Seeking CLS350 (C219) buying advice

DoctorMesmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Bluetec Estate (S212) 2015
I'm new to the forum and looking to buy my first MB – a petrol CLS350, ideally a facelift model.

Budget dictates that it will probably not be any newer than 2008, so what should I look for (good/bad)?

There don't seem to be that many around, so I realise I can't be too choosy - however, any advice on common issues or options worth having would be gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
They are very heavy cars but, hide their weight rather well under normal circumstances. In my experience, they are heavy on brakes and suspension components. Even if things aren't picked up on an MOT, it doesn't mean they are not far off needing replacement.

They are quite low slung so have a good look underneath for signs of scrapes, bodged repairs indicating a driver has ignored ground clearance.

The halogen headlights are an utter disgrace and that's being kind! The halfwits that designed and signed them off need to be tortured to death. Make sure you try and find a car with factory Xenon's.

Staggered 18" or larger wheels come with rather pricey tyres so factor in roughly £260/£320 front/rear axle. (You do not want budget tyres on a car of this weight and RWD).

I would also avoid models with the optional air-matic suspension personally. The standard setup rides well enough and is most effective to maintain.

Interiors are very durable so, should be absolutely perfect. Anything less indicates neglect.

Many people and dealers remove the Bluetooth phone dongle from the arm-rest console and sell them on Ebay for around £200. If your car should have it and its not there, expect to pay between £150-300 for one unless you drive whilst using your mobile.

Engine wise, I don't know the 350 petrol well enough so others can comment on that.

I would avoid cars with a lot of owners. Look for low number of owners and a comprehensive history and you should be close to hitting the nail on the head with each one.

Last edited:
OP
D

DoctorMesmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks so much for this very helpful and informative post – it's exactly the kind of reply of I'd hoped for. I'll be sure to be cognisant of the points you make.

Reactions: DSK

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
One more thing, the 7G gearbox. It needs oil changes but may get missed. Its inexpensive and an easy job at an independent but, use it as a bargaining point. Secondly, in 'C'/comfort mode, the car sets of in 2nd gear (unless you use 3/4 throttle or more), so expect a graceful set off. In 'S'/Sport mode, it sets of in 1st gear but, in my 320cdi, whilst very perky, I find Sport mode doesn't suit the character of the car and diesel engine, so I just leave it in Comfort and it always performs well enough.

OP
D

DoctorMesmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Again, really useful to know. Many thanks.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
One more thing, the 7G gearbox. It needs oil changes but may get missed. Its inexpensive and an easy job at an independent but, use it as a bargaining point.

First is at 5 years or 60k and then every 4 years after that. Costs around £250 including full flush

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
They are very heavy cars but, hide their weight rather well under normal circumstances. In my experience, they are heavy on brakes and suspension components. Even if things aren't picked up on an MOT, it doesn't mean they are not far off needing replacement.

They are quite low slung so have a good look underneath for signs of scrapes, bodged repairs indicating a driver has ignored ground clearance.

The halogen headlights are an utter disgrace and that's being kind! The halfwits that designed and signed them off need to be tortured to death. Make sure you try and find a car with factory Xenon's.

Staggered 18" or larger wheels come with rather pricey tyres so factor in roughly £260/£320 front/rear axle. (You do not want budget tyres on a car of this weight and RWD).

I would also avoid models with the optional air-matic suspension personally. The standard setup rides well enough and is most effective to maintain.

Interiors are very durable so, should be absolutely perfect. Anything less indicates neglect.

Many people and dealers remove the Bluetooth phone dongle from the arm-rest console and sell them on Ebay for around £200. If your car should have it and its not there, expect to pay between £150-300 for one unless you drive whilst using your mobile.

Engine wise, I don't know the 350 petrol well enough so others can comment on that.

I would avoid cars with a lot of owners. Look for low number of owners and a comprehensive history and you should be close to hitting the nail on the head with each one.
Ok buddy , so it seems you know a little bit about the CLS ;)

Reactions: DSK

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom