W204 - C Class - snib does not go up or down

MBnewbie123

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class W204 2008 2 litre
Hi,

Hopefully, someone can help me with this.

I have a 2008 C Class (W204) and the snib (the button that can be pressed down to lock the door) in the front passenger door is not going up or down when the central locking system is activated.

Can someone tell me what is causing this? And, also, what the solution is to it?

I used an OBD on the car and no fault, relevant to this problem, came up.

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
First video shows replacement with original parts which entails stripping out the door, the second using aftermarket mods.

OP
MBnewbie123

MBnewbie123

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi,

Thanks for the videos. I think there is no problem with the lock, but there may be a problem with the part/parts that cause the snib to go up and down. It may be the actuator. I say may because I do not want to lead someone to that conclusion, I want people to reply with their own ideas. There could be a problem with a fuse or electrical connection. All the other snibs are going up and down when the central locking system is activated.

In any event, it looks like quite a time-consuming and tricky job, so, I think will leave to a mechanic to fix this one. But, I would prefer to bring the car to a mechanic equipped the knowledge of what is wrong with the car and how it can be fixed.

If anyone has any ideas as to what is causing the problem and, of course, has a solution - please let me know.

Kind regards.

OP
MBnewbie123

MBnewbie123

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am beginning to think that is the actuator that needs to be replaced. Does anyone know what the cost of such repair would be?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
If the snib jiggles a bit when you lock/unlock the door, then it needs a new actuator. I assume the door doesn't lock/unlock correctly?

New lock actuator about £150 plus 1-2 hours labour.

OP
MBnewbie123

MBnewbie123

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If the snib jiggles a bit when you lock/unlock the door, then it needs a new actuator. I assume the door doesn't lock/unlock correctly?

New lock actuator about £150 plus 1-2 hours labour.

Hi alexanderfoti,

The snib does not giggle a bit, it just does not go up and down when I press the central locking/unlocking button on the key. The door locks okay, but to lock it I have to press the snib down when the door is open and then close the door, or put the snib down (from the insider) when the door is closed. The only way to unlock it is to pull the interior handle.

If you or anyone else can suggest a cause of the problem and a solution, I would be grateful.

Kind regards.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Yes so you need an actuator then, the actual lock is fine.

OP
MBnewbie123

MBnewbie123

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Okay, that's great. At least now I can go equipped to a mechanic with the knowledge of what the problem is and what the solution is. In your cost estimate, why do you say £150 plus labour? (or are you including labour in the £150). I checked how much an actuator for that door costs and the prices range from about £30 to £90. I appreciate labour will be specific to the location in the country and the mechanic.

Dampierre Dave

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class w204 2008 2.2 diesel
I have a similar problem, but the front passenger (lh foot) is locked closed, any suggestions how to get open. The lock does not cycle with the key fob, the inside snib does not up and down using the door unlock switch, but if you pull the inside door handle the snib goes up but the door remains locked. I feel confident in either fitting an after market actuator or replacing the whole lock assembly, but I need the door open to facilitate this. Will a diagnostic tool be able power the lock or is a trip to a dealer needed. Many thanks in advance

Mercedes1602

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedesc220sport2009
I have a similar problem, but the front passenger (lh foot) is locked closed, any suggestions how to get open. The lock does not cycle with the key fob, the inside snib does not up and down using the door unlock switch, but if you pull the inside door handle the snib goes up but the door remains locked. I feel confident in either fitting an after market actuator or replacing the whole lock assembly, but I need the door open to facilitate this. Will a diagnostic tool be able power the lock or is a trip to a dealer needed. Many thanks in advance
Hi there..
I have the same problem and the diagnostic hasn't worked either !. So its just one closed mess !.
Can I ask, have you fixed it ? . And how ?
And thanks if you have time to reply

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom