190 Diesel buying advice

bwayeast

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 W124 250D
Hi,
Having sold my 230CE last year I'm looking to reaquaint myself with a Benz.
I need a no nonsense daily driver and that means something a little newer this time. I have settled on a 190. Its likely to be a diesel (although also tempted by the 2.6 petrol!)
I'm currently keeping my eyes peeled for a good one. Does anyone have any tips or advice on what to look out for faults wise?
cheers

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
Good choice the 190d 250 is your best bet, 50mpg. Quite nippy, but you must look under the car also for rust, as with any 20yr car, get a good one at the right price, and it will appreciate each year. Hope this helps

Some guy on the internet

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A few.
I had a 190 D 2.5 & couldn't live with it. Far too slow off the line & to get going. Found myself driving it into bends & roundabouts at kamikaze speeds as it was such a chore to build any lost speed back up. Never got even remotely near 50 mpg either, more like low 30s. It would run on SVO, but that is about the same price as diesel now so why bother?

If you are using it on a long motorway commute where it'll be running along at speed all the time & you won't actually need low down acceleration I suppose it would be OK.

The 190E 2.6 is far superior in every way IMHO.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom