Where to sell my E55?

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55 AMG (2004)
Hi folks,

I've had an ad up on Autotrader for my 2004 E55 AMG for a few weeks now and it's generated nothing but scammers. The first two wanted to rock up with cash, which I turned down, then the third who did actually turn up to view the car tried the smoking engine scam on me. Unfortunately I only caught on once they'd tampered with it and it started smoking, so now I've got yet another impending garage bill incoming to fix it :(

I didn't realise trying to sell a car privately was going to be such a nightmare.

So, where's a good place to sell the car for a reasonable price? WeBuyAnyCar and the like won't touch it due to its age/rarity.

Thanks!

OP
midenginedcoupe
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55 AMG (2004)
OP
midenginedcoupe
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55 AMG (2004)
Try on here
Sorry, I'm new to the forum and wanted to check out the ettiquete first before just spamming my ad. Is there a classifieds section hiding somewhere?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Sorry, I'm new to the forum and wanted to check out the ettiquete first before just spamming my ad. Is there a classifieds section hiding somewhere?

Only issue with posting a Mercedes for sale on a Mercedes forum is that almost everyone on the forum already has one and almost all of them came because of issues with their Mercedes...

I always think it best to post on a BM or Audi forum to show them the error their ways... :p

OP
midenginedcoupe
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55 AMG (2004)

Only issue with posting a Mercedes for sale on a Mercedes forum is that almost everyone on the forum already has one and almost all of them came because of issues with their Mercedes...

I always think it best to post on a BM or Audi forum to show them the error their ways... :p
Ah, but maybe somone fancies an upgrade :)

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately it just says "You have insufficient privileges to post threads here." So I guess I need a bit more posting history/karma first?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately it just says "You have insufficient privileges to post threads here." So I guess I need a bit more posting history/karma first?
It is mostly likely a time limit - have to be here a month first

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG

Basically making the engine and exhaust billow smoke, then scare the seller into letting it go for a vastly reduced fee. Now becuase of those arseholes I get to pay to have the coolant flushed before I can drive it again.

I don't get that. Surely putting engine oil in the coolant is just going to put oil in the coolant. It won't make it smoke. Oil up the exhaust might conceivably make it smoke, but the tail pipe would have to get b*** hot.

BPD07

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w208 CLK ragtop, r230 SL350
Hi folks,

I've had an ad up on Autotrader for my 2004 E55 AMG for a few weeks now and it's generated nothing but scammers. The first two wanted to rock up with cash, which I turned down, then the third who did actually turn up to view the car tried the smoking engine scam on me. Unfortunately I only caught on once they'd tampered with it and it started smoking, so now I've got yet another impending garage bill incoming to fix it :(

I didn't realise trying to sell a car privately was going to be such a nightmare.

So, where's a good place to sell the car for a reasonable price? WeBuyAnyCar and the like won't touch it due to its age/rarity.

Thanks!
Car and Classic is a good place, but it can be slow on a modern classic. I sold my last AMG via Autotrader but the Mike Brewer wannabes are a real pain to manage. Facebook Marketplace is also good to get the car out but the chancers are also scanning that looking for a quick flip.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I don't get that. Surely putting engine oil in the coolant is just going to put oil in the coolant. It won't make it smoke. Oil up the exhaust might conceivably make it smoke, but the tail pipe would have to get b*** hot.
Yep , they also squirt some oil into the exhaust pipe when you aren’t looking . As well as adding some oil to the coolant .
I often think it’s worth telling viewers that they are being filmed just in case to avoid this scam and have them arrested for criminal damage . .

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009

You can just add a picture of the car in the “ What have you done to your MB today” saying I’ve just cleaned it , look how good it looks , I’m thinking of selling it , blah blah ;)

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
We sold two Porsches on Facebook Marketplace in the 18 months before the pandemic. Both sales were very quick and painless.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
If and when I sell mine, not that it's sort after, I would watch them like a hawk, with utility bar close by. I've heard of scammers trying things with cheap cars let alone AMG's.

Cleck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EQC 400
I've just sold a VW Up! on motorway.co.uk and got £1500 more than WBAC offered, easy and painless with no 'punters' coming to the house kicking the tires and trying it on. I'm not saying it's the most lucrative way to sell, but it was painless and I was happy with what I got. It was a 2012, but I'm not sure what they're like for older/higher mileage cars as it's only dealers who can bid on it on Motorway.

OP
midenginedcoupe
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55 AMG (2004)
I've just sold a VW Up! on motorway.co.uk and got £1500 more than WBAC offered, easy and painless with no 'punters' coming to the house kicking the tires and trying it on. I'm not saying it's the most lucrative way to sell, but it was painless and I was happy with what I got. It was a 2012, but I'm not sure what they're like for older/higher mileage cars as it's only dealers who can bid on it on Motorway.
They won't touch it. The mileage is too high, apparently.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Is it worth dropping the price and making this more attractive to buyers? Are some put of by the higher running costs and future repair bills?

Snake Charmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E320 CDI 2004
I had a look on Autotrader, is it the black or silver one? I want the estate now......:eek:

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom