Newbie needs some advice!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
If changing the Command system you will need to completely remove all the D2B fibre optics and replace with copper, remove the Bose Amplifier and unless your replacement amp can cope with 1ohm impedance speakers change the speakers.
The amplifier sits in the boot so as you imagine the rewire is a bit fiddly.
You'll also lose the TV (if fitted), CD changer and mobile phone kit in the armrest as it's all part of the D2B fibre loop.

Last edited:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Good to know about the keys, I will say to them about getting me another standard key. I've read a bit about the command system, it's probably the first thing I will change - prepared for it to be a complete pain to do but using the old system would drive me nuts! Good to know about the SBC too, hopefully there's a good few years life left in it yet! Thanks for the reply
I wouldn’t worry too much about COMAND 2.5. I have it. For the Navi, I’ve used it a lot (all over the mainland and across Europe) and while it isn’t the <best> going, it’s perfectly acceptable and has certainly got me to where I’m going every time.

Sound system wise again it’s not the best, but perfectly acceptable. Depends how much one uses the car (and cares for sound quality for that matter). Rewiring the D2B is a God-awful job best left to the next owner.

Tgere is a good thread on here entitled “My CL500 Project” where the OP details what was necessary to change out his head unit to an Android one. I hope you like lots of having the dash out…

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I wouldn’t worry too much about COMAND 2.5. I have it. For the Navi, I’ve used it a lot (all over the mainland and across Europe) and while it isn’t the <best> going, it’s perfectly acceptable and has certainly got me to where I’m going every time.

Sound system wise again it’s not the best, but perfectly acceptable. Depends how much one uses the car (and cares for sound quality for that matter). Rewiring the D2B is a God-awful job best left to the next owner.

Tgere is a good thread on here entitled “My CL500 Project” where the OP details what was necessary to change out his head unit to an Android one. I hope you like lots of having the dash out…
On a 230 it's the dash, rear trim behind the passenger seat, boot trim, door cards. Loads of fun for a rainy weekend....

OP
K

Koopz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500
This is obviously something you've done and I'm guessing had success with? Any particular threads I should read? I searched for the thread mentioned above but couldn't find anything
On a 230 it's the dash, rear trim behind the passenger seat, boot trim, door cards. Loads of fun for a rainy weekend....

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
This is obviously something you've done and I'm guessing had success with? Any particular threads I should read? I searched for the thread mentioned above but couldn't find anything
Use Google!

OP
K

Koopz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500
Use Google!

Got it, thanks

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
If it is sat nav you're after, I use the iPhone and the missus. I have never used the sat nav in the SL. I use mine as a vintage weekend car, and have learnt to accept their quirks for what they are. If we want decent sat nav we take the Beemer. The sound quality in mine (Bose) is second to none. Personally I do not like some machine telling me where to go, "turn left at the roundabout" no way.

Congrats on the new car, Alistair is right about the early R230s having four keys, the slightly later ones like my 2004 car had only 2 keys, MB ditched the separate card system. Not 100% certain what yours should have, or when they moved to 2 keys.

Last edited:
OP
K

Koopz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500
I've been reading a few threads about doing a conversion from the card to a keyless go key. I'll see how I get on with the card key but that might be something I look at - don't suppose anyone knows if it affects the keyless entry too?

As for the head unit, I've had an android (xtrons) unit in a few of my car's and they are brilliant. Various sat nav programs (I use Sygic), Spotify, DAB, Bluetooth etc. I currently have a mk3 TT with the virtual console and that's a brilliant system as well. Don't know how much I'll miss all the technology yet but we will see - it's something I use a lot tho so would prefer a more modern solution in the SL

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not done it but heavily researched as it was something I wanted to do. Stuffed back in the too hard basket now.
CD changer and TV modules are behind the passenger seat (and I have had the TV module out). Bose amp in the boot. D2B fibre optics between all of them.
Head unit is self explanatory as is the car phone. If you're changing speakers door cards as well. It's not a trivial task

2004 was the change point for Integrated keyless and electronic key. Also coincided with the change to Comand (bigger screen is obvious giveaway) and replacing D2B with MOST fibre optic.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can confirm that having the door cards off is a 2 hour per door job just to remove fasteners/ clips and get everything lined up. Seriously non-trivial work.

eman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
21 EQC 400 Premium Plus
I can confirm that having the door cards off is a 2 hour per door job just to remove fasteners/ clips and get everything lined up. Seriously non-trivial work.
They have a full car stripped in 5 mins when you watch the Yanni videos ;):):)

OP
K

Koopz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500
I've been reading A LOT and it seems there are 2 options - wire the head unit directly to the speakers, using the head unit's built in amp, or replace the Bose amp and all the wiring. Yes you have to pretty much strip the inside of the car but it doesn't seem too complicated, more time consuming

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've been reading A LOT and it seems there are 2 options - wire the head unit directly to the speakers, using the head unit's built in amp, or replace the Bose amp and all the wiring. Yes you have to pretty much strip the inside of the car but it doesn't seem too complicated, more time consuming
It’s not complicated, but it is seriously time consuming, the parts are big & heavy generally and you have high potential to cause damage.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Pretty much it.
Option 1 has the benefit that you can use the existing Bose Amplifier to speaker wiring (after cutting and replacing connectors) and 'simply' run the audio feed for the amplifier from the dash to the boot.
Option 2 has the benefit of being cheaper but will mean removing door cards or at least isolating each speaker wire in the loom then cutting and splicing every speaker wire.
All assuming everything works with the extremely low impedance Bose speakers.

Either option you still need to remove all the old D2B kit (unless you want to cart it round as ballast).

OP
K

Koopz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500
Definitely a long weekend job

OP
K

Koopz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500
The dealer has sent me the vin so I could put it in a decoder and see all the options, and I noticed it has option 854 - "rear entertainment plus".... I did a Google search but can't find what this actually is. Seems like it's normally screens in the back of the headrests but obviously that's not it and the r230 doesn't have any rear seats. Very confused... Anyone know what this option is?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
The dealer has sent me the vin so I could put it in a decoder and see all the options, and I noticed it has option 854 - "rear entertainment plus".... I did a Google search but can't find what this actually is. Seems like it's normally screens in the back of the headrests but obviously that's not it and the r230 doesn't have any rear seats. Very confused... Anyone know what this option is?
Mercedes reuse codes on newer models, the code remains the same but what it means can change. Vin decoders get updated to account for the new models, they then get the latest information as to what the code is as well.
If you can find an old price list they usually have the codes and items and what it cost listed

OP
K

Koopz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500
That makes sense - I'll start searching thanks

EDIT
Ok I found it - it's the phone in the centre armrest for anyone interested in future

Last edited:
OP
K

Koopz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500
Just thought I would update this thread to say the car is now bought! Just have to wait 10 days before I can get over to pick it up. Thanks for all the help, looking forward to being involved on the forum going forward

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just thought I would update this thread to say the car is now bought! Just have to wait 10 days before I can get over to pick it up. Thanks for all the help, looking forward to being involved on the forum going forward
Pics or it didn’t happen ;)

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom