What do you clean and polish yours with

johnmowcop

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI 2005 Also Atego /2002/diesel
I have had recommended either Carplan or Meguiars, not sure which product of each. Any experience out there with either or alternative.
johnT
the car is black.

Last edited:

Slartibardfast1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S350L, R231 SL350 & SL400
I have had recommended either Carplan or Meguiars, not sure which product of each. Any experience out there with either or alternative.
johnT
You can't go wrong with Meguiars and I'm sure you'll get lots of other recommendations from other members.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
What colour is your car?

For silver and light colours, Auto Glym super resin polish followed by a good wax like Bilt Hamber double speed and a final spray of Sonax Brilliant shine detailer will keep your car's paintwork good for months.

For black and dark colours, Poorboys Black Hole glaze followed by the same wax and detailer.
The Turtle wax ceramic wax sprays are pretty good if you are short on time. Just apply to a clean wet car and wipe off.

But you really need to prepare your paintwork first. Use a Meguiars Clay Mitt to take all the existing polishes off and leave the surface like glass.
Then you'll be ready to start polishing.

Snake Charmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E320 CDI 2004
"What do you clean and polish yours with"

I take it we are talking cars.....
Pressure washer and truck wash to start then sponge and some fancy shampoo from Costco that has replaced the Fairy Liquid. T-Cut for the Sainsburys car park and commuting tête-à-tête.

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
I'm using Autoglym Polar stuff that is spray on as it is really easy.
The polar seal is really good for those short of time (or CBA).

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
You will get as many recommendations as there are products, some by people who only ever use their favourite and others like me who keep trying new stuff.

My suggestion is the Turtle Wax 'Hybrid Ceramic' range. It is really good stuff. It goes a long way (I reckon I’d have got 10 or 12 applications out of a bottle (they say to say spread it as thinly) - which in theory will last 12 years as they say it lasts 12 months) and lasts as well as the advertise. My car was still beading on (the upper surfaces) more than two years after I applied it.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
For silver and light colours, Auto Glym super resin polish followed by a good wax like Bilt Hamber double speed and a final spray of Sonax Brilliant shine detailer will keep your car's paintwork good for months.

AG also do Ultra Deep Shine which is SRP for dark cars, I use it on my car.

I also use BH Wax and Sonax, brilliant products

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Well my polish never changes Turtle Wax . so you see i have been old school fo 50 years But last year i went for a change . After searching , and reading up , on this or that type of car polish . i went for this little tin of Ultima Ceramic Wax inc SIO2 . Never seen anything like this polish for protection and shine . In 6 months i have used it once .Only push back is the price £22 for the size of a shoe poilish tin

Attachments

• mkkkkkkkkkkkkk.jpg
    mkkkkkkkkkkkkk.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 8

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Every time I wash mine it gets filthy immediately. I have now Given Up.

Morethanpolish

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Kompressor
I know I am perceived to have an axe to grind but after 20 years in the car care business, I am amazed people still use, let alone recommend, Super Resin Polish.
Its chalky, dusty, leaves white marks on black trim that are almost impossible to remove, and residue around metal trim, decals etc. If unprotected, it dulls again in 3 weeks. Life has moved on....

Any clay bar or mitt will do, rather than overpriced ones with a proprietary Quick Detailer as the overspecced lubricant.

Megs products are OK, very mid-market but freely available but a small increased investment in better, niche products will pay dividends in shine and durability. Adding a QD at the start of the process in my mind highlights a shortfall in the product being used under it.

True ceramics are only good for pristine paint, and if £20 seems a lot for any product, I'd venture the car doesnt have it. Ditto, if you have no clue what brand to buy, you'll ideally be looking for a product with fillers to hide swirls, and a ceramic will accentuate rather than hide those imperfections. A Ceramic detailer has questionanable bonding to various coatings, which, after all, are designed to repel liquids. So they do have a role but are not for everyone.

Best advice I can give is, try a few products yourself, from different brands, maybe use or obtain samples, and see how they suit YOUR car, paint, care routine and time you have available to spend on cleaning YOUR car.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
True ceramics are only good for pristine paint, ............
I’d add, that the ceramic needs to be applied by someone that knows what they are doing. My son used the same guy (mobile car wash guy that comes round every two weeks to wash their cars - I took one look at his cloths and setup and decided that he would never touch a car of mine) to do his ceramic on the new Taycan & E53 before that. Absolutely awful job. Washes the car in the garden then puts the car into the (very badly lit) garage to apply the ceramic. :rolleyes: Ripples etc........I said something once but now say nothing. He doesn’t care.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Autoglym is good in a way. But it deposit whitish powder inside all the gaps , like inside doors jabs boot lids and any crack it can find .

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
wash - mcguires gold class
polish - AG super resin polish
Wax - AG extra gloss protection

like an oil thread this.

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
Autoglym is good in a way. But it deposit whitish powder inside all the gaps , like inside doors jabs boot lids and any crack it can find .
That is a plus point for the car wash brigade. The white crystals temporarily fill in the scratches from the car wash brushes ;)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
That is a plus point for the car wash brigade. The white crystals temporarily fill in the scratches from the car wash brushes ;)
The brushes don’t (and can’t physically) scratch the paint…

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Seems like there is still a lot of love for AG Super Resin polish despite the white residue it can leave.
Yes, polishes with filler have moved on but its still a decent polish for a good price.
That was the reason I asked if the OP had a light coloured car. It's far less noticeable.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Unless they are loaded with dirt from the (real) off-roader that went just ahead of you.
That’s why they have water jets spraying at them

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom