2008 W204 - warning about lights, but they are not broken

MBnewbie123

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class W204 2008 2 litre
Hi,

I recently bought a 2008 W204 and when I turn the ignition several warnings come up on the dashboard:

1) Right-hand tail lamp/brake lamp
2) Front left parking lamp
3) Front right parking lamp

But all those lamps are working. What do you think is causing the warnings to come up? And, how do I make them go away?

I did some research and discovered that MB, in general, seems to be awful for electrical wiring that is connected to lights. Apparently, it was so bad on the W204 there was a safety recall. I do not believe this car was recalled or even if it was I do not think the previous owner brought it in to be dealt with. Considering the defects(s) is/are most likely to be an inherent design fault, would a dealership fix this problem free of charge?

Other potential causes are welcome! :) And, of course, so are all (sensible) solutions :).

Hope everyone is well.

Last edited:

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
On a 2008 you probably have 2 parking light bulbs each side. They are little 5W 501 capless bulbs. Check they are all bulbs too. If they’ve been replaced with LEDs they can false alarm. On the back, the earth pins often burn where the plug goies into the rear lamp

OP
MBnewbie123

MBnewbie123

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class W204 2008 2 litre
On a 2008 you probably have 2 parking light bulbs each side. They are little 5W 501 capless bulbs. Check they are all bulbs too. If they’ve been replaced with LEDs they can false alarm. On the back, the earth pins often burn where the plug goies into the rear lamp
Thanks. All the lights are working perfectly. I think the problem will be a wiring one. Blooming nuisance!

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
As per the other thread of lighting & warning lights/messages, check the bulbs & holders for a good contact or even consider replacing them with decent make bulbs.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
I get the same sort of thing intermittently on my 2007 S203. I see the warning while all lights are on and working. I was told to clean up all the terminals but in the meantime I've found that 95+ % of the time if I switch the ignition off and on again the message goes away and the lights all continue working. It's witchcraft, I think!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom