Tyre care.

DMK/Happy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SE / Coupe / 2003 / C 220/CDI/A
What tyre conditioner or treatment can be sprayed on tyres to prevent dry rotting between the tread water channels ?

Last edited:

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
If you have rotting tyres then they need changing.
Like any rot once set in you wont revert it.
There are many things ppl put on the sidewalls, but on the treads ????

OP
DMK/Happy

DMK/Happy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you have rotting tyres then they need changing.
Like any rot once set in you wont revert it.
There are many things ppl put on the sidewalls, but on the treads ????
Just noticed tiny hair line cracks in the water channels between the treads on one of our cars,tread depth appears ok,

Last edited:

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I don't believe that there's anything that you can do once its started.
The tyre compound itself contains an agent that helps to keep the compound supple and prevent this cracking, but its only activated by the tyres getting up to temperature through use, hence low mileage cars will suffer from this and high mileage ones wont.
UV light is a big factor in triggering this, hence you'll find caravan owners covering their tyres when their not in use.

NJS5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 R230 SL350, 2016 Discovery 4 Landmark, 1973 MG B GT V8, 1959 MGA roadster.
What's the ‘DOT code’ on the tyre?

The first two digits tell you the week number and the last two indicate the year the tyre was manufactured. DOT code '3909' means the tyre was made in the 39th week of the year 2009.

Tyres are considered to be “new” and fit for retail sale up to 5 years from the date of production - although I wouldn't buy any more than 6 months old.

When in use, it is recommended that tyres are replaced when they reach 7 to 10 years old, (6 years in the case of caravans or trailers), although I would not consider driving a car with tyres more than 7 years old in any circumstances, and prefer my tyres to be less than 6 years old.

NJSS

Last edited:

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Burt Munro would know what to do :eek:
(Worlds fastest Indian)

Jim Moffett : What are you doing?
Burt Munro : [referring to his KIWI brand of black shoe polish] Well, the soft shoe polish fills in the cracks. Makes the tyres look spick and span, good as new. Cheaper than new ones anyway.
Jim Moffett : I didn't see that.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Just noticed tiny hair line cracks in the water channels between the treads on one of our cars,tread depth appears ok,

Like NJS5 has said it doesn't matter about the tread depth it is the age of the tyre that is important. Sounds like they need changing. Hard to do when you have lots of tread depth left :rolleyes:

OP
DMK/Happy

DMK/Happy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't believe that there's anything that you can do once its started.
The tyre compound itself contains an agent that helps to keep the compound supple and prevent this cracking, but its only activated by the tyres getting up to temperature through use, hence low mileage cars will suffer from this and high mileage ones wont.
UV light is a big factor in triggering this, hence you'll find caravan owners covering their tyres when their not in use.
This is indeed a low milage vehicle,5K per year.

OP
DMK/Happy

DMK/Happy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What's the ‘DOT code’ on the tyre?

The first two digits tell you the week number and the last two indicate the year the tyre was manufactured. DOT code '3909' means the tyre was made in the 39th week of the year 2009.

Tyres are considered to be “new” and fit for retail sale up to 5 years from the date of production - although I wouldn't buy any more than 6 months old.

When in use, it is recommended that tyres are replaced when they reach 7 to 10 years old, (6 years in the case of caravans or trailers), although I would consider driving a car with tyres more than 7 years old in any circumstances.

NJSS
Thank you,interesting.

OP
DMK/Happy

DMK/Happy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The tyres were manufactured 26 week 2016,and would have less than 20000 km town driving mostly.

NJS5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 R230 SL350, 2016 Discovery 4 Landmark, 1973 MG B GT V8, 1959 MGA roadster.
The tyres were manufactured 26 week 2016,and would have less than 20000 klm town driving mostly.
So currently 5 years old, and cracking up; in these circumstances I would bite the bullet (rather than the dust !) and change for 4 (or 5) new tyres now.

ROSPA recommend:-

Tyres showing:-

Cracking/crazing on the side wall of the tyre, caused by its flexing
Distortion of tyre tread
Deformation of the carcass of the tyre

should be removed and not put to further use.

They add:-
Vehicles which are stored for significant periods (motorhomes, caravans, ice cream vans, classic cars, etc) are more likely to need to replace their tyres at a younger age even though the tread may well have hardly been touched. This is because tyres have agents in their compound which are squeezed through the rubber when in use to inhibit the ageing process; if unused for some time, these agents do not work, thus increasing the speed of the ageing process. Tyres fitted as spare wheels or used on caravans and trailers may age prematurely.

NJSS

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A cracked tyre is a weak tyre.
They rotate alot, they get got, they suffer big bumps on potholes. Infact it a part of your car thats constantly being hammered.
Keep them and hope they dont blow out.
Get them changed.
I would be getting them changed.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Get out and have some "Fun" with them, then get them changed as they'll no doubt be worn out... ;) :cool: :p

OP
DMK/Happy

DMK/Happy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Then this must be the life span 60 months or less of tyres on a vehicle that is not garaged, short daily town driving and less than 20K ,really interesting Hope this info helps others.. Thank you for interest.

rogdodge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
a 2012 c class cdi c220 amg eco blue eff 2.1 in red
the old saying you are never to old to learn something new, you good people out there have so much good advice to share on car care may i say thank you, to all of you.

OP
DMK/Happy

DMK/Happy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Pirelli P Zero Nero tyre.Think I may source Pirelli all season next, seem to have very good reviews out there.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Check the noise rating. On some sizes they can be horrible noisy and hard.
They were aweful on my W220, on my W251 they are awesome

OP
DMK/Happy

DMK/Happy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Really important , I like a responsive tyre with as little road noise as possible.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
When I'm driving on a good road the cabin is ultra quiet but on other roads it can be quite noisy.
I've always assumed this is due to the road surface being a rougher texture. There's a very noticeable difference when the road surface suddenly changes.
Concrete roads are the worst but I'm talking about normal tarmac roads.
My question is this, is the tyre partly to blame even though it's great on some roads and noisy on others?
In other words, is the quietest tyre the quietest on all roads compared to a tyre thats rated as louder?
Assuming correct pressures and same tread depth.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Pirelli P Zero Nero tyre.Think I may source Pirelli all season next, seem to have very good reviews out there.

I am glad I don't have them any more, too noisy for my liking. Plus the rubber tends to crack too early in their life :rolleyes::(

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom