Where is dipped beam fuse?

chris newth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 115 2008
Hi

I have a 2008 Vito 115. For some reason both dipped beam lights have stopped working, so I want to check the fuse. I've looked in the manual and online, but I'm not sure which fuse (and/or relay) to check. Please could someone help.

Also, has anyone got any other ideas what might cause this. I've tried a different bulb, but it's not that. Many Thanks.

OP
C

chris newth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 115 2008
Update: I contacted a garage and they told me there isn't a fuse or relay. The power comes straight from the SAM unit, so that would need to be changed if the fault was there. Hoping it might be something else though, but thought I'd update this thread in case it might be useful to others in the future.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
There will still be a fuse somewhere, if no-one can help with a fuse chart just start checking all the fuses you can find, have you looked in all your fusebox locations for a chart or in your document wallet or around your batteries, there should be one somewhere?

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
1st check the part number of this fuse board matches, 2 types were used but I would be surprised it was t'other.

The SAM is replaceable w/o any coding needed. Just be sure the part number matches if / when buying off eBay. If an eBay purchase solves the problem but introduces another then that's faulty also. I've been there.
When removing the SAM be cautious one plug in particular is easily broken, it feeds the fuse enclosure fan.

Attachments

• 639 Fuse Board.jpg
    639 Fuse Board.jpg
    814.1 KB · Views: 12
OP
C

chris newth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 115 2008
1st check the part number of this fuse board matches, 2 types were used but I would be surprised it was t'other.

The SAM is replaceable w/o any coding needed. Just be sure the part number matches if / when buying off eBay. If an eBay purchase solves the problem but introduces another then that's faulty also. I've been there.
When removing the SAM be cautious one plug in particular is easily broken, it feeds the fuse enclosure fan.
Many Thanks for this info / advice. Chris.

OP
C

chris newth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 115 2008
There will still be a fuse somewhere, if no-one can help with a fuse chart just start checking all the fuses you can find, have you looked in all your fusebox locations for a chart or in your document wallet or around your batteries, there should be one somewhere?
Thanks. Yes, I guess it's worth checking every fuse, just in case. I still can't find a fuse for headlights on any diagram though. Strange!!

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Have a look at the PSM (Programmable Special Module) fuses 3 and 4 in the fusebox under the driver's seat, both are rated at 25A

Reactions: M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Does your main beam operate ok when you push the stalk?

Aside from the stalk being faulty I can only imagine your SAM is faulty. If you're very lucky a battery disconnect for some minutes might reset it if it has become confused. But really that's a why not hope.

The SAM's are finicky on these, especially if water has got into the fuse enclosure, fairly common as the enclosure can distort leaving ingress possible. It doesn't take much of a blockage in the drains and ill fitted foam at the top of the channels for water from the screen to find its way there.

For me having a 2nd SAM, even with known faults, is very worth while for diagnosis. Swap it and if the problem disappears but you now introduce any known fault on the 2nd SAM you know the SAM is the culprit.

Fairly likely your SAM is a A639 545 03 01, but not guaranteed. So removal of the SAM and reading its number is the only way. On eBay they're around £100, if it's faulty they get it back. If you cure your fault your existing SAM becomes your diagnosis 2nd for the future.

OP
C

chris newth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 115 2008
Does your main beam operate ok when you push the stalk?

Aside from the stalk being faulty I can only imagine your SAM is faulty. If you're very lucky a battery disconnect for some minutes might reset it if it has become confused. But really that's a why not hope.

The SAM's are finicky on these, especially if water has got into the fuse enclosure, fairly common as the enclosure can distort leaving ingress possible. It doesn't take much of a blockage in the drains and ill fitted foam at the top of the channels for water from the screen to find its way there.

For me having a 2nd SAM, even with known faults, is very worth while for diagnosis. Swap it and if the problem disappears but you now introduce any known fault on the 2nd SAM you know the SAM is the culprit.

Fairly likely your SAM is a A639 545 03 01, but not guaranteed. So removal of the SAM and reading its number is the only way. On eBay they're around £100, if it's faulty they get it back. If you cure your fault your existing SAM becomes your diagnosis 2nd for the future.
Yes, main beam operates. Side lights and fog lights also good.

OP
C

chris newth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 115 2008
Latest update: Have checked all fuses, including those under passenger seat (next to battery). All ok. Have disconnected battery and re-connected to see if that reset the SAM. Didn't make any difference. Have re-checked power at lamp socket. Still no 12V. So, it seems that SAM replacement is needed. Unless any one has any other ideas!!! Also, could someone please confirm that no re-programming is required for the SAM if I buy a new one (Vito 115, 2008). Thanks.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
It does need coding to the car for all features to work as expected but most will be fine as plug and play

OP
C

chris newth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 115 2008
It does need coding to the car for all features to work as expected but most will be fine as plug and play
Thanks. Any ideas what sort of features may not work if I just 'plug and play'?

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

No coding required,
I've bought and changed a few 2nd hand.
I replaced one on a Viano with pretty much every option, it didn't have auto light and wipers. All worked no issues.
The only problem is if the replacement is faulty, but that would be easily apparent, unless it has the same fault as the one you're trying to cure.

But you could always go to Mercedes and they would take care of this for you.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
No coding required,
I've bought and changed a few 2nd hand.
I replaced one on a Viano with pretty much every option, it didn't have auto light and wipers. All worked no issues.
The only problem is if the replacement is faulty, but that would be easily apparent, unless it has the same fault as the one you're trying to cure.

But you could always go to Mercedes and they would take care of this for you.
Thanks wasn’t sure on the Vito, I’ve had to replace a couple of rear sams before on my cars and always needed coding to enable all features, as I say most would be plug and play from a second hand unit but some won’t until recoding,

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom