Sprinter leaking large amounts of coolant (?)

jinbao

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 311 CDI 2151CC 2004
Appreciate any advice or help with this!

Mercedes Sprinter campervan
311 CDI
2151 CC

The last service was September 2018 with the following notes:
"bottom coolant pipe rusty"
"VHC coolant - anti-freeze weak and low level"
"replaced coolant hose for engine"
"replaced anti-freeze and coolant pipe"

The campervan has been in storage on a farm (outdoors) in the UK since then, September 2018.

Has been driven once every 3 - 6 months a short distance around car park for 10 minutes. Last time was November 2019 and everything was fine, no issues.

The Problem
5 June 2020
Two days ago my dad went to drive the campervan around the car park again. He turned on the ignition and the engine started fine and sounded fine. However, the low coolant light was on. When he drove the van out of the parking space he noticed large amounts of liquid dropping from the engine area to the ground. It was not water, not sure if it was coolant, oil or something else. The engine was still running and sounding fine. He immediately parked the van again.

He checked the oil level and it was normal. He didn't check the coolant level.

The vehicle is not taxed, MOTed or insured, as it has been in storage since September 2018, so I can't drive it to a mechanic before getting all that done.

1 - Does anyone have any ideas of what the issue might be and how serious this is?

2 - What can check myself, to rule out any easy fixes?

3 - I assume it is not safe to drive the vehicle to a mechanic?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
It could be anything from a leaking radiator to a failed water pump to a split hose to just a leaking hose.
It is not safe to drive it to a mechanic - you risk serious damage to the engine.
Try looking for a mobile mechanic. At least get them to take a look and you can then decide on a course of action.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome,

As per above, I’d also open the bonnet and have a look see. Check the coolant level by opening the header tank. Looking from the outside it might look at the correct level - that will most likely be a “tide mark” of where the coolant normally sits rather than its actual level.
After viewing from above have a look underneath and see if you can see leaks or rusted pipes.

OP
J

jinbao

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 311 CDI 2151CC 2004
Thanks very much! Will check it out....

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom