What Have You Done To Your Merc Today?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Brief: 95k miles 2012 CLS 350cdi BlueEfficiency Sport with AMG styling, de-badged and black wrapped, Airmatic semi-active suspension, with Active bolster and massage cream leather seats. I’m in love

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's some step up from a w203!

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 350cdi (C218) 2012 / OM642
That's some step up from a w203!

It certainly feels like it! After a few hours driving it I stepped back into the w203 and it was like stepping back in time. They are worlds apart, yet I can see many design choices that have lived on in the CLS C218 that were present in the w203.

When I got the C270cdi, I didn’t expect to like it half as much as I did, nor did I expect to get bitten by the Mercedes bug. I always used to see myself moving towards a BMW 530d or 535d, that quickly changed after I had tried the Mercedes marque, it took me totally by surprise! I am here to stay.

Snake Charmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E320 CDI 2004
I stayed late at work to jack the S211 rear end up and have a look for whatever is clonking over large bumps on the nearside. Nothing apparent suspension link wise and boy are there a lot of them! I know one of the exhaust hangers needs replacing, that is sat on my toolbox having rusted through but the clonk is not exhaust as it clears everything. A further coat of looking at will be required.
The propshaft heatshield was loose having rotted through at three of the mounting points so l fixed those in place with a couple of M5 penny washers. The left rear silencer heatshield has rotted through at the speed clip so I rearranged the edge and tucked it under the spare wheel well undertray. Quite why a spare wheel well needs an undertray I don't know but I do know it did not need the large stone that was wedged in between them.
I checked the spare wheel well and storage for anything that may be jumping around but elected not to move anything and see what difference the heatshields has made.
Before leaving, I checked the headlights against the workshop doors across the yard and blanked each one off to get a rough idea where the main beams with the new Billy Bolton TNB bulbs are pointing. Looks like the left one is not pointing in a beneficial direction to support the right but does seem to light up the headlining of oncoming vehicles who fail the main beam dipping courtesy test.
The trip home was a little quieter over bumps but as I expected the clonk, is still there.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Brief: 95k miles 2012 CLS 350cdi BlueEfficiency Sport with AMG styling, de-badged and black wrapped, Airmatic semi-active suspension, with Active bolster and massage cream leather seats. I’m in love

I do like the CLS :cool:

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I stayed late at work to jack the S211 rear end up and have a look for whatever is clonking over large bumps on the nearside. Nothing apparent suspension link wise and boy are there a lot of them! I know one of the exhaust hangers needs replacing, that is sat on my toolbox having rusted through but the clonk is not exhaust as it clears everything. A further coat of looking at will be required.
The propshaft heatshield was loose having rotted through at three of the mounting points so l fixed those in place with a couple of M5 penny washers. The left rear silencer heatshield has rotted through at the speed clip so I rearranged the edge and tucked it under the spare wheel well undertray. Quite why a spare wheel well needs an undertray I don't know but I do know it did not need the large stone that was wedged in between them.
I checked the spare wheel well and storage for anything that may be jumping around but elected not to move anything and see what difference the heatshields has made.
Before leaving, I checked the headlights against the workshop doors across the yard and blanked each one off to get a rough idea where the main beams with the new Billy Bolton TNB bulbs are pointing. Looks like the left one is not pointing in a beneficial direction to support the right but does seem to light up the headlining of oncoming vehicles who fail the main beam dipping courtesy test.
The trip home was a little quieter over bumps but as I expected the clonk, is still there.

Solid bit of Friday maintenance and checking! Good luck finding the clonk. Exhaust and hangers would normally be the go to. I had a clonk a while back and thought the same, wasn’t exhaust or spare wheel but turned out to be the jack in the jack carrier within the spare wheel. The top clip of the plastic was undone but not obviously so the jack would jump up, open the clip, come back down and then clonk and the plastic cover would re-close, leaving it completely not obvious what the cause was.

Snake Charmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E320 CDI 2004
Solid bit of Friday maintenance and checking! Good luck finding the clonk. Exhaust and hangers would normally be the go to. I had a clonk a while back and thought the same, wasn’t exhaust or spare wheel but turned out to be the jack in the jack carrier within the spare wheel. The top clip of the plastic was undone but not obviously so the jack would jump up, open the clip, come back down and then clonk and the plastic cover would re-close, leaving it completely not obvious what the cause was.

I might not find the noise without spending more than the car is worth, I effectively gave the car another lease of life by saving it from being scrapped. I will persevere with the noise as I really enjoy the car so much.
I spent some months chasing noises on a friends Jensen CV8, a buzzing noise in the passenger foot well was a hardened undersize oil cooler hose from a previous owner relocating the remote oil filter housing to the bulkhead. That repaired, I could hear the rear view mirror buzzing as the glass was loose, then the dash vibrating at the same frequency! His S1 Bentley had both of us taking turns at driving for the other to get under the dash to trace a ticking noise that varied with speed and seemed related to the mechanical tachometer. He found the noise to be the telescopic roof aerial being worn and waving around in the slipstream, the noise was definitely coming from the dash though!

Hotspur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
It certainly feels like it! After a few hours driving it I stepped back into the w203 and it was like stepping back in time. They are worlds apart, yet I can see many design choices that have lived on in the CLS C218 that were present in the w203.

When I got the C270cdi, I didn’t expect to like it half as much as I did, nor did I expect to get bitten by the Mercedes bug. I always used to see myself moving towards a BMW 530d or 535d, that quickly changed after I had tried the Mercedes marque, it took me totally by surprise! I am here to stay.

Why compromise - get both a Benz and a BMW - or even better multiple thereof...makes the everyday choice of which car to take quite fun...

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Why compromise - get both a Benz and a BMW - or even better multiple thereof...makes the everyday choice of which car to take quite fun...

I will certainly revisit that idea one day when I have a house with drive-in/drive-out gates and 6+car garage ;)

If the weather is good enough today I will do my first proper exploration and check on the CLS: check fluids, check discs + pads, whip out the filters for inspection,take off engine cover and have a poke around. Tomorrow may be a quick foam cannon, cleanse and rinse.

Still trying to get used to the airmatic sounds lol

Rick Pickle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C 220 W203 2003, Vaneo W414 2003
Today I ordered new HP Fuel hoses and fuel filter for the W203. Im trying to solve a starting problem.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Today I ordered new HP Fuel hoses and fuel filter for the W203. Im trying to solve a starting problem.
Hello and welcome

if you’re wanting technical advice, please start a new thread in one of relevant sections :)

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Which engine and what is the starting issue? When I last bought those HP fuel hoses from MB I think they cost me £27 with the green o-rings on.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I will certainly revisit that idea one day when I have a house with drive-in/drive-out gates and 6+car garage ;)

If the weather is good enough today I will do my first proper exploration and check on the CLS: check fluids, check discs + pads, whip out the filters for inspection,take off engine cover and have a poke around. Tomorrow may be a quick foam cannon, cleanse and rinse.

I thought we were holding out for an S class buddy ;) . I guess it’s just me now .

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I thought we were holding out for an S class buddy ;) . I guess it’s just me now .

Wighty, yes I was looking at the S-Class, test drove a few but the CLS won me over on looks, especially one which had a bit of S-Class tech thrown in. How goes your search? Or are you tempted by the EQS?

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just noticed I’m nearing 6000 miles since my last oil and filter change on the E class :shock:

What is your poison this time? In the C-Class I think I was using Castrol Edge 5W-30 M.

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350

What Airmatic sounds? I don't have any noise at all from it even raising or lowering it.

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What Airmatic sounds? I don't have any noise at all from it even raising or lowering it.

Raising and lowering no sound at all, also while driving no sounds, only when parked and after locking. I will have to pay more attention. Could be levelling as I have a gravel driveway which is not level all over.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Wighty, yes I was looking at the S-Class, test drove a few but the CLS won me over on looks, especially one which had a bit of S-Class tech thrown in. How goes your search? Or are you tempted by the EQS?

Only dreams at the moment of an S500 , but the house redecorating being overseen by Mrs W in the form of a new patio , garden makeover , hall redecorating followed by new downstairs toilet project is diverting funds :confused:

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom