R230 SL350 2006 one month in - thoughts so far

Daydreamer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2006
Picked up a 2006 SL for a good price about 1 month ago. I had resisted SLs in the past given the many stories about running cost. Came across a car which I felt offered very good value compared to others for sale, so spent some evenings lurking on here to get up to speed on what to look for, and did some research on the actual car in question. It had basic spec which meant to me a bit less to go wrong. It had had a boot leak (you could see traces of water ingress) but was dry when i viewed it. Everything worked, and car appeared genuinely well cared for (interior smelt fresh, seats looked like new, just a few stone chips, etc., all panels straight, OK service history, etc.). Having had it for a month and about 1k miles, i thought i would share my impressions in case of use to anyone.

My car has basic spec, and whilst it would be nice to have more gadgets, it lacks for nothing. EXCEPT, when i bought the car, it had not occurred to me that it did not have parking sensors, which we only realised when my wife parked it and could not see the rear from the drivers seat. Silly thing to miss when inspecting, but had simply not occurred to me that a car such as this would come without it. £350 to retro fit, next time I would make sure the car had it in its spec.

Command is clunky. Frankly no real point worrying about latest disks, etc. Using tHe VIN decoder on here, comandonline sorted the right bluetooth gadget, which includes an FM transmitter. Which brings me to the stereo. Which is absolute rubbish, unless the roof is up. Im am not generally concerned at sound quality, but with my wife's Audi having an singing all dancing BOSE system, and a long line of Volvo's which have outstanding systems as standard, I suspect I have gotten spoilt. The standard speaker system in the SL is inadequate even for me, particularly roof down at speed. Very expensive to upgrade so look for upgrades on the spec sheet when buying second hand.

My car is on 19" wheels, which look great, but suspect they adversely affect the ride. The body is not particularly stiff, and the front end tends to skip over bumps in corners with the roof down. Not more than a 3series convertible I had in the past, but noticeable. Having since driven an ABC suspended car, the difference is very noticeable in favour of ABC.

Around town the V6 is lovely. It is very smooth, easy to drive, acceptable fuel consumption (low to mid 20's), and plenty quick enough. Relaxing is the word my wife uses and i concur. The exhaust sound is very similar to how I remember my BMW 335i from a few years ago. Longer journey got over 30mpg, which is remarkable. However, on the open road, it lacks torque and has to be revved and worked hard. I drive sensibly (middle aged man with teenage kids) and my comment is not related to silly speeds on remote roads, but even outer lane give and take motorway traffic, where the reluctance to down shift combined with relatively low power to weight and lazy nature of the engine, means you feel you have to cane it more than you would like to keep up. Perhaps it is more that working the engine and gearbox hard is at odds with the very relaxed nature of the car and its controls generally. Its certainly quick enough on paper, but I think it lacks torque.

Having found that the roof leaked once my car was parked outside, I went to see Malcolm (Television on here) on the south coast (what a lovely man, who is an encyclopedia when it comes to these cars) and sealed the roof (as per his posting on here). No leaks any more, even in a powerwash. Malcolm very kindly took me for a spin in his SL500 with ABC, and I was surprised at how different his car felt from mine. He had smaller rims with higher profile rubber than my car, and his car rode significantly better and had less scuttle shake. The higher torque figure was very obvious. His car is a 2009 facelift, and my car a 2006 facelift, so there may be some additional improvements on his which created the big difference.

In summary, many cars (such as mine) are sold by owners who lose patients with electrical and systems failures and roof leaks, but I think these sort of forums de-risk that significantly if you know what to look for. Having spent a month sorting roof leaks, clearing drains, repairing split airpipes and getting a demo of STAR, my confidence in the car and how it actually works has grown. I think these cars offer exceptional value for money. Even at twice what I paid for my car, it would be exceptional value for money.

Would I recommend the car? Yes, wholeheartedly. The 350 lovely around town, and I highly recommend the car to anyone wanting a comfortable 2 seater convertible. It is also surprisingly economical, and I am hoping due to the lack of complex gadgets, relatively inexpensive to run. It is very easy to drive, incredibly smooth and a very refined and relaxing place to spend time.

However, for me, the 350 does not have enough accessible power, and the lack of ABC is much more noticeable than I thought it would be. The steel suspension of the 350 occasionally highlights the lack of rigidity in the body, whereas the ABC masks it (some of the issue maybe down to my 19" wheels). Having gotten more confident about the car and it systems, I would get an SL500 or even SL55 if I were buying again - the difference in acquisition cost is relatively low, and bought wisely ABC need not cost a fortune, particularly when using the resources on here - it is clear that it has real and tangible benefits to the ride and handling.

Last edited:

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
In my view that looks like a reasonably accurate view 1 month in. .. be interested in your future experiences. I never found I had problems with any of the gadgets on any of mine or the engine but rather it was the other items around leaks and electrical gremlins plus complete loss of confidence every time I put the key in the ignition. .I was expecting the dash to light up. ..

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Dear Sir

You say the body feels flexible and the front end floats. This should not be the case, and the car needs looking at. My 55 SL is extremely stiff and solid over bumps and undulations, and smooth at speed on bad roads.

Bose on the '55 is fantastic, and so is the engine torque.

Sounds to me like you need a '55!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The main thing here is you bought a very clean car to start with. Running the fault code check you had nothing at all. Most cars that I have tested could print out several A4 pages.

Talking about the sound in these cars, it did not take you long to notice that the optimum sound can only be heard if you put your head down to dash level.
My last SL had the Bose fitted, they make a lot of noise, but still the same problem in that when just sitting in the car you still miss all the mid to upper frequencies. In my new one the 09 spec car with Harmon they have overcome this by fitting 2 smaller mid range speakers that face upwards, and for a car installation it is pretty good. I have no way of knowing if these loudspeakers would fit the earlier cars, but if they did it would make a huge improvement.

Many buy the 350 over the 500 to avoid suspension cost maybe at some point in time, on driving the 2 cars the main thing is the 500 does not pitch or roll, plus the road surface is damped out, power wise , yes quite some difference between the 2. Where you live and your driving habits can play a big part. If the car is going to be driven mainly in London or area like North Devon, then the 350 is great, and better on fuel. Many are happy with the 350 as it serves their needs well, it would be interesting to know how many of each were sold new.

This was another car where a new PSE pump had been fitted, the muli contour seats did not work and gave the usual silly "leak in seat" but of coarse in reality all it was the dealer had not programed the pump. Once activated it was perfect. I have seen and had this so many times.

I do not think there will be much change in the value of these cars now, a nice clean one like this one, will hold its value for many years to come.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
But tbh the biggest thing I miss between the SL 500 and the 350 is the wonderful growl of that big v8 engine..Tbh I really didn't notice much difference in mpg between the 09 350 and the 02 500 ...

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

OP
D

Daydreamer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2006
I am going to inspect the front suspension (the car is 8 years old and I doubt the bushes, etc. have ever been looked at), and possibly source some 18" wheels with higher profile tyres and see if that settles the scuttle shake/bouncy front end a bit. Don't get me wrong - its no worse than other convertibles I have owned, but more than I was expecting given that the car was designed as a convertible as opposed to a coupe where they then chopped the roof off. Agree with all the comments above. And yes Mark, I "need" an SL55. Most definitely. However, for the moment, I am very happy with the 350 - it meets my particular requirements very well indeed.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
sl

i run the sl600 a 03 with 34k miles since new almost all the extras and full benz service history up to when i bought it a year ago . very happy to date .changed oil and filters 2x in 900 miles ,1 yrs motoring , i like to be sure inards clean ! i had an hrs bother with the d/s quarter window not closing properly when the consumer batt ran down which had me panic a bit but a day or two on the ctek and no hassle since a windows reset and the same day the seat went forward and then would not come back resolved at the same time . i think it has awsome power. some arse in a bmw coupe shot past me a while ago in a bad overtaking place .i came alongside at the next lights .they went green as i rolled in, i know the place well ,so i floored it .the car snaked up the road and actually worried me a bit, it was a little damp !! the sight of the bmw dissappearing in my rear view brought a smile . i very very rarely do this kind of thing . i fly as well and know that showing off will eventually cost one a lot of money or kill you ...but on that day i thought the car well worth the expence .......

Last edited:

Devonian

Reaction score
Re the wheel size. We have 2 SL350's. One had 18" rims and the other 17". We found a considerable difference in ride quality with the 17 's ( better). No doubt the suspension on the 500 makes up for it but with the 350's my opinion is they ride and handle much better on 17's
I have a spare set of 17" wheels so if you fancy trying then on your car you're welcome to do so if you're not too far away from Devon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

crippo2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 (R230) & CLK350 (W209)
.......so i floored it .the car snaked up the road and actually worried me a bit, it was a little damp !!...... i very very rarely do this kind of thing . i fly as well and know that showing off will eventually cost one a lot of money or kill you .........

As the saying goes: there are old pilots and there are bold pilots; there are no old bold pilots! Also, of course, when flying, it is not the amount of air above you that kills, it is the lack of it below.

OP
D

Daydreamer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2006
Very kind Devonian - i am in SW London, so a bit far to try a pair of shoes. Thank you for the offer, however.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
As the saying goes: there are old pilots and there are bold pilots; there are no old bold pilots! Also, of course, when flying, it is not the amount of air above you that kills, it is the lack of it below.

As a wise old chap used to tell me, stay away from the edges of the air space... That's where accidents happen!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As a wise old chap used to tell me, stay away from the edges of the air space... That's where accidents happen!

Is aviation that far behind :confused: Sailors discovered that the world was round years ago.

OP
D

Daydreamer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2006
Discovered another beautiful bit of design/characteristic of being folding hard top. Spent most of weekend polishing and waxing the car, and drying the inside of the boot with sun and hairdryer. Today was the first amount of meaningful rain since. All bone dry, excellent.

Come out of supermarket, arms full of shopping. Manage to unlock boot. Grab boot lid with little finger and push up so I can dump shopping in boot. All the water which has accumulated on the boot-lid pours off the highly polished/waxed and therefore very slippery surface straight into boot.
Lesson 1: Open boot slowly to allow water to pour away in an orderly fashion.

Drive out of supermarket car park wondering how I dry out the boot when I am travelling most of the coming week. Open window to put ticket into car park exit machine, turn left onto main road, boot it to get in a gap, to find that all the water accumulated on the very slippery and waxed/polished roof is now all over my left arm and the inside of the door.
Lesson 2: Do not turn left with open window in car which has no rails along the roof when raining.

No doubt many more lessons to go.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You are getting the hang of them :D:D When too much water goes in the drivers door switches, then the windows can go funny till dried out, and yes you cannot open the windows when driving in any rain. If the boot lid is wet, then I brush it off with my hand (my car never gets dirty)

Nice cars though.:D:D

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
Discovered another beautiful bit of design/characteristic of being folding hard top. Spent most of weekend polishing and waxing the car, and drying the inside of the boot with sun and hairdryer. Today was the first amount of meaningful rain since. All bone dry, excellent.

Come out of supermarket, arms full of shopping. Manage to unlock boot. Grab boot lid with little finger and push up so I can dump shopping in boot. All the water which has accumulated on the boot-lid pours off the highly polished/waxed and therefore very slippery surface straight into boot.
Lesson 1: Open boot slowly to allow water to pour away in an orderly fashion.

Drive out of supermarket car park wondering how I dry out the boot when I am travelling most of the coming week. Open window to put ticket into car park exit machine, turn left onto main road, boot it to get in a gap, to find that all the water accumulated on the very slippery and waxed/polished roof is now all over my left arm and the inside of the door.
Lesson 2: Do not turn left with open window in car which has no rails along the roof when raining.

No doubt many more lessons to go.

Lesson 3.....in advance......warm sunshine but the car is wet from, say, a freak shower. Do not put the roof down when wet......another efficient way of filling the boot with water from the roof.

Mic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2007 3.7
Daydreamer

Your experiences sound very similar to my own. After owning an SLK for 15 years from new we decided to upgrade to a 350SL. We found a very nice 2007 car with only 25,000 miles and excellent service history (5 services carried out on a time and not mileage basis) Again a basic spec. car with no parking sensors, one has to ask why these are not standard on a £66K car?

We were unfortunate to require a replacement SBC pump a couple of months after buying the car but our local Mercedes dealer was able to replace this under goodwill at no cost to us, result!!

I love the noise the car makes under hard acceleration through the gears, a nice growl.I agree it is short of torque compared to a 500 but it is plenty fast enough for me!It was serviced and MOT'd yesterday prior to our holiday to Italy on Thursday and required no extra work or advisories.

Our non elective costs to date have been nil other than replacing the noisy Woolfrace back boxes with OEM parts at a cost of £300 for the boxes from Euromerc and £120 labour from my Indie. MB quoted £760 for the job!

In short a superb car a year on from purchase, wonderful value for money and reasonably economical on fuel if you don't floor it!

John

carnut13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL400 & Audi A1 Sport
I have recently returned from a 3100 mile tour around Europe including Italy and Italian Lakes & Alps...fabulous trip in a fabulous car.

Enjoy yourself:p

If you are doing a stop in France I can recommend the Chateaufort at Sedan where Mic and I met up on separate itineries. I can also recommend Lenno on lake Como

PM me if you want to

PS don't put the roof down when its wet either..it wont be just the boot that gets wet, you and your passenger will!

Last edited:

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2007 3.7
Carnut

Thanks for that, our route is commited to Langres in France as our stop on the way to the Adriatic. Burgundy on the way back. Forecast is for two weeks of 80 degree sunshine with the odd t'storm. In Glasgow it is 40mph wind and 45 degrees today with the odd downpour thrown in!

John

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have recently returned from a 3100 mile tour around Europe including Italy and Italian Lakes & Alps...fabulous trip in a fabulous car.

Enjoy yourself:p

If you are doing a stop in France I can recommend the Chateaufort at Sedan where Mic and I met up on separate itineries. I can also recommend Lenno on lake Como

PM me if you want to

PS don't put the roof down when its wet either..it wont be just the boot that gets wet, you and your passenger will!

I can remember showing how my roof worked at the 2nd ever mercedes meet and I got soaked through. :D:D

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Yep, don't operate the roof when wet. We should compile some "Rules of 230 ownership". This would be rule number 1.

Last edited:

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom