What Have You Done To Your Merc Today?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Ozone damage it happens over time. I’d continue to use them and “enjoy” the car until they’re worn out :cool::p
It’s a legal reason to give the car an Italian tune- up every time you use it. I’m sure “wearing old tyres out” is covered in legislation ;)

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
Hard wired a dash cam into the e350.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Gave the 55 some welly.......eeeeeehh don't take long to hit that magic ton :shock: :D

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
They are only a few years old, mechanic said still safe until they reach canvas, hairline like spider web...

Mercedes SL500 R231
A few years old since manufacture or in your possession?

micky.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 AMG Line Coupe 2015
The dealer I bought my car from a few months ago had put his own branded number plates on, but the rear plate rattles whenever I shut the boot, like a plastic school ruler being twanged. I took it off today and it was really dirty behind the plate. Fancy fitting a new plate and not giving the paintwork a quick wipe! Also, the dimwits had ignored the four purpose built MB holes, which have built in depth spacers, and drilled two new holes. These hadn’t been sealed, and the dealer hadn’t used rubber washers or other type of depth spacer. So the number plate is screwed tight against the body at the two edges, but raised by the four MB spacers in the middle. Also, the holes they’ve drilled in my car are closer together than the holes they made on the plate, causing the plate to bend even more in the middle. One of the holes in the body had a dimple round it, where they’d pressed too hard with the drill. And the screws which attach the plate to the car were all snagged up with visible blue cellophane protective material. How is it possible to make such a hash of a job this simple?

I’ve painted the drilled holes now so they don’t rust, and I’ll fettle or replace the plate this week to stop the rattle. I did think about getting a snazzy plate holder, but they look a bit over-engineered. I suspect if cars came out the factory with these, we’d all be spending our weekends removing them to give the rear end a cleaner look.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
The dealer I bought my car from a few months ago had put his own branded number plates on, but the rear plate rattles whenever I shut the boot, like a plastic school ruler being twanged. I took it off today and it was really dirty behind the plate. Fancy fitting a new plate and not giving the paintwork a quick wipe! Also, the dimwits had ignored the four purpose built MB holes, which have built in depth spacers, and drilled two new holes. These hadn’t been sealed, and the dealer hadn’t used rubber washers or other type of depth spacer. So the number plate is screwed tight against the body at the two edges, but raised by the four MB spacers in the middle. Also, the holes they’ve drilled in my car are closer together than the holes they made on the plate, causing the plate to bend even more in the middle. One of the holes in the body had a dimple round it, where they’d pressed too hard with the drill. And the screws which attach the plate to the car were all snagged up with visible blue cellophane protective material. How is it possible to make such a hash of a job this simple?

I’ve painted the drilled holes now so they don’t rust, and I’ll fettle or replace the plate this week to stop the rattle. I did think about getting a snazzy plate holder, but they look a bit over-engineered. I suspect if cars came out the factory with these, we’d all be spending our weekends removing them to give the rear end a cleaner look.

The other alternative is to stick them on with double sided tape Micky. Much neater and they sure don't rattle, and no oriible screw heads either. Here's how mine look. :)

index.php

micky.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 AMG Line Coupe 2015
The other alternative is to stick them on with double sided tape Micky. Much neater and they sure don't rattle, and no oriible screw heads either. Here's how mine look. :)

index.php
Yes, that’s definitely better, but my existing plate already has holes on both sides. It actually looks good, it’s clean and shiny etc. It just rattles. And doesn’t fit properly. But if I do buy a new plate I think I will definitely go for the tape option, yours looks great.

CrustyClam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML63 2007
Picked the wife's A250 up after a minor service. A couple of tyres had really small cuts in them to cords, another cracking on the inside. 5 years old so can't grumble.

4 new Michellin Pilot Sports being fitted tomorrow. A very decent online price with Kwik Fit, plus a discount code that saved me £67.

Corrosion on rear disks with a small lip as an amber flag - will get that addressed soon.

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
Hard wired a dash cam into the e350.

As a result of my recent unwanted interface with the pillock driving a Tadgar, sorry... Kadjar and the necessity of the sojourn to the bodyshop for repairs I have been looking into getting a dash cam fitted. Was it straight forward enough, indeed dare I say it, easy to do?

What dash cam did you pick?

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My son dragged me out of bed this morning to help him do a service on his Seat Leon FR+ Supercopa, so, while I had all the bits and bobs out to do it, I thought I might as well do my Coupé as well.

I've been getting the "service due in 20 days" etc for the last couple of days and I had bought the parts in preparation anyhoo, the sun was shining... you know the drill :p:p

IMG_4534.JPG

So, one oil filter, 8.5 litres of 229.51 spec oil and a new pollen filter later she had the service message reset and was then given a spruce up to restore her to her former beauty. :geek:

IMG_4541.JPG

Lovely... even if I do say so myself, lol. :D:D:D

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
As a result of my recent unwanted interface with the pillock driving a Tadgar, sorry... Kadjar and the necessity of the sojourn to the bodyshop for repairs I have been looking into getting a dash cam fitted. Was it straight forward enough, indeed dare I say it, easy to do?

What dash cam did you pick?
I got a NEXTBASE 512G GPS Dash Cam 1080p Full HD Car Video Recorder on ebay, took a Grade A refurb and found it as new with just the mounting looked as it had been taken from another kit but still new. Easy to install on the C class with an additional hard wire kit with a piggy back fuse for the cigar lighter fuse in the fuse box and a memory card. Been working since last November only thing I found is that the "sucker" for the camera mount can become unstuck in this very hot weather.
Oh, and the microphone picks up your "comments" about other "road users".

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Can be a bit of a burger that, :shock: a tad embarrassing when you hear yourself burst out with an expletive when the boss is reviewing your drive. :oops: :rolleyes:

How do you find the Nextbase unit?

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Can be a bit of a burger that, :shock: a tad embarrassing when you hear yourself burst out with an expletive when the boss is reviewing your drive. :oops: :rolleyes:

Seems to do all that I want and probably a lot more that I didn't investigate or understand, has GPS, good wide angle lens, not bad at night either. I just did a bit of looking around and that version at the time got good reviews. It fits behind the mirror and I don't really notice it except when I switch on the ignition it gives a BONG!!

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...

I had a Nextbase 312 in the C63 and found it very good.

Put a 512GW in the UnMerc, and it's also good, apart from...... They've tinkered with the shock sensor! Even in its most blunt setting, even a light breeze sets it off, resulting in the a 64Gb memory card full of locked files, and a battery drain on the car. It rendered the parking mode completely unusable, realistically (yes, you could activate if you're parked somewhere open to people or vehicles, but if that's normal parking it's not overly practical). Spoke to Nextbase, explained the issue, and was told it's by design and no plan to revert to previous calibration, nor capability to.

I went for the 512GW as I thought the wifi link to phone would be useful - it isn't. You have to switch off recording mode, then it takes a fair while to download anything once connected. Far quicker to whip the card out and bang it in laptop!

So, no problem with Nextbase per se, but I'd avoid the 512GW if the parking mode is something you'd use regularly!

Avnt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes c350 cdi estate amg
I got a NEXTBASE 512G GPS Dash Cam 1080p Full HD Car Video Recorder on ebay, took a Grade A refurb and found it as new with just the mounting looked as it had been taken from another kit but still new. Easy to install on the C class with an additional hard wire kit with a piggy back fuse for the cigar lighter fuse in the fuse box and a memory card. Been working since last November only thing I found is that the "sucker" for the camera mount can become unstuck in this very hot weather.

Thats why mine’s muted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Between us we have had 6 MB's over the last 20 years.
Today for the first time I changed the battery in one of the key remotes that had failed.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom