General Election...June 8

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
That would be a fantastic way of really killing of Mayhem, just checking the date..oopps its not April 1st, is this Metro another redtop rag
They should get Baldrick on board. He has a cunning plan...

PovertySpec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi 07/57
Had a thought today.

Remember the Conservative leadership election last year between Boris and Gove?

The drama and the back-stabbing? The along comes May to save the day?

Do you think she was a put up job to cut through the enmity?

And if so are the Conservatives now regretting that?

When everyone, and I mean everyone except Psychic Bob, thought she was keeping herself busy with Brexit stuff it turns out that loads of MPs haven't even had a chat with her since she was 'elected' as leader.

I watched the last few weeks in the run up to the election from behind the sofa like it was a weird political episode of Dr Who. One grenade after the other. When she lobbed one at pensioners with a couple of weeks to go I thought they'd blown it.

Then Corbyn offers free education to students, including those starting this year and the not so subtle bribe/hint that he would write off existing student debt I thought they'll fall for that lie, we're stuffed.

Welcome comrade :(

Apparently May was 400 votes off an overall parliamentary majority and Corbyn was about 970 votes, spread over several constituencies, from becoming PM. A frightening thought.

I've been through a few elections and have a keen eye for shenanigans but I've never known anything like it and we're not out of the woods yet.

All the Labour MPs who hated Corbyn and were silent in the election campaign are now being wheeled out in support of their glorious leader like they really mean it. Ditto on the other side.

Unbelievable that it's come to this. I think we deserve better.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
So Emily Thornberry still thinks Labour won the Election, Jeremy Corbyn still thinks he can form a government despite losing the election by about 60 seats and 2million votes, Diane Abbott increased her share of the vote despite the frankly ludicrous lack of knowledge and clear incompetence (who the heck voted for her?). People think the Conservatives are in chaos! I think everyone needs to calm down and take stock of their senses.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Had a thought today.

Remember the Conservative leadership election last year between Boris and Gove?

The drama and the back-stabbing? The along comes May to save the day?

Do you think she was a put up job to cut through the enmity?

And if so are the Conservatives now regretting that?

When everyone, and I mean everyone except Psychic Bob, thought she was keeping herself busy with Brexit stuff it turns out that loads of MPs haven't even had a chat with her since she was 'elected' as leader.

I watched the last few weeks in the run up to the election from behind the sofa like it was a weird political episode of Dr Who. One grenade after the other. When she lobbed one at pensioners with a couple of weeks to go I thought they'd blown it.

Then Corbyn offers free education to students, including those starting this year and the not so subtle bribe/hint that he would write off existing student debt I thought they'll fall for that lie, we're stuffed.

Welcome comrade :(

Apparently May was 400 votes off an overall parliamentary majority and Corbyn was about 970 votes, spread over several constituencies, from becoming PM. A frightening thought.

I've been through a few elections and have a keen eye for shenanigans but I've never known anything like it and we're not out of the woods yet.

All the Labour MPs who hated Corbyn and were silent in the election campaign are now being wheeled out in support of their glorious leader like they really mean it. Ditto on the other side.

Unbelievable that it's come to this. I think we deserve better.

We certainly do deserve better but unfortunately you X the box and that's it. Unfortunately through my lifetime I've come across very few politicians who genuinely want to do something for the country - I find most of them are motivated by power and greed with an overwhelming sense of their own importance. It still irritates me immensely that politicians (some of whom were even banged up for the expenses fiddle) are automatically tagged, on election: "The Right Honorable"! I think most politicians have a "grudge" scorecard - Mayhem apparently got her own back on Osborne because he tried to get her sacked for what he thought was a dismal effort at supporting the "remain" camp before the referendum. So it wasn't surprising to hear the "Dead woman walking" comment from him on Sunday. I have no doubt that Bumbling Boris will get revenge on his back-stabber Gove one day - in a funny way he's more likely to have the opportunity since they both have cabinet posts - watch this space as they say.

I think the fact that many MPs have never even had a chat with Mayhem is probably down to her personality (or lack of). She is obviously not a "people person" and "working on Brexit" probably gave her the ideal excuse for a closed door policy while her two minions ran around like the proverbial files in the jampot. At least they have gone and she has to be more open than it seems she has been. Your idea that she might have been a put up "plant" holds quite a bit of water - even back then only Boris and Gove were were the only real contenders (the PM's job had already become a poisoned chalice once Cameron abandoned ship and neither of them were especially popular with their colleagues).

Along the way, things like Clegg's broken pledge that he would never support tuition fees must have set up a grudge with young voters which may have been a factor in the election. Then there are the Knighthoods... we never learn.

I used to work for a "very long in the tooth" chap who had been around "for ever" with rather radical views on society, government and our constitution. He made one or two remarkable forecasts - for example he foretold all about the confrontation with the miners years before it happened so he was quite an interesting bloke... I can hear him now - he would describe the total fiasco of the last couple of weeks as the stuff of revolution.

Ever since I had the vote, I always had to pick the best of a lousy choice and I do wonder if it's time for our whole political system to be overhauled? But if it is - with what?

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Beeb says (17:59) that Sterling had stabilised in early trade, but by late afternoon had dropped 0.66% against the dollar to $1.2659 and fell 0.73% against the euro to 1.1299 euros.

It also highlights: EU nurse applicants drop by 96% since Brexit vote
- That won't help the NHS very much!

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Today's news is full of 'contrite' Mayhem apologising to Tory MPs..

I think an apology is due to the public.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Inflation has officially hit 2.9% which is 50% higher than BOE target (revised for Brexit).

We need the £/$ to steady/roll back.

triumphstag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 (2002) R230
Unfortunately it is very likely to fluctuate for some time now, had the Tories achieved a big majority then it would have risen and stabilised. Buckle up, going to be a rollercoaster ride over the next few months.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What a s*** and a shambles: -
These are far worse worries than what we (have to) hope is a temporary issue: -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40260423
UK government complacent as Europe launches new raid on London
- Hundreds of billions of trading in euros and 80,000 UK Jobs!

Reuters says: Germany will apply to host the London-based European Medicines Agency (EMA) and the European Banking Authority (EBA) following Britain's departure from the European Union, a government spokesman said on Monday.

Now we're definitely not talking of Project Fear - and our government apparently hasn't even started to do anything about it
- but now it's so weakened by the election fiasco that it doesn't look good at all.

Meanwhile back at Drowning Street...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ed-hardline-brexit-minister-department-clear/

Davis has lost half his Brexit negotiating team

- Apparently one was sacked and the other resigned in a post-election reshuffle.
- Davis only found out when he was informed by Mr Jones on Monday evening.
- But in other news it said Mayhem told Macron in France that we were on schedule
- I would have preferred it if were not negotiating to leave but you can't tie a bloke's arms behind his back and expect miracles.
If this is true, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes in protest - there are only a couple of days left...

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 2014 E350 coupe Bluetec D
I'm not sure why France is so bent on wrestling over € clearing, apart from its perceived value to them and the EU?
They (and all of the EU) do not have the infrastructure in place to mimic or relocate this service, which incidentally benefit the respective parties by providing a discounted clearance service.
Geography and currency denominations are not relevant these are 'virtual' transactions London clears globally - and we're very good at it!
The businesses that use this service would have to get a advantageous deal outside of the existing system to want to switch...
IMO;
The threat is not from the EU or France here, but New York who are in a position to step in rapidly - with Trump likely to back it heavily...
The previous and current noise from the French is sabre rattling ahead of negotiations in my view!

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm not sure why France is so bent on wrestling over € clearing, apart from its perceived value to them and the EU?
They (and all of the EU) do not have the infrastructure in place to mimic or relocate this service, which incidentally benefit the respective parties by providing a discounted clearance service.
Geography and currency denominations are not relevant these are 'virtual' transactions London clears globally - and we're very good at it!
The businesses that use this service would have to get a advantageous deal outside of the existing system to want to switch...
IMO;
The threat is not from the EU or France here, but New York who are in a position to step in rapidly - with Trump likely to back it heavily...
The previous and current noise from the French is sabre rattling ahead of negotiations in my view!

No point in bothering abut the details! France, Germany and USA are jealous of UK business and want to take it.
- As per BBC today:

The European Union has revealed a draft law to give it the power to move the lucrative euro clearing business out of London and keep it in the EU after Britain leaves the Union in 2019.

- As I said - it refers to 80,000 UK jobs.

Boris never mentioned that when he promoted "taking back control", did he?
- I wonder what else is up for grabs now?

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 2014 E350 coupe Bluetec D
100% agree on the govt's apparent complacency and disarray, however the draft law is to force EU based financials to clear euros within the Europe Union and this will ramp up costs to hundreds, possibly thousands of companies, the anti-competitive nature would lead to a serious backlash in the EU,
I don't pretend to know whether this is an enforceable law in the 'real world', but the news story does end by suggesting this would be a poor outcome for all parties (except possibly NY).

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
100% agree on the govt's apparent complacency and disarray, however the draft law is to force EU based financials to clear euros within the Europe Union and this will ramp up costs to hundreds, possibly thousands of companies, the anti-competitive nature would lead to a serious backlash in the EU,
I don't pretend to know whether this is an enforceable law in the 'real world', but the news story does end by suggesting this would be a poor outcome for all parties (except possibly NY).

Who cares? If the EU members did not want to "hurt" UK at the beginning, due to Mrts Mayhem's arrogant attitude they are determined to punish us so they can hold it up to the other members as "see what happens?"

As I said: 80,000 UK jobs.

triumphstag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 (2002) R230
Who cares? If the EU members did not want to "hurt" UK at the beginning, due to Mrts Mayhem's arrogant attitude they are determined to punish us so they can hold it up to the other members as "see what happens?"

As I said: 80,000 UK jobs.
POSSIBLY 80,000 jobs

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Don't split hairs! Why don't you say POSSIBLY Project Fear?

- POSSIBLY they will pass an EU law for it.
- POSSIBLY we will lose 80,000 jobs (if they pass a law WE WILL).
- POSSIBLY we'll have to pay more taxes to pay their UB40 benefits.

If you read my initial post you can see that my gripe is about our government which apparently hasn't even started to do anything about it - but now it's so weakened by the election fiasco that it doesn't look good at all... but of course you have to try and say something "opposite" to a post of mine.

Why don't you find something to argue about with my post about Davis' team losses?

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40237833

Can't argue with it really. The tories ran a DISASTROUS campaign.

I agree but we know who called the election after saying she absolutely would not do so - no less than seven times in public.
On a tv prog the other day they reckoned 72% of the public do not feel sorry for/forgive her.
- I still think she'll be gone sooner than later - the next issue is about getting the truth on the deal with DUP.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom