R170 Hideous noise. Engine not even running.

Creme Eds

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 200
2 litre Engine.

Well, the engine light came on again in my reliable German vehicle. Runs fine, of course.

It's already on a "see if it comes back again" ticket - last time there was a "air pump and wiring" code which was reset and didn't come back for a while.

This time there is something new; I have a hideous buzzing noise which sounds exactly like a stuck servo motor, it's clearly audible with the ignition on but with the engine not running.

The noise is mostly coming the big air diverter thing at the front of the engine on the right hand side (edit - recirculated air flap acuator?). This seems to be a servo driven butterfly flap - the flap is vertical without the engine running and then moves smartly to the horizontal when the engine starts. So it seems to work, apart from the terrible noise.

I say "mostly" because I unplugged it. Then it seems that whatever it is that sits under the hump/pipe on top and in the middle of the left hand side of the engine edit - (ISC or throttle actuator?) is making more or less exactly the same noise.

So, my guess is that somewhere, buried deep within, is a sensor which is failing to sense something or the other so the ecu so is driving these two servos relentlessly.

Any thoughts?

Eds

Last edited:

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom