Speeding

merc engineer

Banned
Reaction score
turnipsock said:
There is something not quite right about that crossing?

is it the safety barrier at the end.

Attachments

• ZEBRA5.jpg
    ZEBRA5.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Mounis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI W211 Avant
hmmm....

merc engineer said:
is it the safety barrier at the end.

Not at all...just no zerbra crossing....

blassberg

Reaction score
'parently the zebra got caught ruining the crossing and asked for 15 other 'fences to be taken into consideration.

cobra427

Reaction score
stwat said:
More like 200mph when you take into consideration all the safety features cars have nowadays!!!! Like ABS and ESP.

Stu

... same old Nut holding the steering wheel tho...

At 120mph you are travelling at 176ft/sec. Apparently reaction time for us mortals in cars is at least a second (http://www.visualexpert.com/Resources/reactiontime.html )

Which means you ain't even started braking until you're nearly 200ft or so down the road. eeeeeeek!!

What we need isn't ABS its predictive braking.. ;o)

mlc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 S320, 2003 SLK230, 1972 350SL
Whilst I see that the quoted website does give reaction time as at least a second that doesnt line up with the highway codes figure, which is 0.2 second.

If we really took over second then the roads would be a death trap and people would be getting killed everyday, so no change their then :(

Mark.

maddog

Reaction score
mlc said:
Whilst I see that the quoted website does give reaction time as at least a second that doesnt line up with the highway codes figure, which is 0.2 second.

If we really took over second then the roads would be a death trap and people would be getting killed everyday, so no change their then :(

Mark.

there is now way someone can react in .2 of a second.

A perfect reation time in drag racing is a .40 and to get that you need to anticipate ie guess rather than react

andy_k

Reaction score
Website
www.ak3dgfx.com
Your Mercedes
E55 AMG
the "highway code figure" you are talking about is purely visual reaction time - in other words how long it takes us to see something, after that we need to add the reaction time which is going to be a lot more.

If you are confident that whilst travelling at approximately 120 mph (nearly 60 yards a second) you are able to see a hazard, evaluate it decide what action to take and then take it in less than 1 second every single time you are faced with an emergency situation then you are deluded.

There are already enough deaths and accidents on our roads with the current speed limits, if we placed the limits nearer what the cars are capable of (and probably in excess of what 90% of drivers on the road are capable of) then we'd be back to the carnage we used to see on the motorways when they first opened.

I saw last week that there will be pressure to reduce limits even further in order to preserve the planet's resources. The result of numerous surveys (including manufacturers own figures) suggest that cars travelling at 60 mph use almost 50% less fuel than those travelling at 90 mph.

Andy

turnipsock

Reaction score
It's finally happened, I have finally been caught for speeding!

Lucky it wasn't the day before when I hit 130mph on this stretch. This day I saw the van with the camera hanging over the flyover, checked the speedo and it said 85mph so I didn't bother slowing down, thinking they wouldn't bother at that speed. It must have been a slow day as I got fined for doing 83mph in a 70mph when I was the only person on the road.

I will attach a letter asking if I can have a copy of the pictures for my desktop (as it was a nice day and the light was good). I will also ask why, behind the camera, there was a stretch of three lane motorway where numerous cars think it is OK to overtake on the inside.

"Dear Sir, May I take this opertunity to complain about..."

WDB201

Banned
Reaction score
turnipsock said:
It's finally happened, I have finally been caught for speeding!

Lucky it wasn't the day before when I hit 130mph on this stretch. This day I saw the van with the camera hanging over the flyover, checked the speedo and it said 85mph so I didn't bother slowing down, thinking they wouldn't bother at that speed. It must have been a slow day as I got fined for doing 83mph in a 70mph when I was the only person on the road.

I will attach a letter asking if I can have a copy of the pictures for my desktop (as it was a nice day and the light was good). I will also ask why, behind the camera, there was a stretch of three lane motorway where numerous cars think it is OK to overtake on the inside.

"Dear Sir, May I take this opertunity to complain about..."

Taking a chance doing that speed when your ball joints need replacing

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom