W202: Shuddering under breaking, wheel bearing adjusted, long term fix required

HeavyOil

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
202 & 463
On the motorway, I noticed a pulsating brake pedal and the whole car shaking under moderate braking. I thought my brake disks were warped so booked the car into a local garage for a free brake inspection.

They reported that a front wheel bearing was loose, and they had tightened it. (Apparently the 202 is one of a few cars where this is adjustable). This has fixed the whole issue.

I checked the car service records and see that Olly @ PCS did a similar adjustment in 2010.

Should I get the bearing replaced or just live with it (as I already do for the slight seepage from the differential)? I intend to keep the car.

All contributions welcome ;-)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
All Mercedes have adjustable front wheel bearings, if no noise from the bearing just leave it, they are dead easy to adjust.

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
I had the same front brake issue on my 210, as was advised on the last few MOTs (prior to my ownership).

All it needed was the hub faces cleaned up properly. Small amounts of rust or crud on the faces can put the disc out of true.

Last edited:
OP
H

HeavyOil

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
202 & 463
I had the same front brake issue on my 210, as was advised on the last few MOTs (prior to my ownership).

All it needed was the hub faces cleaned up properly. Small amounts of rust or crud on the faces can put the disc out of true.

The issue is not the brakes - runout was checked and is just within spec (0.10mm runout, limit is 0.12mm)

Malcolm - While its great to be able to adjust the brakes, do you think that 2 adjustments in 6 years might mean imminent replacement?

Many thanks for all the advice so far. Sorry to post in the wrong sub-forum.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The issue is not the brakes - runout was checked and is just within spec (0.10mm runout, limit is 0.12mm)

Malcolm - While its great to be able to adjust the brakes, do you think that 2 adjustments in 6 years might mean imminent replacement?

Many thanks for all the advice so far. Sorry to post in the wrong sub-forum.

It did make me wonder if the lock nut was set correctly the first time

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom