Saloon cars front/rear bumper

amg-c220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220d 2016 AMG Line
Hi, I have a W205 C220d 2016 AMG Line. For example, on speed humps (in 30 mph area), going on 25mph without pressing the brake sometimes, I seem to hear the front bumper being scratched. This always spoils the driving experience and have to constantly think whether something is damaged when hearing a noise.

I am not too worried about the cosmetic scratches but more worried that when the bumper hits the ground at speed or even going over any high raised curb/kerb while pulling into parking space that it will damage the internal structural frame such as the safety reinforcement (i.e crash bar etc.) by the bumper pushing against it.

Do MB saloon cars have protection to prevent the bumper pushing against important components?

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Without answering your question.
If you are driving 25mph over a bump then thats your problem. They are there for a reason to make you slow down.
Go much slower over the bump and you wont have an issue.
At 25mph you will be getting many suspension components replaced before long.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi, I have a W205 C220d 2016 AMG Line. For example, on speed humps (in 30 mph area), going on 25mph without pressing the brake sometimes, I seem to hear the front bumper being scratched. This always spoils the driving experience and have to constantly think whether something is damaged when hearing a noise.

I am not too worried about the cosmetic scratches but more worried that when the bumper hits the ground at speed or even going over any high raised curb/kerb while pulling into parking space that it will damage the internal structural frame such as the safety reinforcement (i.e crash bar etc.) by the bumper pushing against it.

Do MB saloon cars have protection to prevent the bumper pushing against important components?
If you are driving 25mph over a bump then thats your problem. They are there for a reason to make you slow down.
I have pretty much the same car, a C200 AMG LIne and never had that problem, but then I respect speed humps not only for the reason they are there but also for the reason I don't want to damage the car :) Oh and welcome to the forum :)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
And a great chance of cracking an alloy or 4... :shock:

OP
A

amg-c220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220d 2016 AMG Line
I have pretty much the same car, a C200 AMG LIne and never had that problem, but then I respect speed humps not only for the reason they are there but also for the reason I don't want to damage the car :) Oh and welcome to the forum :)
Hi Andy,

Thank you for your message. I usually slow down on speed humps. But do you think that previous hits, would have caused any structural damage to the internal structural frame such as the safety reinforcement (i.e crash bar etc.) by the bumper pushing against it?

OP
A

amg-c220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220d 2016 AMG Line
Thanks Mioba for your answer. I do slow down on speed humps but this happened in a new area at night time.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Same opinions as above... speed and bumps don/t go together despite most of the population flying over them (mostly in cars they do not own outright). Seconding the fact that speeding even marginally over bumps causes accelerated wear in suspension/steering components. I'm at the other extreme where I crawl over them with no exceptions.

Structurally a bumper scrape won't affect the structural integrity of the car.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
My 212 E350CDI does ground on speed humps if I put a wheel either side, but no front bumper contact.
Our previous 172 SLK200K & current SCL250d, both clear speed humps completely without touching.

OP
A

amg-c220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220d 2016 AMG Line
Same opinions as above... speed and bumps don/t go together despite most of the population flying over them (mostly in cars they do not own outright). Seconding the fact that speeding even marginally over bumps causes accelerated wear in suspension/steering components. I'm at the other extreme where I crawl over them with no exceptions.

Structurally a bumper scrape won't affect the structural integrity of the car.
Apologies for the late reply, thank you so much for answering the question.

Rob7seven

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2020 AMG C300
The main road outside my house is about a foot higher than my drive, wide grass verge, wide pavement, then drive. Some cars can bottom at the change of angle onto the drive, taken carefully no problem for any of my Mercedes, all the slightly lower AMG versions, but my wife's Citroën C2 graunches on some mud flap thing under the nose, my ears tell me when she's arrived home. The only car of mine that graunched was an Alfa 159 about 14 years ago, I had to slow right down each time, but I did have one real disaster back in around 1990 with an Audi. I swung in about 1mph too fast, the nose dipped, and the sump plug was ripped right out, the entire contents of the sump were deposited between the impact point and my garage, an oil slick like the Torrey Canyon. On that car, much of the inline engine protruded beyond the front axle line, I don't think speed humps existed back then, but clearly I'd have had to be very careful driving over them. The Audi was only about one month old. I phoned the dealer, who sent a recovery truck an hour later, and the car was ready for collection the next day. Surprisingly, no damage to the cast alloy sump, a new plug, and an engine full of new oil. "All with our compliments Sir, no charge!", and I was much more careful after that.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom