Service Interval reset R230 2003- 2007

g8aso

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
600 SL R230
After reading the instructions in the manual with no positive results, and reading 14 different ways to do it, all which didn't work, I thought I'd post it on here, sorry for any duplication.

Do not use Keyless Go, switch on with key and go to position 2, do not start the engine.
The service due indication comes on for a few seconds, then goes off.
Use the Arrow Up or Arrow Down button to get the spanner symbol up in the left dial and service due in the right dial.
Press and hold the mileage reset button, in the middle of the two dials, for a few seconds. The message changes to "Do you want to reset the service interval?" (or similar). Release the button, and press once more and release.
The service interval will be reset, at least is was on mine!

Happy Motoring and don't forget to change the oil & filter regularly.

carnut13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL400 & Audi A1 Sport
Yes,but I suspect it will only reset to 10k miles ( not the 13k that it should be if the correct oil is used.Star is needed to do this)

It will still show up on star that it has been reset at the current mileage, so there is no benefit if you are trying to extend the service interval, which of course you shouldnt want to do anyway.

Only useful if you have done your own service:shock:; a good indie will know how to do this and have a star machine:lol:

OP
G

g8aso

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
600 SL R230
Fair comment

Yes, fair comment, but if I take it in for a service, I doubt if I will see change out of a £Grand, it's only done 17k and a 600SL needs 24 spark plugs at retail, and apart from that, all I can imagine they will do is change the brake fluid, and oil the door hinges.

I might have a go when it's done 30K, but that might take another 6 years.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The actual rules changed in about 2006,, my car when new was on a up to two years or shall we say 14k mileage thing, which ever came up first, then the rules were changed to 10k or 12 months,,when you have a service you can ask them to set it on your original setting, but they seldom do that

carnut13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL400 & Audi A1 Sport
"then the rules were changed to 10k or 12 months,,when you have a service you can ask them to set it on your original setting, but they seldom do that "

I believe the current practice ( & I have gone into this in GREAT detail with my Northampton Dealer who succumbed to para2 below) is that ,if they use the best oil ( you have the tech numbers I know from previous threads) then they reset ,via Star, to the service Interval x 1.3 == 13K miles.

So often the mechanic takes the easy route via the instrument panel to just 10K as per the OP:rolleyes:

But back to the original point, it sounds like the OP doesnt want FMBSH but,due to low mileage to just do a minor service and reset. It may be worth pointing out that plugs are recommended to be changed every 4-5years as they can tend to become stuck in the block due to AGE ,not mileage, so not changing them could well be a serious issue down the line

I would suggest a good Indie if £££ are the issue:lol:

Mercymaximus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350
Fair comment

Yes, fair comment, but if I take it in for a service, I doubt if I will see change out of a £Grand, it's only done 17k and a 600SL needs 24 spark plugs at retail, and apart from that, all I can imagine they will do is change the brake fluid, and oil the door hinges.

I might have a go when it's done 30K, but that might take another 6 years.
There's 12 plugs in a V12.... surely!

Mercymaximus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350
There's 12 plugs in a V12.... surely!
My advice is keep all receipts for maintainence and any other work done and never use the main dealers. Buyers want proof of the above rather than main dealer approval. FMD service is a farce when selling.

Mercymaximus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350
"then the rules were changed to 10k or 12 months,,when you have a service you can ask them to set it on your original setting, but they seldom do that "

I believe the current practice ( & I have gone into this in GREAT detail with my Northampton Dealer who succumbed to para2 below) is that ,if they use the best oil ( you have the tech numbers I know from previous threads) then they reset ,via Star, to the service Interval x 1.3 == 13K miles.

So often the mechanic takes the easy route via the instrument panel to just 10K as per the OP:rolleyes:

But back to the original point, it sounds like the OP doesnt want FMBSH but,due to low mileage to just do a minor service and reset. It may be worth pointing out that plugs are recommended to be changed every 4-5years as they can tend to become stuck in the block due to AGE ,not mileage, so not changing them could well be a serious issue down the line

I would suggest a good Indie if £££ are the issue:lol:
Plugs never get stuck in the block pal....you must be getting confused with injectors

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom