[W204] Replace 30GB HDD for newest map updates

Operations

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 - C350 - 2007
I own a W204 C350 build in 2007. Which means it holds the 30GB HDD.

Now i know i am asking a question which has been asked before. But i am finding quite a lot of conflicting information, even more when i include the topics on Dutch forums. Plus because the car is getting a bit old, a lot of the topics are old and are often mentioning dead URLs.

Please correct me if i am wrong:

I am able to replace the 30GB with an 40GB Ata disc. Mercedes normally uses a Toshiba MK4036GAC 2.5" Automotive HDD 40GB. The biggest concern is using one that can handle the vibrations better than a standard disc.

But on many dutch forums the say that it is not possible to simple clone the 30GB to a bigger one. The car will not accept the new disc because the disc is encrypted/encoded. Is this true?

I have found some topics that talk about making the music partition a bit smaller, if you do this it should be possible to install the newest available map dvd. Is this true ? But they do not say how to do this or the links are dead (i know how to use partition tools) and the warn about the encryption. Does somebody know how to do this? It would probably be the easiest way to go.

Simple last question, updating the map is that done by the Engineering menu and than the software update version?

Maybe a dumb question but is there also a way to update the Comand system? My car holds a NTG4, as you all probably know :)

Any ideas?

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
I had the same problem and, with assistance from comand.co.uk, investigated and found the HDD in your (my) Comand NTG4, as you say a Toshiba, and what was needed to sort it. Luckily I'm only a 2 hour drive from Comand.co.uk 3 miles from J3 M3 at Lightwater, Surrey, so in about Feb last year took the car to them, they changed the HDD, installed the latest 2018-19 maps and made sure everything was working. OK, it cost! https://www.commandonline.co.uk/W204-NTG4-hard-drive-upgrade.html. If you're too far from Lightwater I'd suggest you have your VIN handy so you can all them, let then look up your build sheet then advice and quote for what you need. FYI MB are still releasing NTG4 map updates - which means you retain the ability to use "second user" DVD's and then sell them on, rather than needing a vehicle specific PIN (at a cost) plus the DVD's. My work was done in about Feb last year and has worked fine ever since - plus did not loose any of my saved destinations!

I kept the old HDD and have a USB SATA adapter, it would not even see the original MB HDD so attempting to re-size the maps partition would not work, I could not even access what was on the old HDD.

OP
O

Operations

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 - C350 - 2007
I had the same problem and, with assistance from comand.co.uk, investigated and found the HDD in your (my) Comand NTG4, as you say a Toshiba, and what was needed to sort it. Luckily I'm only a 2 hour drive from Comand.co.uk 3 miles from J3 M3 at Lightwater, Surrey, so in about Feb last year took the car to them, they changed the HDD, installed the latest 2018-19 maps and made sure everything was working. OK, it cost! https://www.commandonline.co.uk/W204-NTG4-hard-drive-upgrade.html. If you're too far from Lightwater I'd suggest you have your VIN handy so you can all them, let then look up your build sheet then advice and quote for what you need. FYI MB are still releasing NTG4 map updates - which means you retain the ability to use "second user" DVD's and then sell them on, rather than needing a vehicle specific PIN (at a cost) plus the DVD's. My work was done in about Feb last year and has worked fine ever since - plus did not loose any of my saved destinations!

I kept the old HDD and have a USB SATA adapter, it would not even see the original MB HDD so attempting to re-size the maps partition would not work, I could not even access what was on the old HDD.

Chris, thanks for your reply. And i probably should have mentioned this... but i live across the sea in The Netherlands :)

And i think you mean an USB - ATA adapter? Since the car uses the old ATA interface and not SATA?

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
You're correct, I'd forgotten, my USB docking station is indeed SATA, I bought a SATA to ATA adapter so I could connect the old HDD, could not see the drive and I believe MB use some wierd and wonderful OS that normal PC's can't read!

Even though you're in Holland I'd still suggest contacting Mark (@Alfie on here) or @richard at comand.co.uk, maybe by email, that way you'll get the info of what's needed.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom