1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W124 - C36 AMG Engine conversion HELP!

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, Fuel and Exhaust' started by M3Killer, Aug 29, 2009.

Tags:
  1. M3Killer

M3Killer New Registration

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so would like to say Hello & How you doing to all of you.

I'm a Merc fan and have in the past owned a number of mercs inc 190e 2.3 16v Cosworth, 2x C36 AMG, S500

I'm currently considering a new project & currently doing my research. I spoke to a forum member & he suggested that i join the forum & ask you (wise) guys for help.

So here i am

Background: I smashed my C36 last year & have purchased it back from the insurance company. I was planning to break it but now i'm look to do a project.

Project: I'm considering creating a W124 AMG, Ideally i would like to do a coupe (ce) but may also consider a saloon.
    I'm done some inital reseach & i know it's been done a number of times succesfully. I've also been advised that a couple of guys on this forum have carried out the conversion.

I've been told that i should aim to find a 320 as i can use the gearbox & wiring inc ECU from the original car. I've been told that its a stright forward engins swap & that i will just need to get the 320's ecu flashed with the C36 software.

I must admit i'm not entirly convinced it will be that straight forward & need your advice & guidance to evaluate my options.

My C36 is a late P reg & is a facelift ver.

1. Is it that straight forward?
    2. Do I need a 320?
    3. Is it difficult?

It would be really useful if someone has a step by step guide.

Thank you all in advance for you help:)

2. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    Hello and welcome,,hang on till Andy (Biginaston) returns to the forum

3. type49

type49 Senior Member

I pressume you know Mercedes built a RHD E36 AMG 124 for the UK market. Therefore, you should be able to do all the mods you require. From what I remember, the 202 & 124 engine ECUs have different connections, both have a double plug but I think the 202 "CAN" connector (green & green/black or green/white) is part of one plug but I "think" in the 124 it's different???

Of course, I may have got this all wrong:Oops::Oops: It's been a while:rolleyes:

4. bigasotonuk

bigasotonuk Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
    Hi Naz,
    Welcome to the forum,
    I believe the best people to advise you on this are SAM-UNIT and BlackC55 as between them they fitted an E36 engine into a W124 CE 320 5-speed IIRC, it was for a member of the "other forum", hopefully one of them will be able to steer you in the right direction.

5. meanie

meanie Senior Member

I've fitted a C36 ECU to an E36 with no hassle, plug & play.
    The E36 has a bigger rad as I recall & I think that the down pipe was slightly larger too.