R230 SL55 stuck in park, anyway to get it going?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Central gate way

OP
G

Goliath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'03 SL55 AMG
Central gate way

Thanks, I'll try and find it on star!

I did a quick test and deleted all the fault codes but still I get the message saying to put the lever in park. I have also taken the car for a good drive and the batteries are charged up fully now.

I removed the gearstick leather gaiter just to check and I can see through the hole that both plugs and the cable thingy are plugged in correctly.

I think I can discount the cable as being anything to do with it, as when I had the gear lever unit removed I successfully pushed on the cable to release the key from the ignition, so that's obviously what it controls and at the moment the key will come out of the ignition correctly when the lever is in park.

So I think it must be a separate switch/sensor somewhere that throws up the warning.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As the fault comes up it will be on STAR, I would not worry about the gateway.

It has to be the way the lever locks in P

OP
G

Goliath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'03 SL55 AMG
No further progress with tracking down this fault. I did get the car MOT'd today though which was a success!

I can't see a fault relating to this when looking on star, not sure if I am looking in the right module though, any idea where it is most likely to show up?

I may refit the metal lever that I removed but file smooth the notches that lock it in park/neutral as my only guess is that this lever must press on a sensor somewhere.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That sounds a good plan, it has to be something like that.

OP
G

Goliath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'03 SL55 AMG
Well, no real surprise, it turns out it was my own stupid fault that this warning is coming up. It turns out I plugged in the wrong connector to the gear lever assembly. I should have plugged in a 3 pin connector which has 2 wires coming out of it, instead I plugged in a 2 pin connector that has only one wire coming out of it. I am not sure what this 2 pin plug with 1 wire is for, it seems to be redundant....?

On the plus side, I took the whole thing apart and put it back together again in 2 hours, including removing the gear lever assembly and refitting the plastic clip (which I have fixed and modified so it should not break again). I have all the tools needed in the car so should it break again I will be able to whip it out in no time!

Just in time for a 700 mile round trip coming up tomorrow!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That is good news, you are a smashing guy with what you take on.:D:D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just think, spring is next on the time scale and you will be blasting around with the roof down, better if it started on the button. I wonder if those spare plugs are to do with the non starting.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
With the faults this car has had, I'd be sorely tempted to get rid of it right now before the next fault arrives.
Kudos to you for sticking with it and fixing the many problems this car has had.
Put the word out and you'll have SL owners coming to you from miles around for fixes:p

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Glad to hear you have it sorted now.

OP
G

Goliath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'03 SL55 AMG
With the faults this car has had, I'd be sorely tempted to get rid of it right now before the next fault arrives.
Kudos to you for sticking with it and fixing the many problems this car has had.
Put the word out and you'll have SL owners coming to you from miles around for fixes:p

At least I know that there's not much left to go wrong now as I've fixed it all! I bought the car knowing it had problems and I have managed to fix all but one of those problems with relative ease with all the help on here. What has really wound me up is the 'common problems' that have arisen since I have owned it, namely this gear stick issue, but also the SBC fault which I am still getting and no closer to resolving :(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Did you notice if the gear shift lever was plugged into something.

OP
G

Goliath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'03 SL55 AMG
Did you notice if the gear shift lever was plugged into something.

The only electrical connections are the 2 plugs in the photo on the previous page, one is 5 or 6 pins and the other is a 3 pin plug (but only 2 wires).

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I will try and see if the gear shift is shown on the wiring diagrams

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
gear shift

wow goliath .... yr a star ... good on you for getting it sorted . BUT what a car !!!!!! 8 pages on this forum to sort out a ****** stuck gear shift...all cars and come to that ,anything mechanical have issues but , though right now i have zero issues with my 600 i am sorely tempted to sell it on while it remains that way.... i have 36,700 miles on my 03 but at times i think all the write ups i read on this stop me from enjoying the car . last week a lovely run to caen , almost forgot about all the possible mega dramas .

Last edited:

tiern8546

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl 350 r230 2003
my stick has the stop start button in the knob how can I avoid damage to this
if I hit the shaft down

tiern8546

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl 350 r230 2003
how do I avoid damage to the stop/start button does it come off the shat if so how please sorry to be a pain but thanks for any help

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom