1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W210 300TD gearbox and diagnostic issues...

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, Fuel and Exhaust' started by SHynes, Apr 13, 2020.

1. SHynes

SHynes New Member

Your Mercedes:
    E300 Turbo Diesel Elegance 1997 OM606.962
    First time posting, done some hunting and can’t find a definitive answer.

I recently invested in a 1997 E300TD. When I test drove it it was jammed in second gear which I have since found out is limp mode. So I went and invested in a snap on adapter to fit the diagnostic port in the 210’s. No communication what so ever. No control units will talk to my machine at all. Now when I first seen the car it wasn’t starting and after some digging I found the ECU box had been leaking and was filling with water. Blew all the water out with compressed air and sprayed up with WD-40. Attempted start again and started first turn after lying up for 2 years.

My question is, is there any way to read faults from the 722.6 in my car without the diagnostic port? Or a way to fix it? Checked all fuses including those in ECU box all ok. Has anyone else had an issue like this? The adapter talks 100% with my E300D parts car so no issues there.

Thanks in advance.

Jim2 likes this.
  2. Silver_Star

Silver_Star Senior Member

Rural Leicestershire near where Pork Pies and Stil
    Your Mercedes:
    W203.006, S211.208 Land Rover 90
    Could well be the conductor plate in the gearbox, easy enough to change.

Check the TCU first for any oil contamination that seeps in from the pilot bush connector on the gearbox.

Jim2 likes this.
  3. OP
    SHynes

SHynes New Member

Your Mercedes:
    E300 Turbo Diesel Elegance 1997 OM606.962
    Thanks Silver_star! Checked TCU and the big multi-plug for contamination and found nowt... Found a few corroded pins at TCU due to water ingress. Could that have fried my TCU? Thanks!

Jim2 likes this.