SL55 AMG seats

pk311ymb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL55 AMG
Hi all, my driver's seat functions (Pulse, Lumbar, shoulder and side cushions) all seem to have quit at once. Seat adjustment is unaffected. I can hear clicking (of relays?) when I operate the various switches but nothing else. Any clues? Regards, Peter

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes sir,,, You need to get the car on STAR to see if the comfort seats are activated.

It is possible that on of the pipes that comes from the storage tank in the boot has split and leaking, when this happens the CAN bus will turn the port on the pump off to stop the pump from burning out through over running.

If you press the massage button and the LED goes out within a few seconds, this will confirm that the PSE pump has switched off that port

OP
P

pk311ymb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL55 AMG
Many thanks Malcolm! Sory to be dim - what is STAR? MB diagnostic tool? Regards, Peter.

OP
P

pk311ymb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL55 AMG
Hi all, I have done a bit more research and had the car looked at. They told me that on pulling the pump fuse and reinserting it the pump resets itself and indeed it worked - for 24 hours! I was also told that a sure sign that the pump is faulty is that the boot lid won't close itself. Guess what - my boot lid still closes even though the seat functions don't work. It is going back on the STAR on Tuesday - maybe the pump is faulty or aybe it's a wiring/connection problem. All is dry in the boot - no evidence of water leaks at all.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not the pump I feel if the soft close works, its all CAN controlled and the normal fault is a fractured pipe under the seat, this will cause the pump to shut off this feature.

OP
P

pk311ymb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL55 AMG
Thanks Malcolm, I'll make sure I tell them when I take it in. They did say the system wasn't leaking but who knows? Best regards, Peter

DSB SL AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300SL (R129 1992 Pre-Facelift), Volvo V70 D5 SE Auto
interesting read....whose got your car, indie or stealer?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well the seats use less power than the soft closing, the way to test is to turn the seats back on in STAR and with the key turned to 1 and sit in the seats and listen for the pump to run, if there is a leak then the pump will run every few seconds, STAR must not be confused with lumbar support, it needs the comfort seat option

The seat output from the pumps is only a port selected by the can as to what is called up.

OP
P

pk311ymb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL55 AMG
The car is back with the Indie I bought it from. Mainly because of the waranty I got with it! Hopefully, this will cover the new pump, which they now say is definitely the problem. Regards, Peter

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK but I watch with interest and hope that cures it :D

A

andy@pcd-ltd

Im with malcolm on this one i would say a pipe has cracked under the seat (very common) and causing the pse pump to shut down the system

OP
P

pk311ymb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL55 AMG
Hi all, well, whatever they did seems to have cured it. I understand they fitted a new pump but I don't have the paperwork yet. We shall see. Regards and thanks fr all the help. Peter

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom