W212 iPod or generic MP3 player?

jeremy156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202 C200 (1999)
I have a 2010 W212 E-class with a Media Interface connection in the glovebox. I don't have a cable or an MP3 player and so before I go and buy anything I wanted to understand what the difference would be if I spend out on an Apple iPod vs a generic MP3 player connected via USB.

Is there a difference in how the music library is presented on-screen, for example? Will one interface power/charge the device where the other won't?

Guidance would be appreciated as the iPods are certainly a lot more expensive but I want to make sure I get a good library of music and have an easy time navigating through it on the Audio-50 music/navigation system.

Thanks,
Jeremy

OP
jeremy156

jeremy156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202 C200 (1999)
In fact, I'm just wondering whether I've missed the point......

If I simply connect a USB stick full of MP3 files to the Media Interface USB cable, will the system index the files into folders/artists/albums itself? Do I even need "an MP3 player" at all, let alone an iPod?

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
I have a 2010 W212 E-class with a Media Interface connection in the glovebox. I don't have a cable or an MP3 player and so before I go and buy anything I wanted to understand what the difference would be if I spend out on an Apple iPod vs a generic MP3 player connected via USB.

Is there a difference in how the music library is presented on-screen, for example? Will one interface power/charge the device where the other won't?

Guidance would be appreciated as the iPods are certainly a lot more expensive but I want to make sure I get a good library of music and have an easy time navigating through it on the Audio-50 music/navigation system.

Thanks,
Jeremy

You will get the best integration with an ipod as it allows you to scroll through and select Artists/genres/albums/playlists etc all on the audio screen. You will get limited track name/navigation with MP3.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom