Whats your MPG ?

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Manages 47 - 50mpg on my daily commute, 30mls on A roads. Down to ~36mpg in town.
I have the same car as you and that's amazing (especially the 57MPG in the picture).
I really only use my car on long runs, but it's 20 miles of A roads to get to the motorway - it's all I can do to get up to 40MPG after a cold start (engine seems to take ages to warm up). Driving on the motorway *very* steadily at about 70MPH I can just get to 50MPG.

I would say though, that I've checked brim to brim and my trip MPG is pretty well spot on - have you ever cross-checked yours.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I have the same car as you and that's amazing (especially the 57MPG in the picture).
I really only use my car on long runs, but it's 20 miles of A roads to get to the motorway - it's all I can do to get up to 40MPG after a cold start (engine seems to take ages to warm up). Driving on the motorway *very* steadily at about 70MPH I can just get to 50MPG.

I would say though, that I've checked brim to brim and my trip MPG is pretty well spot on - have you ever cross-checked yours.

Yep, its within 2-3mpg. I've found I must take it gentle until the engine is warm (in my case about 5mins ~ 3mls) and no, I don't drive in slippers! :rolleyes:

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Yep, its within 2-3mpg. I've found I must take it gentle until the engine is warm (in my case about 5mins ~ 3mls) and no, I don't drive in slippers! :rolleyes:
I drive as the mood takes me, but if pressing on then the MPG will drop pretty quickly. If I drive with *any* haste, then 40MPG is impossible.

I wonder whether, when my mood is in economy mode (not the autobox, I always drive in S) I drive tooooo gently? I did read somewhere (maybe even buried in this thread) of a garage owner who took a lady MB driver who was complaining about fuel consumption, around a set route. I can't remember the exact numbers, but she got low 30's and he did the same route, driving more sharply, and got 40MPG.

Jack Sprat

Reaction score
I have the same engine in a manual saloon. I expect and get 50+ on the motorway. I was a bit "camera happy" when I first got the car photographing the 50.9 at 60, stuck the cruise up to 71 and got 55 mpg and best recorded 59.9 Averaged on the trip 48.1 over 2,100 miles Yes I am a sad case, but delighted :D

SJMaxson

Reaction score
Website
www.maxson.org.uk
Challenge accepted

Always ready for a challenge, looks like I've got some work to do here!

My C270 is on 45mpg in the 10,000 or so miles since the last service. On long motorway runs, I've had 52mpg recorded, so it looks like I'm a way behind at the moment!

djb

Reaction score
over a year with c200cdi auto

Just had my B service & this was the image of the memory that had been last reset when I had the car back from the a service.

IMG_3061.jpg

in reality as I brim & check the car all the time the real consumption was 41MPG

usage daily work and back 34 miles a week, (lucky me no commute!)

& 500 ml motorway every 5-7 weeks + other town etc.

The display shows
on the Mway I find if I drive @ 70 it regularly gets to above 55
@80 about 50
@ 90 about 42
@65 it got to 59 but dropped off as soon as I left the m way

My mind tells me round town 30 if I am lucky
Dual cw 40s
Mway sensible 45 ish / 50
mway silly 35-40

Mr Teddy Bear

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 W208 CLK 230K SPORT: MG F 1.8VVC: Flame Red Rover 216GTi
My 230clk Sport Kompressor Is One Year Old Today!!

..........that is one year old while in my ownership I should add.
I've been returning 24mpg in winter and 28 mpg last summer.
In January I returned approx 32 ish on a long distance trip to the Dark Peak
district & back. I'm hopfull of a further improvement this year after changing
the ATF.
I have noticed that now the autobox oil has been changed that there is a approx' 200rpm tick over difference between D & N. Clean oil less drag ?
I have also noticed that if one allows 30 secs or so for the box pump pressure to drop at tick over that the D to N shift is a lot easier.
Could this be less pressure baulking what must be some sort of sleeve valve on the end of the stick shift?
Any thoughts peeps?

T.B

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I drive as the mood takes me, but if pressing on then the MPG will drop pretty quickly. If I drive with *any* haste, then 40MPG is impossible.

I wonder whether, when my mood is in economy mode (not the autobox, I always drive in S) I drive tooooo gently? I did read somewhere (maybe even buried in this thread) of a garage owner who took a lady MB driver who was complaining about fuel consumption, around a set route. I can't remember the exact numbers, but she got low 30's and he did the same route, driving more sharply, and got 40MPG.

I always drive in S too. When I first had the car I drove very cautiously and the mpg was much lower than now. Could have been a tight engine but I've been told one should accelerate briskly through the gears to one's cruising speed. Seems to work for me! But it is imperitive to let the engie warm up before "pushing on" (not only for good mpg :rolleyes: )

W

W203-C220

2001 C220 CDI with non-functioning turbo...

Going purely on what the computer says, I never see less than 45 mpg overall and often hit the mid 50s during a regular M25 / M4 trip of about 55 miles. Really trying & making full use of the cruise etc I've had it touch 60 mpg

Bear in mind that the turbo almost never does anything and the autobox will always upshift at 2000 rpm or lower. The kick-down simply does not work either, manually knocking it down a gear can actually induce engine braking if you were revving as fast as it would go, quite alarming during overtaking! :-?

During brief times when the turbo-effect decides to join the party, revs obviously get higher with much more urgency and gears are held for longer & kickdown works. Drives more like normal I guess? But does this so seldom I wouldn't really know :roll:
Engine never gets over 2500 rpm in any gear generally yet goes pretty quickly once over 60 mph. Will cruise at indicated 90 mph all day long and return 60 mpg though.... I can easily live with that performance :D

The neighbour I bought it from did 'mostly' long motorway trips, it showed 63 mpg overall on the computer when I first drove it! His previous car was a non-turbo W202 model so he never missed the power it ought to have I guess.

W203-C220
C220 CDI Classic Auto Saloon (2001) 89K miles

Alex G

Reaction score
"diabolical"

I'm with Dave E55 :) Although I did get 28mpg on a 200 mile run to Lincolnshire but there was very little stopping/starting and very little thrashing, stuck to 85 most of the time.

Otherwise, it's Gallons Per Mile.....

gladholm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Black SL320 2000 R129
On my first tankful - returned 26.4 mpg. Brimmed and using odo miles. This included a gentle non-cruised motorway run and a blast to check out what it could do. Mainly dual carriageways where I stay, so using cruise control does tend to lighten the conumption.

Mikeroo

Reaction score
CLK 430 120 mile round trip, about 20 miles 30-50mph and the rest 90-100mph motorway and I get a pretty consistent 26 mpg. If I stick to 70-80mph then 30mpg is usually within sniffing distance.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded

All drivers doing the special fuel consumption test get the car into top gear as soon as possible

Eric Tilley

Reaction score
This is interesting, since taking delivery I have been driving with the auto in position C and pussy footing the throttle, on a decent trip out I get back with about 40mpg showing on the clock and the computer tells me overall ive done 37.6. I thought it was doing quite well. I wonder what it would return if I put my lead boots on. ( C180 auto petrol avantgarde)

Attachments

• Confederacy 022 (Small).jpg
    Confederacy 022 (Small).jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 33

Devallon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 C 250 estate W202
A170 diesel doese 55-59 - can 't get it over 60 ! (mpg)
E300 TD (W124) manages 36-38 mpg and I'm disappointed. Also very sluggish but that's another problem !

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Just got to add this piccy.

A nice quiet run this morning, not much traffic about so managed to take this just before I got into work :)

Well impressed, and the average is still over 20 (Just) :cool:

Click to resize:

Attachments

• MPG.jpg
    MPG.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 75

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Just got to add this piccy.

A nice quiet run this morning, not much traffic about so managed to take this just before I got into work :)

Well impressed, and the average is still over 20 (Just) :cool:

Click to resize:
I wonder if you were to stick a CDI badge on the back would it confuse the trip computer and increase the fuel economy?:-D :cool:

moneyman

Reaction score
Cross country trip last Saturday av 30.4mpg. In the 9000 + miles since I've had the car av is 25.7mpg. Not bad for a 5l V8:D

Ednamillion

Reaction score
After about 4 weeks of ownership....

To/from work (10 mile each way - 30 minute journey - 15 minutes in 1 mile traffic jam) just under 30mpg

Best (mainly motorway, 70 - 80mph, 36mpg (I think I could get another 2-3 mpg over this)

Regards,

Edna'...

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom