W212 LED headlamp replacement, £1,100?!

Jasandjules

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 Estate (s205)
Don't suppose you can get an auto electrician to have a quick look in case it is a simple wire fix issue?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
There is no requirement for the DRL requirement to be fulfilled by LEDS, a standard incandescent 5w bulb does the job on much cheaper vehicles.
All I'm going to say is:

Volvo. (Of the 80s and 90s).

Simple readily enabled system using existing hardware.

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
All I'm going to say is:

Volvo. (Of the 80s and 90s).

Simple readily enabled system using existing hardware.

Ah, back in the 80's where we'd flash drivers in the daytime to tell them they had left their lights on and Volvo drivers got peed off of people flashing them...

Last edited:

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Will us misers be able to pass an mot by just adding a permanently wired 5w bulb when we buy one of these cars from the scrap yard/the bay when it's only problem is a failed drl?

I doubt the tester would know about what type approved lights each car has so if you did it "well" im sure it would be fine.

They might not really care either even if they dont work? As long as the proper headlights/main beam/indicators work, particularly while many cars are out there that dont have drls...

Im assuming the drls have no real function other than to look cool and for people who forget to switch proper lights on so the ops only problem is with the test, but i could be wrong as never had a car with them.

sug

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w205 c200 2017 2000cc
It is just built in obsolescence to part customers from as much money as possible . A couple of 5w bulbs would have done the same job if designed in originally. Its disappointing to me that MB have joined the rush to rip off customers

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
It is just built in obsolescence to part customers from as much money as possible . A couple of 5w bulbs would have done the same job if designed in originally. Its disappointing to me that MB have joined the rush to rip off customers
They haven’t, how about £800 for a Polo headlamp?

LED headlights are very good to drive behind, giving an excellent lighting pattern and generally much longer life and much less power consumption than HID or Halogen.

Austy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 SL320 2003 CLK270CDI 2004 E320CDI 2006 CLS320CDI
Control module replaced and coded in and now everything is working as it should! :)

well done on getting a result. out of interest what did it all cost in the end?

OP
C

cheapshots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E250 (petrol) 2013
People have different opinions on DRL’s, but speaking from experience I wouldn’t get them.

Whilst the intelligent light system on my car is lovely to have at night I wouldn’t get it again. I feel DRLs are purely cosmetic and whilst they look really nice, they’re not practical. They do and will fail.

I would much rather be able to change a burnt out bulb for £2-£10 then pay what I did and have this hassle.

The costs I incurred:
£60 diagnostic (annoyingly they couldn’t tell if it was the control modules (remember there’s two) or the headlight that needed replacing)
£40 annual membership to MB part online
£150 labour to swap control modules from left to right to pin point which module was at fault
£200 refurbished MB control unit
£150 coding and installation of control unit

plus an unbelievable amount of hassle ! Ppl

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
The ultimate injustice was that MB diagnosed a faulty headlight so if you had gone with that it would have been the cost of a new headlight plus control module....

Glad you’ve got it sorted daren’t mention it to my son who’s running a W213, might encourage me to hang on a bit longer to my 212 pre-facelift

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
People have different opinions on DRL’s, but speaking from experience I wouldn’t get them.

Whilst the intelligent light system on my car is lovely to have at night I wouldn’t get it again. I feel DRLs are purely cosmetic and whilst they look really nice, they’re not practical. They do and will fail. .....

Fortunately my DRL are stand alone & not part of the headlamp. Glad you're sorted .... bl**dy expensive fault though.

FredaMerc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI AMG
I knew the sealed units were expensive but not being able to change an LED is insane. I eventually got a used one at Prestige All Parts mercedes. Do remember that the light will need to be programmed and its only MB who can do this. Add an extra 60 quid for a 10 minute job. Second hand unit cost 150 so was happy. But ITS STILL A BULB

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
I guess it would be interesting to find out what is failing in these units but with 2030 looming I not sure there would be a big market for it.
Once they get to around 15 years old or so, a failed headlight could send it to the scrappies.

FredaMerc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI AMG
I actually emailed Germany. The reply I got back was the LED should not fail and it was the reason they used them instead of standard bulbs for their longevity. Of course, that doesnt help when you are looking at the price of a new unit.

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
I actually emailed Germany. The reply I got back was the LED should not fail and it was the reason they used them instead of standard bulbs for their longevity. Of course, that doesnt help when you are looking at the price of a new unit.

In that case then, as long as they are not physically damaged, they should be replaced FoC.

FredaMerc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI AMG
In that case then, as long as they are not physically damaged, they should be replaced FoC.
Totally.... considering the rest of the unit components can be replaced if a bulb goes. Why can the LED not be replaced.? I feel it is just another long list of issues at MB.

FredaMerc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI AMG
erm the LED did not fail it was the module
Module as in the whole unit or the little box under the light. Indicator LED is still working as well as everything in the unit. Can the module be replaced?

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
The entire LED issue is legislation to protect the environment. Just like filament bulbs not on sale for the house they get rid of them in cars.
They generate too much heat.

FredaMerc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI AMG
Yet the whole light unit now needs replacing. Thats good for the environment as its full of bulbs that work. I dont think!!

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom