1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W204 2008 rear subframe failure!

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering & Brakes' started by syncman, Nov 22, 2017.

1. davemercedes

davemercedes Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av
    My S203 was 'born' in March 2007. Seeing this thread, I got my service garage to check both sub frames and thankfully they reported back that it's all okay. At my request, this inspection will be repeated whenever it's serviced in future.

Thanks for your reports guys - I hope everything works out okay.
    - And Chaz780 - maybe you need to talk to another Dealership. Especially good luck to you!

Wighty likes this.
  2. Utras Nadar

Utras Nadar New Member

Your Mercedes:
    E Class (2120saloon-E200CDi (FIS)/ 2010/ 1978cc
    Wow how did he manage to get this repair done. My E200 has failed the MOT today for the same reason rear sub frame corrosion and hole in frame.

3. Utras Nadar

Utras Nadar New Member

Your Mercedes:
    E Class (2120saloon-E200CDi (FIS)/ 2010/ 1978cc
    I am intregued to find out that the Rear sub frame corrosion on MB seems to be somewhat common. I have just returned from the MB garrage at Cambridge loaded with a failed MOT certificate on my E200 cdi reason Sub-Frame corroded to the extent that the rigidity of the assembly is significantly reduced Nearside Rear (Corroded and holed). They estimate it would cost £1800 to put it right. I had this car from new form 2010 bought at the same MB dealer and serviced with them regularly. It has done 106800 miles and we normally keep our car for 10 years and this is my 3rd MB. I did not have this issue with my last E200 . Any suggestion as how I should approach this problem with MB. Help.

4. Wighty

Wighty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
    If they are going to check the subframe , they might as well spray some rust preventer stuff inside it and all over it . (15 mins work on a ramp) It may significantly slow down the problem pushing any failure to outside your ownership

davemercedes and Blobcat like this.
  5. davemercedes

davemercedes Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av
    Yes, thanks - A very obvious (but overlooked) plan of action!

Wighty likes this.
  6. Wighty

Wighty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
    I doubt the idea came from me first buddy :D

7. barian

barian Active Senior Members

Your Mercedes:
    S213 E220d
    A number of owners appear to have had the replacement carried out free of charge by MB, so I suggest you talk to your local dealer in the first instance.

8. umblecumbuz

umblecumbuz Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S204 and CLC 204 cdi, other non-Merc machines
    I've had one 204, which had subframe rusting - mostly from the inside - and four 203's of various iterations. None of the 203's had any subframe rusting, although one was affected by rusting sills and arches. This seems to be a problem from the 204 era onwards.

9. Uncle Benz

Uncle Benz Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Mainly Mercedes
    Agree, I've never replaced one in a W203. I think the first cars affected by the problem routinely were the R171 SLK, which predates the W204 by a few years. Something changed. I think it might be the thickness of the steel, coupled with the drain holes being punched through, leaving a raised lip inside the box sections. It seems to me this raised lip allows a small puddle of water to remain within and not drain away.

Oldspanners and umblecumbuz like this.
  10. Chaz8790

Chaz8790 New Member

Your Mercedes:
    MERCEDES C180 SPORT BLUEEFFICIENCY AUTO , 2012, 01796cc Petrol
    Just been to the dealership and they have confirmed that the rear subframe has cracked. Cause is that I might have hit a pothole however they confirmed that corrosion could have compromised the strength of the frame. They have quoted me £2,100 to get it fixed. And offered the car as a part exchange towards another MB.

The car has only done 57k miles and is just less than 8 years

11. umblecumbuz

umblecumbuz Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S204 and CLC 204 cdi, other non-Merc machines
    That will definitely be an Mot failure if unsorted, so either way you have a problem.
    Merc don't seem to have a unified policy with this known and serious issue, so it would be worth making large loud waves.
    If they see you're not just going to roll over and die on this issue they may be inclined to make a better offer.

Wighty likes this.
  12. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    I seem to recall a 30 year anti-corrosion warranty on MBs. I'd be making a lot of noise about terminal corrosion of structural parts in just 8 years.

JBell, Wighty and Blobcat like this.
  13. accord

accord Member

Your Mercedes:
    E220/2010/2.2
    I have just returned from my local non MB garage after being told and shown both sides of my E220 Oct 2010 54000ml rear subframe are cracked and advised not to drive the car.
    He said MB should cover the cost or at the least make a large contribution as it a known fault and the car carrys a 10yr corrosion warranty.
    Any member know of similar cases and the outcome .

14. star

star Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    Smart + others :)
    Hit and miss with contribution from mb. Even then compare prices with indie if on part covered and a contribution is required.

Blobcat likes this.
  15. Uncle Benz

Uncle Benz Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Mainly Mercedes
    Another plus for the independent route - I apply a better coat of paint to the outside and waxoyl the inside via the drain holes to ensure the replacement lasts longer than the original. You won't find Mercedes doing that.