Screenwash -- which is best value

rlx

Reaction score
I've tried a few screenwash fluids and most seem to leave smears. Without going overboard cost-wise, which ones give the best results (i.e. not leaving a smear)? Don't need any in-depth analysis, just the names of a couple of brands you are happy with. It'll save an extended test of various brands since a bottle lasts about a year.

R.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I've always used MB own screen wash. Good value, excellent cleaning with no smears. Guaranteed compatibility with nozzles etc..

OP
R

rlx

Reaction score
Ahhh! Nozzles!

Mine keep getting blocked. I assumed it was lime-scale. Maybe I should switch to MB?

Serves me right for using Asda's I suppose...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes the MB stuff is very good, but cleaning the screen now and then with T cut can work wonders to remove traffic grease

Triv

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A brace of s210 1998 e300 turborustbuckets. Toyota HiLux Surf kzn185 3.0L
I agree with the above; MB screenwash works fine for me.
I use toothpaste to clean my screen periodically. It works wonders and removes all diesel film.

huey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 cdi 2004 Estate
I always put a tiny drop of fairy liquid in the washer bottle works a treat.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Fairy liquid tends to harden up and block the jets..possibly due to its high salt content...

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Fairy liquid tends to harden up and block the jets..possibly due to its high salt content...

I have used a more generous amount that huey and for years now. I have yet to encounter a problem with blocked jets.

The only time I ever experienced blocked washer jets was by overdoing the paste polish that I used in the 1980s. Easily tweaked out with a pin though.

I keep some Mr Muscle in the garage and in bad weather will often wash the windscreen and wipers, the rear screen, mirrors and lights - rather than wash the whole car.

Mr Muscle contains vinegar and that certainly makes for clean glasswork, and prolonged wiper blade life.

Mercedes-2010

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C350 AMG Sport (2013)
Dump some metalayted spirits in the bottle along with the screen wash and water, cuts the grease magnifico;)

And tooth paste is good for cleaning the screen, and minty fresh too... :lol:

DC x

huey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 cdi 2004 Estate

Well i've been using it for years without any problems, same as Alex tho had blocked jets due to over zealous waxing i just use a bristle from a wire brush to clean/unblock them.

OP
R

rlx

Reaction score
I like the toothpaste idea. And the meths, both worth a try by the sound of things!

syncropaddy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
.... too many cars!
I use the Screen wash that JCB sells and I find it great and if you mix it right it wont freeze. It can also be used as a de icer ......

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
I use just plain water and find it as good as with additive. Jet blockages are often the result of using a non too clean water bucket to fill the washer bottle.

As some others do I use a decent cleaner when the screen gets the inevitable grease film, Autoglym glass polish seems best to me. Regular cleaning helps keep the grease film down.
Adding 10-20% meths will provide anti freeze properties and little if any grease dispersal, in fact the purple dye in meths will leave a film of oil behind.
Washing up detergent should be avoided like a plague, the very high salt content (used to thicken it) will cause rusting in any gaps it gets into and corrodes the bores of the washer nozzles.
I carry a can of Sif bathroom foam to dispel any greasy film which may build up during a journey (especially winter), it is very effective indeed, supermarket own brands are not as good. I don't know about these detergents rusting abilities, but overzealous use will take the polish (Autoglym super resin) off the paintwork.

An annual new wiper blade is essential in having a streak free windscreen, save the money you'd waste on washer fluid and buy it one for its birthday.

Last edited:

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
I like the toothpaste idea. And the meths, both worth a try by the sound of things!

Powder variety (Euthymol IIRC) of toothpaste is best - old chauffeurs trick that my dad told me about. He also used a dose of pure paraffin in the water (used after washing off the dirt and grime) to finish off the paintwork then a good leather down - mind you that was on 1930's RR when 'proper' paint was in use;)

If you have a real coating of road film on your screen try 'Bar Keepers Friend' mix to a paste and go over the screen a bit of best quality elbow grease helps do this after washing the car and then rinse off with clean water, finish by polishing the glass with a micro fibre cloth.

mercmeck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 2OO 2012
good old merc screenwash works for me ,clean screen with rain x before washing then add sw for great results . you need good quality wiper blades also
this is my first post .helooooo to all you merc owners
geo p

Last edited:

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
good old merc screenwash works for me ,clean screen with rain x before washing then add sw for great results . you need good quality wiper blades also
this is my first post .helooooo to all you merc owners
geo p

welcome to the Forum - and full marks for patriotism! ;)

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom