Vito w639 2005 2148cc - problems Speedo not working

NewbietoMB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250cdi 2010 w204
Hey guys just got my self a Vito 55 reg . The Speedo is not working properly at all not showing the correct speed and going all the way to full clock when I’m probably doing 60/70mph . There’s an ABS light on and a orange light with a tyre and 2 arrows .

Im not in the van atm but will upload pics . Anyone experience anything like this and could help ?

The van was plugged in to a Mercedes special computer and showed stored fault instrument cluster esp control module along the lines of that .

It will be plugged into the Mercedes computer again sometime soon so will upload the proper pictures .

Any help in advanced would be appreciated and go on soft on me guys I’m still new :)

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
Hi buddy, ive never came across any posts or experienced a wonky speedo. Are you using an indie for star diagnostics? seems like an instrument cluster related problem. Someone that has experience of that issue might post up on here. theres a few indies on the forum here.

OP
N

NewbietoMB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250cdi 2010 w204
Hi buddy, ive never came across any posts or experienced a wonky speedo. Are you using an indie for star diagnostics? seems like an instrument cluster related problem. Someone that has experience of that issue might post up on here. theres a few indies on the forum here.
Hi kev555 thanks for your help. it was plugged into the dealer star system . A friend of a friend works in the main dealer and he checked it out on his break for me but I didnt note down the fault code . Thought I’d start the discussion hopefully it’s going to get plugged back in so I can get the faint codes . The chap who’s helping me with the code reading is too busy to assist me literally 15 mins he spent on his break helping me gave him £20

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
A total guess but sounds like a faulty cluster.
They can be repaired, but I've no information of where.

I would start by buying a 2nd hand unit off eBay. If it works the odometer will just read dashes, but that can be set up to match ECU mileage I believe.
It's a starting point at least and a 2nd hand unit shouldn't cost too much.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Another thought. Is your speedo the correct one for your year?
The pre 2006 speedo should be the wide gauge rather than the more modern 2 clocks.
They can be exchanged, but the wiring is different and needs amending at the plug.
Is it possible some one has attempted this and hasn't completed the wiring changes?

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
>>> Is it possible some one has attempted this and hasn't completed the wiring changes?

I was briefly part of a Vito/Viano Facebook group and they were obsessed with swapping stuff like this for no good reason and to hell with the consequences.

So yes I'd agree it's possibility... even that this misbehaving unit is already just a like for like replacement after the original failed but not for exactly the same build spec.

Yep you need a code next time it's plugged in... in fact to be honest you need your own code reader to run one of these vehicles anyway.

Buying a used cluster (£50-£100) might give some clues and if it doesn't make any difference you can sell on with minimal loss.

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just used these guys recently to test and put a repair seal kit in an Audi Mechatronic and I can recommend them for speed and quality of service. just checked there as I noticed they fixed clusters as well on many types of vehicle.

OP
N

NewbietoMB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250cdi 2010 w204
Thanks for the response guys . Once I get back to the Van tomorrow ( not had a chance to drive it when I bought it in my way home noticed the Speedo issue ) I’ll check which instrument cluster it is and start looking into basic things like the wiring . Once it’s gone into the dealership computer I’ll upload the readings

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the response guys . Once I get back to the Van tomorrow ( not had a chance to drive it when I bought it in my way home noticed the Speedo issue ) I’ll check which instrument cluster it is and start looking into basic things like the wiring . Once it’s gone into the dealership computer I’ll upload the readings
Using the dealers can soon surpass the value of the vehicle.
Indies are our usual preferred option.

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry to hijack your thread NewbietoMB. Usually thats the case M80 but for once ive one up on the dealers as 3 weeks ago I went in for an airbag recall on the Vito. Half an hours work I was told so an hour passed and i was getting itchy feet. service manager told me somebody changed the steering wheel at some stage( they reckon it was off a sprinter). They couldn't fit the airbag is its not right so it was already on their live system as has to be done while hooked up to Mercedes? (so I'm told) I agreed to seek out a second hand Vito steering wheel which of course i never got around to in the week that passed. Got a call from service manager on 9th July to ask me if I got a steering wheel, I said no and he told me if thats the case Mercedes will supply me with a new steering wheel free of charge to get the airbag recall finished. I'm thinking they must be compromised legally when they started the job live on the system and didn't complete it?

OP
N

NewbietoMB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250cdi 2010 w204
Using the dealers can soon surpass the value of the vehicle.
Indies are our usual preferred option.
Hey bud I wouldn’t normally go to the dealers but I’ve got a friend who works at the dealer who will plug in for me .

curious

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only the Vito left! W639/1 OM646
Sorry to hijack your thread NewbietoMB. Usually thats the case M80 but for once ive one up on the dealers as 3 weeks ago I went in for an airbag recall on the Vito. Half an hours work I was told so an hour passed and i was getting itchy feet. service manager told me somebody changed the steering wheel at some stage( they reckon it was off a sprinter). They couldn't fit the airbag is its not right so it was already on their live system as has to be done while hooked up to Mercedes? (so I'm told) I agreed to seek out a second hand Vito steering wheel which of course i never got around to in the week that passed. Got a call from service manager on 9th July to ask me if I got a steering wheel, I said no and he told me if thats the case Mercedes will supply me with a new steering wheel free of charge to get the airbag recall finished. I'm thinking they must be compromised legally when they started the job live on the system and didn't complete it?
When you had it done, did they need access to the OBD port or, was 'hooked up to Mercedes', just administrative stuff on a computer not connected to your Vito?
(I'm not keen on them accessing the OBD port without knowing exactly what they're touching. I've had it mapped and I don't want this airbag recall as an excuse to delete cheat software.)

OP
N

NewbietoMB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250cdi 2010 w204
When you had it done, did they need access to the OBD port or, was 'hooked up to Mercedes', just administrative stuff on a computer not connected to your Vito?
(I'm not keen on them accessing the OBD port without knowing exactly what they're touching. I've had it mapped and I don't want this airbag recall as an excuse to delete cheat software.)
Hi the wire was plugged into the obd port which connected to the Mercedes tablet/laptop . Hopefully I’m going tomorrow to get it plugged in again and get the error codes

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dont know as I was in the waiting area, they just told me the air bag recall was put live on their system or done live, I cant exactly remember . I take it they started the job and had to cancel in the middle of it which seemed to throw a big wobbler on the Mercedes system I'm guessing? They did offer me a due software upgrade which I declined as mine is mapped. I cant see this as an attempt to wipe cheat software as not all vans are apparently on the recall. I think you listen to the conspiracy theorists too much.

curious

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only the Vito left! W639/1 OM646
Dont know as I was in the waiting area, they just told me the air bag recall was put live on their system or done live, I cant exactly remember . I take it they started the job and had to cancel in the middle of it which seemed to throw a big wobbler on the Mercedes system I'm guessing? They did offer me a due software upgrade which I declined as mine is mapped. I cant see this as an attempt to wipe cheat software as not all vans are apparently on the recall. I think you listen to the conspiracy theorists too much.
Unfortunately, personal experience of Jaguar altering the s/w detrimentally on my car without authorisation. They even manipulated the printed job sheet with a ball point pen afterwards. I now request a copy of the job sheet before the techs even touch it.
Do you know what the s/w update was for that you were offered?

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I just took it as a general software update the van missed at some point. If I had agreed to let them include it I would have asked what exactly was it for.

MinionBob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Viano - 2012 - OM651 Engine - 2.2
Kev, I assume you are aware that the dealers will do the emissions recall at the same time & there is a good chance it will wipe your remap.

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have already told them first time the van was in no updates as van is remapped. I will be reminding them again when I get called in for the steering wheel/airbag fitting. Can we get back to NewbietoMB,s thread now please as I dont want to hijack the OP any longer.

OP
N

NewbietoMB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250cdi 2010 w204
Hi abit late but just managed to get some free time . See photos attached Mercedes Xentry system plugged in today and the fault codes attached ….

Attachments

• 199E626E-45F9-4B6D-80B0-0791632616DA.jpeg
    199E626E-45F9-4B6D-80B0-0791632616DA.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 8
  • A7CD3845-2780-4FDF-BA7A-4DCD14AFA541.jpeg
    A7CD3845-2780-4FDF-BA7A-4DCD14AFA541.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 9252AAD6-BDC2-44BC-9892-CC4113274D87.jpeg
    9252AAD6-BDC2-44BC-9892-CC4113274D87.jpeg
    204.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 17AB5A73-59D3-4162-B08B-35FA1064F7BE.jpeg
    17AB5A73-59D3-4162-B08B-35FA1064F7BE.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 8623ABB6-9B38-4A14-9BAF-6BB092BF0637.jpeg
    8623ABB6-9B38-4A14-9BAF-6BB092BF0637.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 7

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Think that last code relates to the Yaw sensor from memory. It also lists fault in rear sensor but that might not be the cause, could still be coming from the Yaw sensor. What did your mate think? Possibly a double fault but I think a faulty yaw sensor may effect speedo among other things but dont hold me to that.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom