R230 SL55 stuck in park, anyway to get it going?

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Blimey. Interesting photos. Good luck with putting it all back, George.

OP
G

Goliath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'03 SL55 AMG
In case anyone is interested, or for future reference. These photos might be of interest:

This first photo shows the notch which stops the gear stick being pushed forward out of neutral, this only locks if the plastic clip is not present.

In this photo you can see the notch which locks it in park (blue) and the pin (blue arrow). You can also just make out part of the spring which pushes the lever away from this 'park' lock, so with the plastic clip removed it will not get stuck in park, but that spring pushes the lever into the neutral lock which you can see in the first photo (not this one)

I am fairly sure I could remove that lever completely, it doesn't look like it will cause any issues, but I would quite like to replace the plastic clip with a metal one so it is all working correctly.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hopefully Alex will come back as he has been there and done it, you could PM him.

OP
G

Goliath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'03 SL55 AMG
Another slight issue is that I cannot remove the key from the ignition now that the gear lever assembly is removed, what do I need to fiddle with to get the car to think it is in park? Do I need to pull the gear rod back to put the gearbox in park, or is it the sensor that connects to the front of the gear lever assembly that determines whether it is in park or not?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is one of the interlock cables that stop the key from coming out. not good leaving the key in. by pulling the inner cable should release the key.

It is the same gear shift as used on the 220/215

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Hello,

Those pictures don't remind me what they looked like, but I do remember having the shifter dismantled and having to drill out some rivets on the large metal plate that covers it all.

It was a small black plastic clip that was actuated via the solenoid.

OP
G

Goliath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'03 SL55 AMG
Hello,

Those pictures don't remind me what they looked like, but I do remember having the shifter dismantled and having to drill out some rivets on the large metal plate that covers it all.

It was a small black plastic clip that was actuated via the solenoid.

Indeed, I have removed that small black plastic clip as it was broken in 2. I managed to remove it without drilling and of the rivets. However with that plastic clip removed the gear lever will not move forward out of neutral, it will only move between drive and neutral.

OP
G

Goliath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'03 SL55 AMG
Well, I decided to try putting the car back together with the plastic clip removed. I also removed the metal arm as pictured above so the gearstick would not lock in neutral.

Unfortunately with it mostly back together the dash beeps with a red warning saying 'move gear selector to park' when the key is removed. Well, it is in park ffs!

Any ideas?

EDIT: it obviously knows it is in park as it will allow the key to be removed from the ignition, so I am confused as to why it comes up with the warning saying it is not in park.

I have moved the car a couple of feet on the driveway and the gears work, it selects P, R, N, D, all as it should

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This must be to do with the selector switch, the inter lock cables must be fitted.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well, I decided to try putting the car back together with the plastic clip removed. I also removed the metal arm as pictured above so the gearstick would not lock in neutral.

Unfortunately with it mostly back together the dash beeps with a red warning saying 'move gear selector to park' when the key is removed. Well, it is in park ffs!

Any ideas?

My R230 does this randomly when it is in park, starting it or turning the key often removes the message. You haven't got a flat rear battery do you?

Either that, or you did not plug the can connector back into the selector module.

OP
G

Goliath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'03 SL55 AMG
I do have a low rear battery due to it being stood for a while, when I start the engine it says consumers offline for a short while.

When refitting the gear lever I connected 4 things:
Gear selector rod,
Cable (sprung) on front of unit,
Small 2 pin electrical connector (Stop/Start I think)
approx 6 pin electrical connector.

OP
G

Goliath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'03 SL55 AMG
My R230 does this randomly when it is in park, starting it or turning the key often removes the message. You haven't got a flat rear battery do you?

Either that, or you did not plug the can connector back into the selector module.

The message only appear if the key is removed from the ignition and the drivers door is open.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Small 2 pin electrical connector (Stop/Start I think)
approx 6 pin electrical connector.

Those are the two.

Get the rear battery charged up and see if the message disappears, bet it does.

Last edited:
OP
G

Goliath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'03 SL55 AMG
Ok will do, I'll finish putting it back together and take it for a drive :)

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The message only appear if the key is removed from the ignition and the drivers door is open.

Same as mine and others I have worked on.

OP
G

Goliath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'03 SL55 AMG
Well I have run the car enough for the consumers to come back online and then kept it running for about 30 mins after that but the message still comes up on the dash when I remove the key and then open the drivers door.

I will get it on star and delete all fault codes in case it has picked up any from things being unplugged, but failing that any other ideas?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well I have run the car enough for the consumers to come back online and then kept it running for about 30 mins after that but the message still comes up on the dash when I remove the key and then open the drivers door.

I will get it on star and delete all fault codes in case it has picked up any from things being unplugged, but failing that any other ideas?

Does the message stay on the screen constantly with the door open?

Get star on it and do a CAN check through the CGW.

OP
G

Goliath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'03 SL55 AMG
Does the message stay on the screen constantly with the door open?

Get star on it and do a CAN check through the CGW.

Yes, message and beeping are constant until the door is closed or the key put back in the ignition.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom