This is how the dealer can cheat

nyx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210 1998 e240 saloon
are some indies not as bad as main dealers for over charging or not completing work that should have been done?

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
This has re-enforced my love for my independent ,he would not put a washer on without a signed pro-forma and face to face meeting to confirm the business case,

Really? I'd like to think I could trust an Indie to undertand my needs (ie maintain regardless of cost, or do everything as cheaply as possible, or somewhere inbetween) and act in my best interests and if he thinks something should be changed then change it.

MB like all the big brands probably work on about 85% of cars being leased or company owned and do not get challenged

Leasing company's maintenance controllers challenge everything. Dealers used to hate maintaining my company cars, and my wife had VW under one of their maintenance contracts and every garage visit was a battle.

Kirbs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ECLASS 280 sport,2009,3.0 and SL350 2004
Really? I'd like to think I could trust an Indie to undertand my needs (ie maintain regardless of cost, or do everything as cheaply as possible, or somewhere inbetween) and act in my best interests and if he thinks something should be changed then change it.

Leasing company's maintenance controllers challenge everything. Dealers used to hate maintaining my company cars, and my wife had VW under one of their maintenance contracts and every garage visit was a battle.

I was exadurating to make the point on the Indie,yes he has some license but generally would think about any new actions and offers sight of the parts

Re the lease cars,company car dirvers generally do not challenge and the office checker would not get to check that the air filter had been changed

Thanks

Kirbs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ECLASS 280 sport,2009,3.0 and SL350 2004
are some indies not as bad as main dealers for over charging or not completing work that should have been done?

Not my experience but in any population you will get good and not so good

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Not my experience but in any population you will get good and not so good

But which is worse - someone who cheats intentionally, or someone who fails to do the job correctly because of incompetence?

If the latter has not done something you can detect, what else have they not done?

And "quality assured systems" do not help - the technician will tick the box anyway, and the clerk will assure you that the box has been ticked!

"All professions are conspiracies against the laity" - George Bernard Shaw

OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded

In the main No As an indie, they can get the work by offering service and repairs at half the dealer labour rate. In this case the mercedes dealer charged double the true cost of fitting a door ECU.

This dealer claimed to have removed the door film, there is nothing in WIS saying that you have to do anything to this door film, and this part alone is what doubled the cost, the door film has never been removed.

Even worse was the fact that the door ECU was not at fault in the first place, so £600 wasted, I believe that is why he sold the car.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom