Recall on GL, R, ML brake booster

Paddymph

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk 320 - 2000.
Did yours just have the visual check or the functional check as well?
I’ve no idea. Just had a knock at the door after 90 minutes saying passed, and the letter to say all ok. He’s obviously messed it up. Pretty angry about it, more time off work to sort this now

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
90 minutes suggests functional test as well. The visual test only takes 5 minutes.

Check underneath and around the master cylinder for any leaking fluid. The functional test requires high pressure on the pedal which may have caused a weak pipe to leak (which is good when you think about it as it has happened during an emergency stop).

Paddymph

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk 320 - 2000.
90 minutes suggests functional test as well. The visual test only takes 5 minutes.

Check underneath and around the master cylinder for any leaking fluid. The functional test requires high pressure on the pedal which may have caused a weak pipe to leak (which is good when you think about it as it has happened during an emergency stop).
Sounds plausible. Who’s liable though ‍♂️

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Sounds plausible. Who’s liable though ‍♂️
If it's a pipe failure most likely you as pipes are not part of the recall and the weakness has been there prior to testing.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
So my car PASSED the check today, 20 miles ago - and now I have a spongy pedal and a red warning light telling me brake fluid error. not impressed, how could it be loosing fluid now?! View attachment 77371
Hmm. The test requires the technician to apply quite a high pedal effort to your car. Almost certainly you have a rusty brake line, probably towards the back, which has burst and is now leaking. Look underneath for any dripping. Please do not drive your car, for yours and others safety.

Paddymph

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk 320 - 2000.
Hmm. The test requires the technician to apply quite a high pedal effort to your car. Almost certainly you have a rusty brake line, probably towards the back, which has burst and is now leaking. Look underneath for any dripping. Please do not drive your car, for yours and others safety.
I wonder if this pressure test is over what standard driving would be? Seems unfair if I have to fork out if it was the machine broke it. ‍♂️ Could some fluid have just leaked out during the test? I didn’t see what they did to it

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
I wonder if this pressure test is over what standard driving would be? Seems unfair if I have to fork out if it was the machine broke it. ‍♂️ Could some fluid have just leaked out during the test? I didn’t see what they did to it
No fluid can just leak. Essentially what the test requires them to perform is a full emergency stop to check that the servo is not internally corroded to the point that the master cylinder can be torn off by heavy pedal application. This naturally will apply full pressure to the hydraulic system and any weakness there will also be exposed. I know it’s annoying that they have caused this problem, but look at the bigger picture - if you had needed to perform an emergency stop out on the road this problem would have been there. A couple of months further on the issue would have been more advanced, and you may not have been able to avoid running over that child…

Paddymph

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk 320 - 2000.
No fluid can just leak. Essentially what the test requires them to perform is a full emergency stop to check that the servo is not internally corroded to the point that the master cylinder can be torn off by heavy pedal application. This naturally will apply full pressure to the hydraulic system and any weakness there will also be exposed. I know it’s annoying that they have caused this problem, but look at the bigger picture - if you had needed to perform an emergency stop out on the road this problem would have been there. A couple of months further on the issue would have been more advanced, and you may not have been able to avoid running over that child…
Good point. I’ll have to get it to the garage. Thanks for the advice. Is it an expensive fix? 2011 ML350 Grand

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
It’s more than likely a rusty rear brake line. They are hidden from the MoT tester’s eye by plastic undertrays. I’ve repaired a few. It’s a bit of work, but not horrendous. Make sure they use cupro-nickel pipe to replace it and you’ll never need to touch them again.
Have a look under the car for drips. If it’s leaking I’d really advise not to drive it.

Paddymph

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk 320 - 2000.
It’s more than likely a rusty rear brake line. They are hidden from the MoT tester’s eye by plastic undertrays. I’ve repaired a few. It’s a bit of work, but not horrendous. Make sure they use cupro-nickel pipe to replace it and you’ll never need to touch them again.
Have a look under the car for drips. If it’s leaking I’d really advise not to drive it.
Hang on a sec though, if it’s been pressure tested and passed how did they not pick up a leaking brake line, if that’s what it is?

Richard Moakes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500; ML500
I watched the test performed on my ML, and spent an enjoyable time chatting to the Mobilo engineer. I can confirm that the repeated pressure applied to the pedal, for which he needed two feet to accomplish the pressure required by the test, would have found a weak brake line. The engineer and myself both commented the same (it was his first time performing the test) and he was surprised by the extreme pressure required on the brake pedal for the test to pass.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I watched the test performed on my ML, and spent an enjoyable time chatting to the Mobilo engineer. I can confirm that the repeated pressure applied to the pedal, for which he needed two feet to accomplish the pressure required by the test, would have found a weak brake line. The engineer and myself both commented the same (it was his first time performing the test) and he was surprised by the extreme pressure required on the brake pedal for the test to pass.
Same as my experience.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
It used to be a Benz was for life....
But like prison sentences "life" has been re defined. Just us older folk kind of expect life to mean life and it just don't. Not in terms of consumer goods. My hilman minx, when i get it will likely be a early 60,s model and was near built for life as is plain to see. One can lean on the panels without having to replace them! And if bought as unmolested model I will pay more. And it might even last another 50 Yr. Nothin benz make now will do that!.. I hear already the shrieks of. Well nothin else does... But that was the call of benz 30 Yr ago u paid for and got quality. Now they just the same as most other makes but parts are a till "QUALITY"prices!!!!

Paddymph

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk 320 - 2000.
Ok so update. Car is at Merc. The full check is tomorrow however they are suspecting failed brake lines cause due to pressure test. This IS covered underneath the warranty recall so there is no cost to the customer - they acknowledge that the pressure test will have the potential to break other parts therefore they are liable. This is from the Mercedes dealer who has the car. They will re-run the test on the brake booster but are saying it’s likely 3 month wait. £40 a day refund for hire ONCE you’ve paid and submitted the bill OR £30 a day compo without a hire bill being submitted - for the duration of time the car is off the road.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
£40 a day refund for hire ONCE you’ve paid and submitted the bill OR £30 a day compo without a hire bill being submitted - for the duration of time the car is off the road.
I'd go back to them and say that's unacceptable.
It's down to a shortcoming caused by Mercedes that your car is not available for you to use therefore their responsibility to provide alternative transport at no cost or inconvenience to you.

My dealer was searching a vehicle for me to use as we were going on holiday when they thought it had failed. No costs to me were mentioned by them.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
..... but are saying it’s likely 3 month wait. £40 a day refund for hire ONCE you’ve paid and submitted the bill OR £30 a day compo without a hire bill being submitted - for the duration of time the car is off the road.
that's taking the proverbial ....

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
S
I'd go back to them and say that's unacceptable.
It's down to a shortcoming caused by Mercedes that your car is not available for you to use therefore their responsibility to provide alternative transport at no cost or inconvenience to you.

My dealer was searching a vehicle for me to use as we were going on holiday when they thought it had failed. No costs to me were mentioned by them.
Sounds like benz will shortly "modify" the stress test stds. Will have to check if my brick is subject to this recall. R. R wheel speed sensor was 138£ .
Hope they don't present you with invoice for recall.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S

Sounds like benz will shortly "modify" the stress test stds. Will have to check if my brick is subject to this recall. R. R wheel speed sensor was 138£ .
Hope they don't present you with invoice for recall.
Nope no invoice.

Put your reg in the MOT check site and it should tell you.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom