W212 E250 Rattle noise in park

JBOWLER

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 2012
Hi all

I have a strange rattle/fast ticking noise somewhere in the engine bay when I take my car out of Gear (D) then into park (P). The ticking slowly reduces in 10 seconds and then is unnoticeable and continues to run normally again (Diesel engine noise)

have any idea what it could be?

cheers.

CowleyStJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz E63s, Old knackered G wagon
Hi all

I have a strange rattle/fast ticking noise somewhere in the engine bay when I take my car out of Gear (D) then into park (P). The ticking slowly reduces in 10 seconds and then is unnoticeable and continues to run normally again (Diesel engine noise)

have any idea what it could be?

cheers.

Could be a hydraulic lifter being lazy if this is happening after start up.
Another item that could produce that sort of noise is timing chain, tensioner.
Do an oil change with correct spec oil, how many miles? Year of manufacture?

OP
J

JBOWLER

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 2012
Could be a hydraulic lifter being lazy if this is happening after start up.
Another item that could produce that sort of noise is timing chain, tensioner.
Do an oil change with correct spec oil, how many miles? Year of manufacture?

Hi Crowley,

Yes - so on initial start up there is no noise.

After I’ve driven the car for say 5/10 minutes and then go into park, the rattle/fast tapping noise happens for 10 seconds before disappearing.

I have also sightly rev’d the car while in park to see if this would stop the rattle/tapping noise and did not.

I have done a full service April 2019 - Engine oil I used was Castrol edge 0W-30 however have not checked the oil level lately.

the car has 80,000 on the clock and is a 2012 reg the later edition.

OP
J

JBOWLER

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 2012
I have just topped up the engine oil before leaving work. Still the sound persists.

Very bazaar; just doing a quick process just parking on my driveway - I hear the noise begin when I release my foot from the brake once it is in park (P) ... that I don’t understand ..

any further ideas?

CowleyStJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz E63s, Old knackered G wagon
May be worth making sure all the undertrays are secure, I had a horrible buzzing that turned out to be a badly refitted engine tray. Annoying as hell.
When you rev the car when the rattling is happening, does the rattle get faster or stay the same?

OP
J

JBOWLER

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 2012
I’m not sure if it will be a under tray just because of how it slowly fades off after 10 second; however I will be replacing the turbo pipe this week, so will have a thorough inspection on the lifting ramp.

Could there be any i to do with the transmission that could cause this rattle? It’s the 7-Gtronic semi auto transmission. Gears feel completely fine and change smoothly no issues.

It’s just when I take I out of gear into Neutral (N) sight ticking noise and then into park (P) while simultaneously taking my foot off the brake pedal begins to rattle very noticeably before fading away after the 10 second period..

Hmmm

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom