what to look for in buying a E320 Estate 2005\6

stevenN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI W210 2002
I am constantly fighting myself trying to decide what to do about changing my car.

My E220 W210 saloon has done well but is looking shabby.
I have parts to put on and paint to touch up but still its done over 200k and I'm waiting for the next big bill that will take it off the road.

I like the thought of an estate model as we have a caravan.
An estate will enable me to get rid of our old tow car as well.
Plus it would be easier to cart the dog around, not dirtying the back seats. I'm guessing the budget would be up to 5k if I get a trade in on the E220

I have read the horror stories from owners about the Brake pump problems and also suspension issues.

How do I go about buying a suitable car with all these issues addressed? Or how do I check that I'm not buying a heap load of trouble?

Ta

Steve

Last edited:

Troon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A big one
I'd get a post-facelift E220CDI (in fact, I did!) rather than a late pre E320CDI. Cheaper to run, no SBC, 170PS & 400Nm, none of the alleged issues with early V6 and 7G.

£5k might not go that far though.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
As above the facelift seems to have addressed a number of problems there are plenty of posts on here about it.
Budget perhaps a couple of thousand more if possible.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Shameless post on my behalf my car may be coming up for sale soon, possibly going for a company mondeo, need to find out how much the gear box problem would be to fix but apart from that it's a strong car and less than your budget. Just a thought :)

PovertySpec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi 07/57
As above the facelift seems to have addressed a number of problems there are plenty of posts on here about it.
Budget perhaps a couple of thousand more if possible.

Good advice from both, especially budgeting another couple of thousand. You can choose how to put the extra 2k in.

On the screen price and have little or no work to do or post purchase, doing all the work that he last lazy owner didn't do.

OP
S

stevenN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI W210 2002
Unless my lottery numbers came up I couldn't justify the extra 2k.
As much as it pulls at the heart strings I could get a younger Mondeo with similar spec and less miles.
I know the engine would be smaller but the MPG better.

I suppose I could look at things a different way
My current car iirc cost 3.5k and in its current condition only worth £500.
If I do the work that needs doing, wings, rust, exhaust etc it may be worth 1k as a trade in
As Ive owned the car 3 years it will have lost £800\1000 per year.
A 2007 car costs about £8k a 2004 car about £5k so the depreciation is about the same
A 2006 car is about a grand cheaper but the potential for a big bill on the way is greater.
On saying that Ive had a few big bills on the W210

What to do?

Nothing until Ive tarted her up!

Top Bottom