W124 Front Springs

turnipsock

Reaction score
My 320CE failed it's MOT recently. One of the front springs was broken, I replaced both of these just over a year ago.

I thought I would try one of the springs Europarts instead of the MB spring this time. The problem is that the Europart spring has the car sitting about an inch lower on the Starboard side.

Is the part number for the spring the same for the 320CE as the 230TE. If so, this would explain why the 320CE always seems to look 'low' at the front

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
turnipsock said:
My 320CE failed it's MOT recently. One of the front springs was broken, I replaced both of these just over a year ago.

I thought I would try one of the springs Europarts instead of the MB spring this time. The problem is that the Europart spring has the car sitting about an inch lower on the Starboard side.

Is the part number for the spring the same for the 320CE as the 230TE. If so, this would explain why the 320CE always seems to look 'low' at the front
Take a look on our trusted site, all of the part numbers are there for both.

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb0.asp?TP=1

Malcolm

MR DAMAS

Reaction score
Website
www.damasltd.co.uk
Your Mercedes
2001 E320 cdi.
Hi malcolm could you post the home address of the site you mentioned. Being in the trade it would be very helpful. Thanks.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Tempering srings is one of the hardest jobs around, a few degrees one way and its too weak,a few the other way and it will break, OK theses days they use digital controlled ovens. One of my relations worked for Firth Brown in Shefeild where they made the springs for Trains, the return rate was very high. Years ago the only way to go was with the village blacksmith. I had the springs re tempered on my Morris Oxford van, and forgot one day and fell all the way down to the ground, and that was a long way.

Malcolm

OP
turnipsock

turnipsock

Reaction score
I'm worried about the hight that the car is sitting at with the Europarts spring. It looks lower than when I had the broken spring on.

Is there any chance that the trye will hit the wings?

I had left the broken spring behind the car and a passer by pointed out to my mum that a bit had fallen off her car. He was serious.

Attachments

• spring1.jpg
    spring1.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 69

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No it cant do that, the should be stops for that, if it does I will retire.

malcolm

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
turnipsock said:

just out of interest where did you get these springs from, maybe they are guaranteed for more than a year

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
mioba said:
just out of interest where did you get these springs from, maybe they are guaranteed for more than a year
Good idea, don't MB guarantee parts for 2 years or did I dream that???

OP
turnipsock

turnipsock

Reaction score
mioba said:

The one that broke was from the MB dealer. I'm having difficulty finding the correct invoice at the moment, but I'm sure the dealer will have a record of it.

I bought the spring over a year ago but under two years ago, so if there is a two year warranty then I could get it replaced.

If I have to replace the spring again I might have a go at doing the bushes as well. It would also mean I could clean up the wishbones as well.

MOT this Sat.

Stircrazy

Reaction score
It is really low at the front from your pic.

Never mind, if it fails can I get the chrome trims?

Stircrazy

Reaction score
Eh, and I could use some alloys ......... etc etc.....?

Come on turnipsock. Breaking it?

OP
turnipsock

turnipsock

Reaction score
The old girl sailed through her MOT today.

Petrol is down about 10p/litre since I last bought some...what fun.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
turnipsock said:

good to see your car passed.

so what did you do to get her through, how did you resolve the spring issue.

OP
turnipsock

turnipsock

Reaction score
I put it in with the Europarts spring, it's slightly lower on the offside, but the spring is intact...which is what counts.

I also replaced the exhast and the rear discs.

The replacement of the exhast meant it now passed the emission test.

I asked them to adjust the offside headlight if it was still low, they never said if they had to. I guess they took one look at how hard it was to get to the offside adjusters and said "forget it"

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
turnipsock said:

Congrats turnipsock, you worked hard for that.:D

Malcolm

OP
turnipsock

turnipsock

Reaction score
television said:
Congrats turnipsock, you worked hard for that.:D

Malcolm

Thank you. Once I have been to the post office to get a tax disk, I feel I should frame the MOT and mount it on the wall.

I did buy an angle grinder to get the exhast off, I've using it to cut slates today...it's a handy tool that I should have bought years ago.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
turnipsock said:
Thank you. Once I have been to the post office to get a tax disk, I feel I should frame the MOT and mount it on the wall.

I did buy an angle grinder to get the exhast off, I've using it to cut slates today...it's a handy tool that I should have bought years ago.
Do it in front of the fire on the Web, you can do that with a new MOT. A diamond blade is well worth the money last for years

malcolm

OP
turnipsock

turnipsock

Reaction score
The spring issue is now bothering me.

I found a picture I took when I first got the car.

I changend the springs and it seemed to end up lower at the front, even though these were genuine MB parts ordered against the chassis number.

The new europarts spring makes it sit even lower at the front.

The old picture has the car sitting with the hight looking correct.

Attachments

• Car1.jpg
    Car1.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 40

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom