It’s not mobile, would entail a breakdown truck to get it there

OP
R

Ronnie11

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 350SL 3.7 2005
Besides which, from past experience, i would
not don’t any confidence in the 2 that are nearest to me….in my opinion absolutley useless

OP
R

Ronnie11

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 350SL 3.7 2005
Besides which, from past experience, i would
not don’t any confidence in the 2 that are nearest to me….in my opinion absolutley useless
Just remembered, it went into one of them for a diagnostics check a while back and came out with the boot lock issue

OP
R

Ronnie11

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 350SL 3.7 2005
After umpteen attempts the key just will not engage with the ignition.
Just wondering now, if I do get in the boot and charge the Aux battery, is this likely to resolve the ignition problem ?

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
After umpteen attempts the key just will not engage with the ignition.
Just wondering now, if I do get in the boot and charge the Aux battery, is this likely to resolve the ignition problem ?
It seems as though the pump doesn't run so it's probably the aux battery.

OP
R

Ronnie11

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 350SL 3.7 2005
It seems as though the pump doesn't run so it's probably the aux battery.
Do you think the pump would effect the ignition ?

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Do you think the pump would effect the ignition ?
No I don't.

Edited to add....maybe the dead flat battery does though, but that's beyond my pay grade...

Last edited:
OP
R

Ronnie11

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 350SL 3.7 2005
Mine too, reason I asked ‍♂️
Hopefully someone in a higher pay grade will come up with answers

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Mine too, reason I asked ‍♂️
Hopefully someone in a higher pay grade will come up with answers
Well, I figure the ignition system has to get power from somewhere and I'm pretty confident it doesn't come from the starter battery....

OP
R

Ronnie11

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 350SL 3.7 2005
Well, I figure the ignition system has to get power from somewhere and I'm pretty confident it doesn't come from the starter battery....
Yea tend to agree, but the key is not even engaging so I cannot even switch anything on..
Seems ridiculous having a starter battery if you need the Aux battery to operate the ignition !

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Yea tend to agree, but the key is not even engaging so I cannot even switch anything on..
Seems ridiculous having a starter battery if you need the Aux battery to operate the ignition !
I'd try to establish where you might be able to safely add a 12volt supply to the rear from wherever you can get access to.
ODB socket springs to mind but not sure.
If you can do that the key might work then at least you can start the car and get enough charge in the Aux battery to open the boot.
Beyond that, join the AA and wait a week.....

OP
R

Ronnie11

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 350SL 3.7 2005
I'd try to establish where you might be able to safely add a 12volt supply to the rear from wherever you can get access to.
ODB socket springs to mind but not sure.
If you can do that the key might work then at least you can start the car and get enough charge in the Aux battery to open the boot.
Beyond that, join the AA and wait a week.....
Thanks for that..I am actually in the AA but no over confident in them resolving bother than just offering to take me to a garage and as
posted earlier my 2 local indies are useless, but might just try the AA anyway…nothing to lose and might just touch lucky and get someone who actually knows what they are doing ..

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Do NOT attach a 12V battery to the OBD2 socket whatever you do!! Halfrauds did that to my S204 a year or more back when changing the battery - "to maintain codes etc.!!" - long story short, cost them £175 re-imbursement for what it cost my indie to figure and fix the fault they had caused, as well as causing me a lost hour or moew at Halfrauds getting mobile, and 2 further days without the car while my indie had to go back to wiring diags and first principles to sort the fault - OBD2 port was dead so diagnostic did not work! Biggest problem was that although car would start, gearstick would not move from P - until the emergency release was found and used (down the side of the gearstick under the surround).

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
It should switch to starter battery when the key is put in and out of ign a few times. Has the op checked the voltage in the starter battery?

OP
R

Ronnie11

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 350SL 3.7 2005
Starter batter fully charged…
Will give the key another go in the morning and if no joy will call the AA out and see if they can come up with anything …

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Christ ain't modern stuff great. Bring in problems that never existed before,
Have to keep both batteries in tip top order these days prob involves changing batts 2 yr earlier than ever before, wots new, progress? For who? More stuff to recycle. Here in France I have a big yellow wheelie bin for recycle. I live, for now on own, every 2 weeks it's crammed with all the shite packaging that everything now comes in, some stuff reques a ****** Stanley knike to get into. How little old ladies don't starve is beyond me, thing is 25 Yr ago no need for all this f packaging. HOW THE F DID WE SURVIVE?
Op good luck. Hope you don't end up having to destroy anything because of shxte design.

OP
R

Ronnie11

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 350SL 3.7 2005
Christ ain't modern stuff great. Bring in problems that never existed before,
Have to keep both batteries in tip top order these days prob involves changing batts 2 yr earlier than ever before, wots new, progress? For who? More stuff to recycle. Here in France I have a big yellow wheelie bin for recycle. I live, for now on own, every 2 weeks it's crammed with all the shite packaging that everything now comes in, some stuff reques a ****** Stanley knike to get into. How little old ladies don't starve is beyond me, thing is 25 Yr ago no need for all this f packaging. HOW THE F DID WE SURVIVE?
Op good luck. Hope you don't end up having to destroy anything because of shxte design.
Bet you feel much better now you have got that off your chest …haha

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Bet you feel much better now you have got that off your chest …haha
Not really. It's endless. Hope op gets in his boot without gettin wallet burnt. Just fit a cable. Why re invent the wheel, with something costiny pence and idiot proof, even for benz designers.

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Do NOT attach a 12V battery to the OBD2 socket whatever you do!! Halfrauds did that to my S204 a year or more back when changing the battery - "to maintain codes etc.!!" - long story short, cost them £175 re-imbursement for what it cost my indie to figure and fix the fault they had caused, as well as causing me a lost hour or moew at Halfrauds getting mobile, and 2 further days without the car while my indie had to go back to wiring diags and first principles to sort the fault - OBD2 port was dead so diagnostic did not work! Biggest problem was that although car would start, gearstick would not move from P - until the emergency release was found and used (down the side of the gearstick under the surround).
Ooops! Sorry! Just trying to think of ways to get the aux battery circuit to get some volts to try the key :eek:

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
It should switch to starter battery when the key is put in and out of ign a few times. Has the op checked the voltage in the starter battery?
Am I right in assuming that if the aux battery is completely flat that the ignition circuit and the key recognition won't work?

Top Bottom