Where to sell my E55?

OP
midenginedcoupe
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55 AMG (2004)
Doh! :) Any idea what the muppets did to make it smoke?
Oil or coolant splashed over the engine to make it smoke when hot, oil in the coolant tank to make it look like the head gasket had gone, and oil up the exhaust tips to make them smoke when hot, too.

I've just got it back from the garage where they did 3 coolant flushes and an oil change just to make sure nothing nasty was left behind. That's a bill I really didn't fancy paying :mad:

And I heard back from the police. All I had to give them was the phone number used to contact me, but turns out that was a burner number so they've nothing to go on. I'm pleasantly surprised the police did that much to be honest, and they've logged the details in case they get another report form someone else to tie it back to. Lesson learnt for next time - I'll be taking copies of id before even starting a viewing.

I'm now trying Facebook Marketplace and getting the same timewasters all over again. People can be dicks.

Snake Charmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E320 CDI 2004
I'm now trying Facebook Marketplace and getting the same timewasters all over again. People can be dicks.
I can think of a few choice words for the guys who did that to your car.

Unfortunately the days of placing an advert and having genuine buyers phone and turn up seem to be long gone. Marketplace will drive you mad, I have tried to buy a few items, pulling teeth can be easier and has put me off selling. I tried Shpock for a while, buying and selling was pretty much the same as Marketplace. Ebay over the years seems to have given every buyer the right to have your item for nothing or demand a refund if they want and that has transferred to other platforms and even the good old small ads in local papers. The something for nothing brigade are here to stay thanks to the mobile phone and Internet!

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
>>>Only issue with posting a Mercedes for sale on a Mercedes forum is that almost everyone on the forum already has one and almost all of them came because of issues with their Mercedes...

Yes and typical of car forums we all value our current cars at top money yet only want to pay ten bob for the next one.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
>>>Only issue with posting a Mercedes for sale on a Mercedes forum is that almost everyone on the forum already has one and almost all of them came because of issues with their Mercedes...

Yes and typical of car forums we all value our current cars at top money yet only want to pay ten bob for the next one.
I’m not lining their pockets! :shock: Tuppence ha’penny is my max offer…;):rolleyes:

OP
midenginedcoupe
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55 AMG (2004)
Latest one is people phone up, just ask about the price, then immediately offer to pay with Venmo. With which they can reverse the payment after its made. They're not even subtle about trying it on :(

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Hi folks,

I've had an ad up on Autotrader for my 2004 E55 AMG for a few weeks now and it's generated nothing but scammers. The first two wanted to rock up with cash, which I turned down,

Why ? Cash is nice. Maybe do it at your bank, if you're worried. I've taken cash for many a car with no problems.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Someone is looking for an E55 on the other forum

With respect, the price is too high for a 160k mile E55.
I sold my 120k mile 04 model 3 years ago for £8k+
Prices have firmed up but not for one with that many miles
Sorry, being realistic.

OP
midenginedcoupe
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55 AMG (2004)
Someone is looking for an E55 on the other forum

With respect, the price is too high for a 160k mile E55.
I sold my 120k mile 04 model 3 years ago for £8k+
Prices have firmed up but not for one with that many miles
Sorry, being realistic.
Ah, thanks for the link. Much appreciated. Unfortunately I'm too new to that forum to either reply or message him direct :(

Also, I'm realistic about the price and will drop it if needs be. It's still the 2nd cheapest on AutoTrader

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Why ? Cash is nice. Maybe do it at your bank, if you're worried. I've taken cash for many a car with no problems.
Struggling to think of an occasion where I would prefer a large amount of cash or bank transfer, I suppose you cannot pay the local drug dealer with a bank transfer!
Maybe at some point cash will be unavailable. Even market traders and festivals are taking cashless payments. Too much of a pain to bank it seeing that a lot of high street banks are closing.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Struggling to think of an occasion where I would prefer a large amount of cash or bank transfer, I suppose you cannot pay the local drug dealer with a bank transfer!
Maybe at some point cash will be unavailable. Even market traders and festivals are taking cashless payments. Too much of a pain to bank it seeing that a lot of high street banks are closing.
Yes I would prefer bank transfer, but I wouldn’t pass up a sale because the buyer is offering cash. It’s all money, after all.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes I would prefer bank transfer, but I wouldn’t pass up a sale because the buyer is offering cash. It’s all money, after all.
Good point, I would have to ask my wife to count is as worked for a bank, plus she's better off at spotting dodgy notes.

OP
midenginedcoupe
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55 AMG (2004)
Sure, for a couple of grand. But ~10k? Who on earth has a legit reason for wanting to hand over 10k in notes?

OP
midenginedcoupe
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55 AMG (2004)
Someone without a bank account ?

It’s not illegal to use cash, as far as I know.
Of course not. But on the balance of probabilities it doesn't smell right.

Sure, someone may have a preference to pay in that much cash. But to walk away from a potential purchase? I stand by the balance of probabilities that the reason isn't a legit one.

BPD07

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w208 CLK ragtop, r230 SL350
A builder bought a car off me for £6k all in cash. We counted it twice before I signed the receipt and he drove off. Deposited it the next day and it was £20 over.

Reactions: DSK

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A builder bought a car off me for £6k all in cash. We counted it twice before I signed the receipt and he drove off. Deposited it the next day and it was £20 over.
I wonder why a builder used cash

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom