S202 Front wheel bearing stuck

gothic_merc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w202 cdi estate 1999 2.2, W210 E320 CDI
My front wheel bearing decided to give up, upon stripping down there was hardly any grease in there and not of the usual green stuff. Noisy as anything

I struggled to get the hub off as the rear seal wouldn't come over the rib on the spindle. it actually was pulled off when I removed it.

I've replaced all the bits and now its not going back on again, caught in the same way as it was when removing, on the rear seal.

Any ideas? I assumed they just slip on with relative ease.

Kind regards

Jon

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Are you sure that the complete old bearing has come off. The inner bearing ring normally
Is very tight on the stub axle and never comes off without a fight. The stub axle should not have a collar or ridge.. can you post a pic of your stub axle.

OP
gothic_merc

gothic_merc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
this bit? could be the issue but didn't want to budge.

jon

Attachments

• 20170102_152942.jpg
    20170102_152942.jpg
    525.4 KB · Views: 37

MercSLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK320/2003/M112
Been there! PM sent. Reason for answering in this way explained in PM.

HTH

MercSLK

OP
gothic_merc

gothic_merc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The offending item is off, not one I've done before, thanks gentlemen, happy 2017 to you both

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Cabrio and a Ford Kuga
The offending item is off, not one I've done before, thanks gentlemen, happy 2017 to you both

That's happened to me before as well when I accidentally reused the reluctor ring off the old bearing. the race came apart and the inner ring of the needle race stayed on the stub and there's less than half a millimetre of it showing where you can get a hub puller on it. There was no way I could get it off with a chisel and hammer either.

I managed to get it off by holding the teeth of the hub puller tight on to it then screwing on a large jubilee clip to keep the teeth engaged. Otherwise you need about five hands to keep everything in place then turn the screw on the hub puller.

OP
gothic_merc

gothic_merc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That's happened to me before as well when I accidentally reused the reluctor ring off the old bearing. the race came apart and the inner ring of the needle race stayed on the stub and there's less than half a millimetre of it showing where you can get a hub puller on it. There was no way I could get it off with a chisel and hammer either.

I managed to get it off by holding the teeth of the hub puller tight on to it then screwing on a large jubilee clip to keep the teeth engaged. Otherwise you need about five hands to keep everything in place then turn the screw on the hub puller.

I turned the steering so I could gently tap a chisel in the gap, Once I got a bit of a gap I moved too a large screw driver and use that to gently pry more of a gap. At this point I was able to angle the chisel onto the outer lip and carefully tap it out. It took over an hour and doubted I was making much difference but somehow it worked.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom