Possible EV.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
General rule of thumb, knock 20% off any manufacturers MPG claim Petrol/Diesel.
So presume same goes for EV distance claims. Be sensible and probably a bit of planning you should never run out of charge, same goes for Petrol/Diesel.
only thing with ICE cars is you can get the fuel pretty much anywhere , cant say the same for an EV eh ?

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
problem with EV is parting with my car, can't contemplate it
I did the hard yards when I sold my 6 year old SL400 earlier this year - could not justify keeping it to do 500 miles a year.

I hate our B-Class (really wife’s car) so anything we buy next will be a step up.

OP
SmartAmg

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
only thing with ICE cars is you can get the fuel pretty much anywhere , cant say the same for an EV eh ?
True, but if you run out of fuel/charge that's your fault, not the car's.

Reactions: DSK

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Had same qualms. Sold it to friend so it's still around.
With energy prices you are paying an EV is a no brainer. My son spent £8000-00 getting a solar array specifically to charge his EV (and run their electric AGA:rolleyes:), it is doing so well that he reckons his payback is is about 4 years and he now wants to do the other side of his garage roof (it is massive) and storage. His wife does 40 miles a day just for the school run ( fuel hungry Audi Q8) so he is now considering an EV for her as well.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Plenty of cheap EVs here

I believe that that was a failed government government / car sharing scheme and not really an EV problem. They have a similar problem in Shanghai with 10s of 1000s of abandoned bicycles due to the collapse of bike sharing schemes.

You must have red Darryll Huff’s book. ;):D

rich.g.williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Kompressor Coupe 2003
Seriously though something about EV power ratings doesn't seem to ring true.

Consider an EV car capable of 250 KWatt power, that's a massive amount of power to get out of a battery even the cabling, assume 250 Volts for a cable to carry 250 KWatt at 250 Volts it has to carry 1000 Amps, that's some massive cable thickness!

Then there is the design of a motor that can actually handle these powers and be kept cool.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Seriously though something about EV power ratings doesn't seem to ring true.

Consider an EV car capable of 250 KWatt power, that's a massive amount of power to get out of a battery even the cabling, assume 250 Volts for a cable to carry 250 KWatt at 250 Volts it has to carry 1000 Amps, that's some massive cable thickness!

Then there is the design of a motor that can actually handle these powers and be kept cool.
Your logic is flawed.

OP
SmartAmg

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
This article by Car Magazine seems to to a good (honest) overview of what range to expect from an EV in freezing winter conditions, there is quite a variation in winter performance with a drop off in range varying from 15-30% depending on brand from their experience

rich.g.williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Kompressor Coupe 2003
Well, think about the fact that a Tesla Model S, 2 motor is rated for 504kW yet works flawlessly.
Yes so 250KWatt per motor, my logic is sound and stands, sure these Tesla motors use three phase (so attached by three wires) and maybe voltage above 250 Volts.

But sorry I'm not buying the idea a Tesla motor the size of a football can dispense 250 KWatt of power as mechanical power.

OP
SmartAmg

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This article by Car Magazine seems to to a good (honest) overview of what range to expect from an EV in freezing winter conditions, there is quite a variation in winter performance with a drop off in range varying from 15-30% depending on brand from their experience

Interesting read but, all the tests they've done to come to the conclusion EV's will use more power in winter.
(No sh1t Sherlock) Think anyone could have told them that. :rolleyes::)

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
EVs have only one source of power so every consumable turned on has a very negative effect on range ie, battery heater, air conditioning, COMAND or equivalent, heated seats and steering wheel etc, the whole idea of the article was to alert those less aware and of course compare range drop off between brands - I call that quite useful :)

OP
SmartAmg

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EVs have only one source of power so every consumable turned on has a very negative effect on range ie, battery heater, air conditioning, COMAND or equivalent, heated seats and steering wheel etc, the whole idea of the article was to alert those less aware and of course compare range drop off between brands - I call that quite useful :)
Agreed it was useful, but obvious. :)

bladecrazy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
tesla model 3 performance /honda cd175/w123 300d gertrude.
most of ev driving is just a wee bit of common sense, would you set off on a 300 mile trip with your car on reserve? i guess not, i wouldnt set off on that trip with 10% battery either, its that simple it really is, as we get older change seems more difficult as we get set in our ways but how do you know if something is really good until you try it for yourself , not what others say maybe mike who lives at no 20 says his mate from works uncles nephew had one for a day and he didnt like it, try it yourself .

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
most of ev driving is just a wee bit of common sense, would you set off on a 300 mile trip with your car on reserve?
Yes, I would as I could fill up in a few minutes then complete said 300 mile trip without issue.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom