Windscreen wiper.

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Hi Taree, your picture is of the wiper arm hub, no access to the motor that way, the wiper motor is located under the windscreen plastic trim, the trim will have to be removed to gain access to the mechanism/motor which is then removed in one piece, see… http://members.multimania.nl/mbenz/windshield_wiper.htm

Can I ask what the fault is and can you describe the symptoms?

Dec

taree

Reaction score
Hello Dec, the problem started with the wiper arm struggling to wipe across the screen (jamming around the vertical position) & then not parking. I also noticed a 'burning smell' but didn't realise that it was actually coming from the wiper motor until the wiper completely jammed so I thought that the motor had burned out. Thankfully that doesn't appear to be the case coz when I switch the wiper on, the arm (which is at rest just before the parked position) completes the move to the parked position, makes one full sweep to the left (passenger side) but then only makes it back to about the vertical pos'n before jamming again (I can hear the motor humming at this stage). On switching off I can manually force the arm to complete its travel back, but not to the final parked pos'n.
So correct me if I'm wrong but I think the 'cogs & wheels' in the wiper mechanism are damaged because alas I did not discover that the assembly required regular greasing untill too late, in which case, the question is how do I make the necessary repairs ?

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
That all sounds like the nylon gear in the motor gearbox is stripped, not entirely around the circumference of the gear but in the areas that correspond to where the blade is stopping on the screen.

Remove the trim, see in my previous link, you will see the mechanism with the motor attached to it, remove the 7 or 8? bolts on the motor gearbox, lever the cover off and inspect the gear and worm drive for signs of damage, if there is any damage to the nylon gear teeth or worm drive you will need to replace the motor…about £70ish.

If there is no damage to the nylon gear…last picture… then there will be a loose nut on the rear of the mechanism in which case the motor and mechanism will need to be removed from the car.

Your motor will not be exactly like the one below but very simelar.

Dec

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

taree

Reaction score
Hiya Dec, I'd like to thank you for your advice so far. I finally got round to doing the job of removing the wiper motor today (nice weather for it !). The clips to take off the plastic trim under the air intake covers were a bit of a struggle - well the two in the middle definitely were :-(
Before removing it however I took off the gearbox cover & moved the wiper manually & could see that the worm drive did not move after reaching a certain point; I could also see plastic shavings where the nylon gear teeth had shorn away. Does the motor & gearbox come as a single unit, or is the gearbox available on its own. Either way could you suggest best place to source these items please ?

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
No its all one piece as in first picture in post # 63, can’t be fixed so a replacement is the only option.

Not too well up on the best place to buy but I seem to remember someone giving a 3? months guaranteed with various parts, there is Rob Parker, member on here, Euro Parts?, Ebay, or others may be able to recommend somewhere.

Ensure that you have obtained the correct wiper motor for your car, there are several versions and not all are interchangeable due to differing motor connection plugs. Copy the part number on the old motor for refrence and you could also Google the part number.

There is a correct procedure to fitting a replacement wiper motor and making adjustments to the park position of the wiper BLADE and is as follows;

When a new motor is fitted you must ensure that it is in its PARK position, procede as follows;

Before fitting the new motor, hold it in one hand, unplug the old motor and plug the new motor into the socket;

= turn on the wiper and let the motor run for a few seconds. MIND YOUR FINGERS!
= after a few seconds turn the wiper off AT THE STALK SWITCH.
= wait a few seconds for the wiper motor, in your hand, to finish its cycle and come to a stop.
= remove keys from ignition and keep them in your pocket while working on the mechanism.
= unplug the new motor. The wiper MOTOR is now parked.

= remove the mechanism/motor from the car in one piece, 4 bolts.
= remove Nut 2 and lever off the motor arm, picture B below.
= remove the old motor via its 3 bolts.
= fit the new motor via its 3 bolts.
= lever off the ball joint, grease it and reunite it by forcing the cup back on to the ball.
= undo Nut 1 about 4 turns, picture C, this will free up the wiper arm hub.
= fit the motor arm to the new motor at Nut 2, picture B below, ensuring its edge is in line with the V mark on the mechanism casing while Nut 2 is being tightened up.
= realign the wiper arm hub and tighten Nut 1 when the 2 lines are aligned, as in picture C below.
= ensure both Nuts 1 and 2 are tightened up properly.
= the rear of the mechanism and both sets of alignment marks should now look like what is in picture A below.
= refit to car and test.

Dec

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I believe the connection plug for your particular wiper motor is located close to number 2 in the picture below.

N101.jpg

Last edited:

Kompressor

Reaction score
Yes this forum is the best on the net. I have also bought two wiper arms and cross bracket "thingy" that the wipers arms are bolted down onto because both arms aren't wiping my screen properly so in order to get a new spring with enough down pressure, I need bothe new wiper arms. The bracket "thingy" because I screwed the bolt too tight and snapped it clean off so new bracket was needed.

Come to think of it I have three guides with pictures to make and hopefully make it a sticky guide on here.

1: Changing my brake shoes and pads
2: Changing my wiper arms and bracket
3: Changing my headplamp unit - passenger side

I already got the MB parts for all the above and just have to systemacially do one job at a time. Brakes first :)

Kompressor

Reaction score
Hi all I've been reading the threads here and looks as though I have to get to the mechanasim but I can't fathom how to actually remove the wiper motor from my 1999 c240.
I've att'd a pic & you can see that there aren't any securing bolts as such -there only seems to be one 'centre' screw but I think this needs a special tool to open it.
Can anyone shed any light on this plse ?

Look at the this youtube link. It shows the wiper motor situated beside the wiper arm mechanism. The motor is not located in the arm mechanism.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w6g2TMZCGE

Also see other links on the side of the above youtube link

Last edited:

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
That’s the idea, the more Guides we have the better, pictures are invaluable, the explain every thing much better than words alone.

Dec

Kompressor

Reaction score
Your right Dec.

This link is a nice video clip on how to do your wiper servicing properly. Ok it's a more modern merc but the principle is the same in how to carefully open and apply the grease to the wiper mechanism.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCVhpeDLUHY&NR=1

This shows a squeky mechanism in need of lubricant and how it's silenced with some grease;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkL5iG3n1SI&feature=related

This clip gives you a very good view of what is happening when your wiper is at work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94rCjXDV3BE&feature=related

Last edited:

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
The are very good examples, says it all without saying a thing. Thanks for that, very useful.

Dec

noodlz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c240 sport auto
seems to me that mb have a fair few problems with wipers. mine cost 300 to fix

rgwm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 1996
I've read this thread with interest, but it doesn't seem to answer my issue completely....I've just acquired a 96 C180 Elegance auto, at a good price, and as it was out of MOT took it for test immediately - which I'm pleased to say it passed - although the wiper only works on the fast speed - not sure whether it should have passed like this, but I'm not complaining.....

So - wiper doesn't operate on any setting other than fast speed - where it whizzes back and forth no problem, but as soon as I move the switch from the fast setting the wiper stops wherever it is.......It's liveable with, but obviously not ideal.

I'm used to Alfas, and when they suffer a similar fault its a failure of the electronics internal to the wiper motor....is the Merc the same, or is it likely to be a relay or switch issue? Any help greatly appreciated........

Richard

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
When you press the end of the stalk inwards the washer jets should spray the windscreen and the wiper blade should sweep the screen 3 times… does it?

I think you might have two faults going on at the same time;

1… the N10 relay, its function is to bring the wiper blade back to its park position at the bottom of the windscreen on driver’s side when the wipers are turned off in mid-sweep… yours just stops dead when you turn off, HOWEVER it plays no part in the speed setting 2 (slow/normal speed) Worth checking this out first as it’s the easiest to get at.
See, N10 relay… http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=62702

2… the stalk switch itself, if it’s faulty it would have to be replaced or possibly a wiring fault to or inside the wiper motor.

You could remove the end of the stalk and inspect the wiper switch, see picture below and look for signs of burning, see here… http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=38617

attachment.php

Investigate the N10 relay and the stalk wiper switch first as the are the easiest to get at.

Also lubricate the mechanism ASAP even if it’s only a drop of oil from the dipstick if you don’t have any grease to hand, see … http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCVhpeDLUHY&NR=1

Dec

rgwm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 1996
Thanks for the quick reply.....so two issues :(

When I press the end of the stalk the washers operate, but the wipers don't sweep.....

I'll try the N10 relay - as pictured earlier in the thread, then look into the switch.

I'll let you know how it goes......I'm sure I'll have plenty of opportunities to use the wipers over the next few days.....;)

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Not saying its two issues Richard, but it could be, you will know more when you have had a look.

Dec

ChrisHeg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
500SL 1986 5litre CLK 320 2001 Avantgarde
109 series 500 SL

Help needed.
I am new to the forums. My wipers have seized on my 1986 500 SL.:( The wipers have got progressivley slower and have now stopped working altogether. Initially the intermittent wipe went then the slow wipe and on fast the wipers were slow and juddered. The motor is free and works well but the linkage has seized. How can one access the linkage does the dashboard have to come out?
help and advice greatly appreciated Chris.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom