S320 - 2001 Vibration issue!

GAFFER

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S 320 2001 & E230 1997
Hi Guys,
Im wondering if any can help me here, I have a 2001 *Rust Bucket S320 V6 Petrol. Its now covered 147K and over the last few months its been vibrating while driving, prior to that I thought one of the cats has gone as it was making a metalic kind of noise from underneath, this went away after a while, but the virbrating at high speeds. I did have wheels balanced it sort of made it better.
But the other day I pulled up to reverse into a parking space, turn the steering to the left on full lock and as I reversed into the space I hear like a snap sound from front and then noticed I had a vibration through the whole car body and steering wheel.
It does not do it in park (or I will double check but dont think it does or nuetral) but when in drive with foot on brake pedal it certainley does it. When selecting reverse too it make a clunk sound, dont recal it doing it or certainley not as harsh as it did.

Any ideas what this could be?

I have had a C class for 3 years no issues, my E class for 10years and no issues, but this S Class has had new airmatic pump, new pully as that bent and main drive belt came off, its rusting out like a Lancia too...

Any help be appriciated and dont say set fire too it LOL :)

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
Set fire to it;)

Could be a duff engine mount.

OP
G

GAFFER

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S 320 2001 & E230 1997
Vibration!

Hi Richard,
Yes that had crossed my mind, but wondered if it would still vibrate when not in gear if was engine mount... but then I supose when in gear the engine has a load on it so would make worse. Im gonna test with bonnet up and see if the engine moves a lot when in gear and foot brake if that makes sense. I report back... other than that do you have a lighter!! :)

OP
G

GAFFER

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S 320 2001 & E230 1997
Def a engine or gearbox mount! put in drive and pull away hard gear lever shifts and a clonk.... so 99% defo a mount.... wonder if anyone knows if this is common on S Class and if so is it likley to be engine or gearbox?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom