Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Don't operate the washers with roof down, as my o/h found out. :D

andynpz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 GLE 350d, navy-blue, --- SWMBO's car, 2007 SL 350, (R230) silver.
Don't operate the roof if rear of car is close to a wall, garage door, other car, etc.

I have nearly done it twice (in 3 years) with the car in the garage, when I wanted to clean the interior. Oops!!

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Don't operate the roof if rear of car is close to a wall, garage door, other car, etc.

I have nearly done it twice (in 3 years) with the car in the garage, when I wanted to clean the interior. Oops!!

Ouch:(

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Don't operate the washers with roof down, as my o/h found out. :D

Very true. There is a technique that works - short sharp squirts are ok at the right point of the wiper arc, but get it wrong and your toupe gets a wash.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I wonder if we could convert the blades to the new type with the water built in.

OP
D

Daydreamer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2006
R230 SL350 after 1 year

Had the car for just over a year, and I have to say its been excellent. I still have issues with the engine/transmission and lack of oomph, but it is oh so easy to live with. It drives in quite a presidential manner, and I love the velvet/viscous steering and progressive brakes. Refinement is first class, but the standard speakers are appalling. The aircon and heater is previous generation, with the oddity that it will only blow half of max if the roof is down, or all of max when the roof is up (can manually override). I installed the Bluetooth dongle in the centre armrest, but in hindsight would have done the more extensive installation which allows streaming but removes the CD changer. Aside from an aux battery discharge on a couple of occasions (which seems to happen when for some reason the radio or command system does not shut down properly), there have been no issues. Malcolm's waterproofing of the seals works perfectly, and I have not had a single gremlin, fault or leak. One upside of the engine/transmission encouraging gentlemanly progress rather than spirited driving is that tyre wear is virtually zero. In fact, running costs have been very low considering the car is 10 years old and quite complex. Fuel economy (25mpg in mixed driving over 30 on a run) is astonishing considering the engine size and weight of the car.

I am now selling the car because I found myself too many times having to take more than 1 passenger and being in the wrong car, and because my hobbies involve lugging stuff around. Also, having scratched this itch, there are some others awaiting attention. All-in all, these cars are an absolute bargain - a huge amount of car for the cash, and my all-in cost for the 15 months has been very low indeed. I will be back on due course, but in a bigger engine version.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I will be back on due course, but in a bigger engine version.

Good decision. Although many are happy with the 6, such a car needs a V8 IMHO. Or V12 of course, if you're feeling brave.

Last edited:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Had the car for just over a year, and I have to say its been excellent. I still have issues with the engine/transmission and lack of oomph, but it is oh so easy to live with. It drives in quite a presidential manner, and I love the velvet/viscous steering and progressive brakes. Refinement is first class, but the standard speakers are appalling. The aircon and heater is previous generation, with the oddity that it will only blow half of max if the roof is down, or all of max when the roof is up (can manually override). I installed the Bluetooth dongle in the centre armrest, but in hindsight would have done the more extensive installation which allows streaming but removes the CD changer. Aside from an aux battery discharge on a couple of occasions (which seems to happen when for some reason the radio or command system does not shut down properly), there have been no issues. Malcolm's waterproofing of the seals works perfectly, and I have not had a single gremlin, fault or leak. One upside of the engine/transmission encouraging gentlemanly progress rather than spirited driving is that tyre wear is virtually zero. In fact, running costs have been very low considering the car is 10 years old and quite complex. Fuel economy (25mpg in mixed driving over 30 on a run) is astonishing considering the engine size and weight of the car.

I am now selling the car because I found myself too many times having to take more than 1 passenger and being in the wrong car, and because my hobbies involve lugging stuff around. Also, having scratched this itch, there are some others awaiting attention. All-in all, these cars are an absolute bargain - a huge amount of car for the cash, and my all-in cost for the 15 months has been very low indeed. I will be back on due course, but in a bigger engine version.

Such a lovely series of posts. OK so you have now qualified, you are allowed to buy the 4-seater variant in V8 or V12 only, no soft top any more for you sunshine. Yes, you may exchange the "S" for "C" and slot yourself into that rarefied category of CL ownership...

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Such a lovely series of posts. OK so you have now qualified, you are allowed to buy the 4-seater variant in V8 or V12 only, no soft top any more for you sunshine. Yes, you may exchange the "S" for "C" and slot yourself into that rarefied category of CL ownership...

May as well give up living if you do that ;) V8 or V12 as has been said but keep your top down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suprapaul

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cls 320 cdi, SL 350
I have had my SL350 for about 6 weeks now. It has the Bose upgrade, but still lacks the quality of sound the CLS unit puts out :(
One observation I will make that is glaringly obvious to me. I know why there is no diesel SL350. It would blow the 500 petrol away in midrange acceleration and make the 350 petrol redundant.
I do love it though, but wish our weather was better.....:mad:

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I have had my SL350 for about 6 weeks now. It has the Bose upgrade, but still lacks the quality of sound the CLS unit puts out :(
One observation I will make that is glaringly obvious to me. I know why there is no diesel SL350. It would blow the 500 petrol away in midrange acceleration and make the 350 petrol redundant.
I do love it though, but wish our weather was better.....:mad:

I think traditionally MB haven't fitted a diesel in the SL because noise and fumes were a problem in a convertible, but modern diesel engines are so much quieter and cleaner, so they have put the 250 cdi in the SLK. SL may be next, who knows ? The 350 diesel maybe ?

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
But diesels are still under the hammer for the particle outputs.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
But diesels are still under the hammer for the particle outputs.

Yes it comes down to personal preference, I would always have a petrol V8, as that suits the character of the car, silent if you want, torquey, wafty, odourless, very fast with a lovely sound if you apply your right foot.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes it comes down to personal preference, I would always have a petrol V8, as that suits the character of the car, silent if you want, torquey, wafty, odourless, very fast with a lovely sound if you apply your right foot.

There are new laws on emissions on the way that must be met, think it is 01-2017, we are all in the dark so far as to whether the figures can be reached.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I've never really understood why anyone would want a diesel convertible. The exhaust smell, clatter and coarseness compared to a V8 just doesn't make sense to me.
I know modern 6 cylinder diesels are very good but they still aren't as smooth or quiet as a petrol V6 or V8.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
A Diesel SL is just not Cricket!!!!!

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Next thing you know Ferrari/Rolls Royce and Bentley will be releasing small capacity 4 cylinder turbos!

Can you imagine a Bentley Arnage with a 1.4TSI VW engine trying to pull it lol

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Can you imagine a Bentley Arnage with a 1.4TSI VW engine trying to pull it lol

Well at least while driving flat out at 20mph everyone could see what a fine car that you have.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
I've never really understood why anyone would want a diesel convertible. The exhaust smell, clatter and coarseness compared to a V8 just doesn't make sense to me

My E cabriolet is diesel ... No smell , no clatter and very smooth ... :p

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom