1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We've Been Cloned - and now fines are stacking up.....

Discussion in 'General Mercedes-Benz Related Discussion' started by Fiona/Trevor, Nov 20, 2020.

1. EmilysDad

EmilysDad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML350
    I must just have been lucky as nothing like this has ever happened to me. The closest was when eBay suspended my account when someone in Thailand tried to use my account.

2. davemercedes

davemercedes Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av
    Ineresting, Ron. If youve seen the way High Court "Sherrifs" carry on, if they are instructed to act upon someone, that's exactly what they do. If I had chosen to ignore my first wake up call where a council in the NW of England came after me for falsely overdue rent (long story... in the end their CEO apologised to me because their employees had not followed their own ID procedures) then I would have been in deep lumber. - If it had gone to the High Court - which is what the TV program "Can't pay - we'll take it away" illustrates - I could have been forced to allow them into my house, list and remove property and no matter what I said about innocence - if they have a live writ, they enforce it and I would have been left hoping that I would get back my goods or monies once it was proven that I was an innocent party!

3. Ron240

Ron240 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2020 CLA 250
    Again I totally sympathise....but one should not be out of pocket if one is totally and completely innocent....that is for the law of the land to prove otherwise.

Yes this is a simplistic attitude, but one i would defend to my dying day.

4. mioba

mioba Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
    Totally sympathise OP. Most frustrating is the hassle of proving that you are blindly innocent. PERSEVERE AND KEEP COOL. It will all come good.

Fiona/Trevor likes this.
  5. sonic

sonic Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
  6. EmilysDad

EmilysDad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML350
    only to a degree. As I've said before, due to a faux pas with the insurer, EmilysMum's car effectively had no insurance for the best part of a year (they noted the reg plate wrong & I didn't notice) and the car had been up & down the country without a ping from ANPR

davemercedes likes this.
  7. sonic

sonic Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
    I have been retired 20 years but even back then we were struggling to attend all ANPR pings. I hate to think how bad it is now.

DSK likes this.
  8. eman

eman Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Yr17 W166 GLE 350 Amg Premium Plus + Night Edition
    One of my gaffers got pulled in his Range Rover with a car full of clients going to a golf day. Got boxed in with the boys in blue coming out with their guns at the ready. Apparently his car had been cloned and was committing armed robberies everywhere. After proving it wasn’t him he was told by them to put a piece of tape on his plate front and back so as to show up if his car got pinged in future. He got pulled again for having tape on his plate until he told them the situation. But that’s how they knew it wasn’t him when the others pinged a camera. His RR had private plates on as well.

DSK and umblecumbuz like this.
  9. Hotspur

Hotspur Active Member

Your Mercedes:
    E350 CDI Sport Saloon / 2012 / 3.0 Diesel
    you mean tape to cover the numbers and letters or just as a marker somewhere on the plate to show it was different to the plate caught on camera's

bembo449 likes this.
  10. ajlsl600

ajlsl600 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
    Sorry to read this. Frankly I would be inspecting and polishin a friend of mine, dreadful story.

11. Crispian

Crispian Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E350 Amg line,Tvr chimaera.
    Unfortunately the quickest way to sort this is to but a cheap plate from dvla,you can transfer it pretty much instantly.

bembo449 likes this.
  12. Jim2

Jim2 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
    When these thieves drive into a filling station, fill up, and then drive off without paying, surely they are caught on CCTV? And straight away the filling station will contact the Police ? So the car details / Reg should go on the Police system immediately ?

Fiona/Trevor and Wighty like this.
  13. ajlsl600

ajlsl600 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
    If u have plenty of spare cash it is so.

Jim2 likes this.
  14. DeeEmm

DeeEmm Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C220 CDI ESTATE 2012
    To the OP, the best thing you can do is to place a bit of black tape on your numberplate front and rear say in the top right corner.
    Then take a photograph of your car with the tape attached to the plate, then contact or email the forces where the clone has been used with the picture of your car and say the tape will remain on your plate so any other ANPR hits will be the cloned vehicle.

That way the respective forces can see the cloned car and hopefully catch it.
    There is no need to change your registration number just mark yours as the true vehicle.

Fiona/Trevor likes this.
  15. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    R171 SLK280 3.0, Land Rover 110 County SW
    And what is stopping you peeling the tape off filling up with fuel, driving off without paying and then doing 100mph up the dual carriageway before putting the tape back on when you get home?...:rolleyes:

richlumb likes this.
  16. DeeEmm

DeeEmm Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C220 CDI ESTATE 2012
    The OP wants a way to differentiate his car from the cloned car and a visible marker on the plate is a way of doing so.

Wighty likes this.
  17. robin.large

robin.large Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    CLS C63 AMG 2013
    As the OP is likely to be an upstanding member of the public as a forum member they don't need to differentiate do they? They know it wasn't them and a bit of removable tape just doesn't make the grade as any sort of evidence either way.
    More useful would be a new set of plates with a flag identity on them (England, Scotland, Wales etc).

Also useful is to have a tracking device which can prove your location - I use an Amatrac from Amazon with which I can view historic positions and data and print out using Tracksolid App.

Either they have to put up with having to deny the offenses which is usually short term as the offender's will change plates again soon enough or attach a private plate. It's an expense for sure but relatively minor.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Wighty likes this.
  18. DeeEmm

DeeEmm Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C220 CDI ESTATE 2012
    It's not for them,it's for the police to identify the cloned vehicle.

19. robin.large

robin.large Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    CLS C63 AMG 2013
    I'm pretty sure the boys in blue just wouldn't bother. They don't even attend burglaries etc so a cross jurisdiction effort just isn't going to happen.
    In any case as the number plate manufacturers details should be on the number plate by law then they can already be distinguished. As per my earlier post more permanent marks other than a bit of tape are already easily available.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

20. Jim2

Jim2 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
    But once the details have been entered into the Police data base, should it not automatically red flag the car at any police checkpoint / routine meeting on the roads etc. ?