WARNING TO CLS OWNERS!!! 8000 mile tyres!

Ghost CLS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS63 AMG Black / SL500 Black / CLK 320 Coupe Dark Blue / BMW Z3 2.8 Black Soft Top
I have (I think - to cold to go out & look) 255's on the front & 275's on the back. Now just over 16k & still with far amount of tread, so 8k dose sound a bit savage.

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
I've still got loads of tread left on my rear tyres, and that's after 12K miles, so I can't see why a CLS would eat them.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I've still got loads of tread left on my rear tyres, and that's after 12K miles, so I can't see why a CLS would eat them.

My thoughts too sweety, they recon about 14 for the rears on ours

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
dads c220cdi (manual) was only getting 10k miles from the rears, (goodyear nct5) and IIRC 20k from michelins! seems none of the modern MB's are particularly great for tyre life, particularly ones that dont do many motorway miles

Got 25k out of micheilin primacy HPs or whatover. Original tyre for my car. I drive around town, indulde in traffic light grandprixs and in a spirited way on rural roads. 10k on this set and still about 6mm left.

I'd expect a V6 to maybe get a bit less, but not an awful lot less.

survey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C207 E250cdi Sport Coupe
Got 25k out of micheilin primacy HPs or whatover. Original tyre for my car. I drive around town, indulde in traffic light grandprixs and in a spirited way on rural roads. 10k on this set and still about 6mm left.

I'd expect a V6 to maybe get a bit less, but not an awful lot less.

st4 - So what did you think of the Michelin HP's? Noise? Grip? Apart from the price! On my C220cdi estate the present Bridgestone Turanza's look like doing 20K on the rear; I thought that was bad until I read of the 8K quoted by the OP!

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
st4 - So what did you think of the Michelin HP's? Noise? Grip? Apart from the price! On my C220cdi estate the present Bridgestone Turanza's look like doing 20K on the rear; I thought that was bad until I read of the 8K quoted by the OP!

I'd go with Primacy HP everytime now, my last ones did 35k all round, Pirelli's before that were toast on the rear at 11k.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I'd go with Primacy HP everytime now, my last ones did 35k all round, Pirelli's before that were toast on the rear at 11k.

Having been a passenger I think that you may have slowed down to stop the tyres from wearing so fast;):D

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver

Not just me then that rates them!

Its not a performance tyre but I find grip good and noise suppression excellent, very very quiet car. Never not had primacy HP on the car but I know they are dear but buy cheap, pay twice!!!.

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
Having been a passenger I think that you may have slowed down to stop the tyres from wearing so fast;):D

Actually I did. I was so shocked at the Kojack's that I put them on the front and drove like a snail on Diazapam. I had Nunns on pushbikes overtaking me...until I could afford new tyres... ;)

I did wonder what the nasty steering vibration was for the last 4000 miles of the Pirelli's...the tread was lifting off on one on from the inside...

RichardSmith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 SLC43 AMG; Nissan 300zx; Range Rover Evoque
I have to say I am disappointed with the wear factor of the rears on my SLK350.

I had new Conti Sportcontact 3 MOs fitted last year and after a tad below 8k miles they are already on the tread wear markers. I thought that Contis would last a bit longer, but sadly not. They do have better grip than the Pirelli Pzero rossos fitted from the factory though - I guess better grip is achieved by a softer compound; which of course will wear quicker.....

Richard:cry:

jubhi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Sport Coupe Brabus D6-III, A150 SE, Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade
We have seen this before, big engined torqey deisel all that power to the drive wheels every time you move away from stand still.

I think this is true. These engines have 540 Nm Torque and most of the power is very low down the rev range compared to the big SL's hence there is more friction on the tyre with the road under normal driving conditions than that probably of the big SL's like Televisions and 100%Bitch. That's why I would say the tyres wear quicker on these cars.

Obviously it depends on how heavy the driver's foot is but generally speaking it is so easy with these engines to get the traction control light flashing even when you don't mean to. Also with it being a diesel the fuel economy is pretty decent and one doesn't think too much about driving economically as maybe if they had a SL500 or a SL55 maybe! :confused:

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
s.

Obviously it depends on how heavy the driver's foot is but generally speaking it is so easy with these engines to get the traction control light flashing even when you don't mean to. Also with it being a diesel the fuel economy is pretty decent and one doesn't think too much about driving economically as maybe if they had a SL500 or a SL55 maybe! :confused:

A diesel car buyer does tend to have economy closer in mind than a petrol engined buyer who is keener on and and out performance. Less so nowadays but still a valid generalisation.

Its easy to light up the tyres on my humble 220cdi but most of these cars have advanced esp which reigns in excess torque, wheel spin is quite well reigned in ergo tyre wear.

I suppose the mid range surge may munch tyres and now cars generate a lot of grip putting high lateral wear on tyres.

Parrot of Doom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Was an E300TD, now a Lexus LS400
Its quite simple. Either your geometry is mis-aligned, or your right foot is too heavy.

I'm on 25,000 miles on the rears and they're just about down to the wear indicators. Michelin Primacy HP - and I'm slow at accelerating either.

OP
R

robbydso

Reaction score
Holier than thou!!!!!

Dear all,

Thank you for your responses.

Just as I expected.... Some helpful comments and quite a few "holier than thou" remarks.

To all of the latter.
I am not used to this Mercedes tyre phenomenon. The last car I owned was a BMW 745i. This car had a 4.4 V8, was a lot heavier and more powerful than the CLS and yet I got 25,000 miles from the rear Continental tyres. The cars previous to the 745i were a BMW 735i and a BMW 525i. All of which performed to between 22,000 and 25,000 on their tyres.

So you see it would not even occur to me to check the tread on the tyres at 8000 miles. My point is that 8000 miles was when the technician noticed them being bald. They may have been shot a lot earlier. This is a genuine problem. Not just a case of premature tyre wear.

To those of you who doubt that I drive very carefully.....How is it that I could achieve 25000 miles on a set of tyres and how on earth have I still got at least half the tread left on my front tyres at 27000 miles. I live in Milton Keynes which, as some of you may know consists mainly of roundabouts. This normally leads to abnormal wear on front tyres.Not so with mine. Surely if I drove like a boy racer, the front tyres would need to be replaced before 27,000

I am still waiting to hear from a CLS driver.

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
As one of the holier than thou.
To go 8000 miles on any kind of tyres without checking them is perhaps remiss.

My "unbelievable" comment stemmed from when I read on,to discover that having seen a pair of tyres wear out in 8000 miles,you then ignored a second set until they were bald.
Will you be posting again in 8000 miles time?

Regards,
Nick.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Dear all,

Thank you for your responses.

Just as I expected.... Some helpful comments and quite a few "holier than thou" remarks.

To all of the latter.
I am not used to this Mercedes tyre phenomenon. The last car I owned was a BMW 745i. This car had a 4.4 V8, was a lot heavier and more powerful than the CLS and yet I got 25,000 miles from the rear Continental tyres. The cars previous to the 745i were a BMW 735i and a BMW 525i. All of which performed to between 22,000 and 25,000 on their tyres.

So you see it would not even occur to me to check the tread on the tyres at 8000 miles. My point is that 8000 miles was when the technician noticed them being bald. They may have been shot a lot earlier. This is a genuine problem. Not just a case of premature tyre wear.
I get 16k from a set of 'budget' tyres on my E, which is basically the same car as your CLS albeit with a slightly smaller engine. Thats on the motorway. staop/start and heavu acceleration and I reckon I could beat your 8k - but I'd only really have myself to blame.

To those of you who doubt that I drive very carefully.....How is it that I could achieve 25000 miles on a set of tyres and how on earth have I still got at least half the tread left on my front tyres at 27000 miles. I live in Milton Keynes which, as some of you may know consists mainly of roundabouts. This normally leads to abnormal wear on front tyres.Not so with mine. Surely if I drove like a boy racer, the front tyres would need to be replaced before 27,000

I am still waiting to hear from a CLS driver.

Your answer is in your comments. Your pevious cars were petrol engined. Your CLS is a very torquey diesel. I would say, both from your previous cars and also your tyre wear your right foot is quite heavy. No critisism, so is mine, but as has been said, because a diesel produces vast amounts or torque low down, unless you're gentle, it will wear them out much faster.
Assuming they are wearing evenly and your pressures are correct then 8k is awful, especially on a set of Michelins but bottom line, there is nothing on the car per-se that could do this. Only your driving style.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom