1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorway lower speed limit trial

Discussion in 'Motoring Related Discussion' started by Timeandleisure, Sep 13, 2020.

1. OP
    Timeandleisure

Timeandleisure Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL500 2003 R230
    Totally agree with your conclusion only trouble is there is no money in it... (not talking about us mere mortals)...
    p.s. came out of a meeting to read your post :)

Craiglxviii likes this.
  2. OP
    Timeandleisure

Your Mercedes:
    SL500 2003 R230
  3. Craiglxviii

Craiglxviii Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W215 CL500 Motorway Queen; W251 R320L Familybenz, S211 E320 Avg Designo Edition now sadly missed.
    No, that was part of the U.K. gov précis of it ;)

4. EmilysDad

EmilysDad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML350
    they have a pointy end & a blunt end :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  5. Craiglxviii

Your Mercedes:
    W215 CL500 Motorway Queen; W251 R320L Familybenz, S211 E320 Avg Designo Edition now sadly missed.
  6. Craiglxviii

Your Mercedes:
    they have a pointy end & a blunt end :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
    Yep, the pointy back end is to prevent stagnation.

Look at the front end of an air- dropped torpedo, it has a stagnation cup to allow for easy water entry.

EmilysDad likes this.
  7. OP
    Timeandleisure

Your Mercedes:
    SL500 2003 R230
    Oops...

8. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    R171 SLK280 3.0, Land Rover 110 County SW
    And you still bought a 2020 diesel?

Craiglxviii likes this.
  9. OP
    Timeandleisure

Your Mercedes:
    SL500 2003 R230
  10. Craiglxviii

Your Mercedes:
    You’re most welcome. And... due to a number of factors- total waste of a day!

11. OP
    Timeandleisure

Your Mercedes:
    SL500 2003 R230
    Hahaha... your waste my gain as I am definitely equipped with more information than I was this morning from great thought provoking conversations :geek:

12. Doors

Doors Active Member

Your Mercedes:
    GLA 2020 200d
    It would have been nice to go electric however part of what I do requires me to take quite long journeys at very short notice, then when I'm away I certainly don't want the hassle of worrying about getting it charged up. The wonderful thing about fossil fuel is refuelling is fast and very convenient, and at the moment electric is still a bit of an unknown.

So then there is the choice between diesel and petrol. Diesel is by far the best when it comes to CO2 and climate change, Petrol is far better in cities where it produces less of the health damaging pollutants of NOx and particulates. As I live rural and are seldom in towns let alone cities then I believe diesel is still the best for me, I will create about 2 tonnes less CO2 in the next 4 years than if I had went petrol.

One of the main criteria I put on my next car was excellent mpg, and if our choice is as good as the same 200d B Class courtesy car with the that we still have. Then I believe we will have chosen well. it has achieved 65mpg over its first 450 miles with a 78mpg on one run. and that is pretty impressive for a brand new car, when this engine lossens up after 5k I would expect up to another 5 or 10%
    [​IMG]

Nthing wrong in having something mad to drive, it would be a bit irresponsible for an everyday car, but for the occasional sunny day, why not? I do love my cars even though I'm probably coming across as extinction rebellion wannabe :D

sl500amgsport likes this.
  13. Craiglxviii

Your Mercedes:
    Be aware that you’ll likely see negligible improvement over the engine’s running in period, mainly because they are so finely machined nowadays that there isn’t such a period any more.

Like you, I have to undertake potentially countrywide journeys at potentially short notice. What better to do them in than an S Class platform? And, if one can find an engine that never struggles, that’s a match made in heaven...

Timeandleisure likes this.
  14. sl500amgsport

sl500amgsport Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL500 2014
    I have full V8 owning permission as my Carbon footprint is low, work from home 5 days a week, only use the car for long journeys not start stop, I ignore speed limits and only drive at speeds economical to the engine, it is Petrol as I have children and do not want to annihilate their lungs, and I used to own a Hybrid and drove regularly in it at 15mph so only electric motor working.....

I no longer fly annually to Bali in business for my vacations (where I would have been now) but spend the time planting vegetables in the garden thanks to Covid, so my conscience (if I had one) is clear!

Mercedes SL500 R231

15. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    I struggle to see how buying any new car saves the environment...:confused:

The one you have has already been made and the environmental costs have already been accounted for...:cool:

Buying new means disposal of your old one, or if being sold on there will most likely still be a vehicle down the line that will be scrapped. So raw materials and energy being consumed to manufacture and transport your new vehicle and energy and transportation in disposing of your old on.

Maintaining the one(s) you have is better for the environment but not so good for economies or business, which is what the push for "green" is really about.

I don't believe for even a yocto second that you can "buy" yourself "Green" despite the marketing and legislation to the contrary.

Timeandleisure and bembo449 like this.
  16. bembo449

bembo449 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Mercedes Cl500, land rover discovery 3 , insignia vxr , shitron dispatch
    So why isnt anyone standing up for the petrol head / car lovers ?? Its always the same in this country , fossil fuel vehicles are the devil and get battered at every possible turn yet known states any opposing arguments? We have more than enough folk with money , power and influence but all go into hiding when they could be defending the ICE car owner

17. Doors

Doors Active Member

Your Mercedes:
    GLA 2020 200d
    Couldn't agree more but I'm not the only one in this household. The green solution in the vast majority of cases is to keep what you have.

The car we are buying probably generated around 12 tonnes of CO2 in its production and delivery. (these figures are never known but I believe 12t would be a reasonable and low ball park figure)

If our new car gets 60mpg as opposed to our last cars 45mpg
    This would be a saving of 25.2 ml of diesel per mile
    or equivalent to 66 grammes less of CO2 per mile

Therefor payback time would not be for 181,000 miles

Of course cars do eventually come to the end of their lives and need to be replaced, and the above figures do not take that into account, but undoubtedly the desire to have new, and the desire of economies to create demand and spending is the big producer of CO2 and global warming.

So yes, you can't buy into being green, but if you are changing your car for whatever reason then buying a less environmentally damaging one is surely the way to go?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    M80 likes this.
  18. Craiglxviii

Your Mercedes:
    The total “emissions” (energy) input to build a car- from raw material winning to final assembly- is something like (I’m doing this from memory as I can’t find the study atm) 9% of a car’s expected lifetime energy consumption Now the catch is, that’s the 8.1yr first owner lifetime, the only one the car builder is worried about. So run that car beyond 8.1 years and the manufacturing energy fraction starts to drop. Actually, as we go into the future it drops more rapidly due to the lowering of the recovery energy fraction at lifecycle end for recycling/ reprocessing, as our recycling technologies improve hand over fist. Again, just from memory that energy fraction is around 1.0- 1.5% (all the metals & glass have to be remelted and reprocessed, the highest consumers of input energy).

So, we actually do have a situation whereby as automotive technology improves (EVs of whatever flavour), it will be “cheaper” in overall lifetime energy expenditure to actually crush an old cat and buy a newer one.

19. Craiglxviii

Your Mercedes:
    Average family car produces around 24 tons of CO2 across its lifetime. Manufacturing emissions are therefore in the order of 2.0- 2.5 tons, not 12.

20. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    Where are those figures from?