Windscreen wiper.

tractorboy

Reaction score
My 97 c180 classic's windscreen wiper has started to slow down when in center of window as if it is going to stop, this is when driving and when there is rain on the windscreen, it happens on all settings og the arm.
Does anyone have any idea's what could be wrong?

OP
T

tractorboy

Reaction score
Thankyou!!!

It has worked and thankyou for such a fast reply and the detailed diagrams,
Many many thanks it works like new now, I thought I was having to buy a new wiper motor, phew.

Again many thanks.

philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000
Many many thanks it works like new now, I thought I was having to buy a new wiper motor, phew.

Again many thanks.

Hi tractorboy

You were very fortunate to have raised this issue when you did and receive a prompt reply because failure of the wiper subsystem can lead to horrendous repair costs sometimes exceeding GBP700.00 if undertaken by an MB dealership. A new MB wiper motor costs over GBP300.00 and it's likely a dealership will replace the wiper arm assembly and drive coupling too, thereby more than doubling the bill.

When the wiper 'appears' to drag across the windscreen its almost certainly indicative of the wiper mechanism needing regreasing. If ignored, the increasing friction generated by the mechanism will put a heavy load on the wiper motor and, in particular, its gearbox, which these days is made from nylon for quietness. The resullt ... stripped teeth and no wiping.

It is absolutely essential the wiper mechanism beneath the 'turtle shell' is inspected and regreased at least every other service to prevent a very expensive repair should the wiper appear to 'drag' again.

C220GJS's timely advice should be heeded by all owners of single-wiper Mercedes cars.

REGARDS

Phil

C220GJS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W202 C220 Elegance

Again many thanks.
This is why this forum is here, to enhance the enjoyment of our cars and allow us to pass on useful tips and advice to fellow members of the MB community.Glad it worked for you.

Last edited:

SL320Newboy

Reaction score
wiper madness

A big thank you from me as well:razz:. My wiper would only work on the fast setting - the normal mode only worked when it felt like it and the intermittant mode and screen wash were totally AWOL:(. I just lubricated the mechanism as suggested (except I used PTFE spray instead of grease) and it all works fine. I'll pop down the motor factors shop later and buy some grease to do it properly tomorrow.

cheers.

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
i'm making this a sticky, as it's such a common question

cheers
anyweb

SL320Newboy

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I did the full lubrication job with lithium grease (after the PTFE quick fix) but the problem has come back.

Should I now strip down the whole thing and lubricate the motor and gear box?

I think it may be an electrical control problem (god knows I've had some electrical problems recently - see my other posts for tales of main dealer incompetence on that one) as when the wiper is set to intermittant or standard wipe it doesn't work - but fast wipe works fine. When I switch from fast wipe to standard wipe the wiper stops for a few seconds where ever it is on the screen and then returns to the rest position. If I stop the wiper (from fast wipe) on the far left of the screen (opposite the rest position) it will drop into standard wipe mode and continue working.

I'm confused!!

kenwood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 320, W124 300CE, W201 2.5D
wiper lube

Hi all, my solution for the pre plastic covers ie aluminium was to drill a small hole in the base of the cover just big enough to allow the straw of a white grease aerosol to pass through. Bish bash bosh. Job done.

hairyg

Reaction score
Website
www.vegetarian-and-low-calorie-recipes.com
Your Mercedes
R129 (1994) SL320
I had a similar problem on my P reg C class a few years back and my local MB dealer in Worcester fixed it as described in this thread and didn't charge me a penny:D

They have since been taken over By Mercedes:-x

W124-300TE-1989

Reaction score
Thank you, George! I had found that after a bit of searching around - and it made my heart sink... My garage had said it was complicated but I wasn't convinced till I read that! Thankfully, just greasing the wiper arm means the wiper works ok but I want to be preventative and grease the innards before it gets clunky. A bank holiday weekend project, I think!

Gkilpat

Reaction score
Wiper trouble

Hi Folks

I have an issue with my wiper on 99 T reg c 180 , when activated it sweeps once across fully then sticks in the middle. i have wd40 the arm and moving parts but not sure if I need to replace motor gearing or both can any one help.

PS previous post have been very helpful to get me to this stage to understand the components as I am mechanically challenged.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hi Folks

I have an issue with my wiper on 99 T reg c 180 , when activated it sweeps once across fully then sticks in the middle. i have wd40 the arm and moving parts but not sure if I need to replace motor gearing or both can any one help.

PS previous post have been very helpful to get me to this stage to understand the components as I am mechanically challenged.

Hello and welcome to the MB forum:D
Does the blade ever park in the correct place

Gkilpat

Reaction score
the blade has a full sweep to the left and then comes to rest in the centre on the return Journey, if you switch of the wipers and manually shift the blade it will rest in its original setting

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
the blade has a full sweep to the left and then comes to rest in the centre on the return Journey, if you switch of the wipers and manually shift the blade it will rest in its original setting

If you have lubricated the guide rails under the turtle shell cover as per this How To and the problem still persists then the most likely explanation for the fault is that a number of the nylon gear teeth in the motor gearbox have been striped by the worm drive.

In your case, the damaged teeth will be located at the 3 o’clock position on the nylon gear as you look at the picture. Your assistance of moving the wiper arm by hand is moving the nylon gear on to undamaged teeth and so the blade continues on its way until the gear returns to the upright position again on the return sweep and so the fault repeats itself.

To investigate you will need to open the motor gear box as in picture, it will not be necessary to remove the motor or mechanism from the car, make sure the keys are out of ignition when you open the gear box.

There is nothing that needs to be lubricated on the rear of the main mechanism EXEPT the ball joint, the ball joint can be lubricated without removing the motor and mechanism provided the wiper blade is purposely parked at the opposite side of the screen on passenger side, to do this run the wiper and turn off at the key when the blade is at bottom of passenger side, KEEP IGNITION KEYS IN YOUR POCKET when working on the mechanism.

See also… http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=37082&page=2

Dec

Gkilpat

Reaction score
thank you all I will not get a chance to investigate this further until monday and will post a reply on the outcome once again many thanks for the advice so far

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom