Adblue sensor / tank replacement

JohnMB67

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d 2018
Engine warning light apparently indicates adblue sensor and tank issue, despite being filled up with adblue after a service. I’ve been advised around £1800 to replace, with £180 just to do a diagnostic test. It seems to be a common problem and clearly not fit for purpose! My car is <4 years old and <36k miles!! How can MB get away with this, as it clearly isn’t a one-off! Any suggestions please?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

Not great unfortunately and not uncommon. We’ve a thread on here where an owner managed to clear out the crystallised AdBlue. Please have a search.
The 36k miles has unfortunately partly lead to the issue as the lack of use means the crystals can form

Found the thread for you.

Reactions: DSK
OP
J

JohnMB67

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d 2018
Thanks. I’ll have a look.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Welcome!

Sorry to hear this and I guess we’ll be hearing a lot more of this as EU6 Adblue cars age.
I’ve advised my son who’s running a W213 to keep it under extended warranty but at £40pm that adds up

I don’k know how MB have the brass neck to try and extract £2k from owners of relatively new cars when it’s their bad engineering at fault.

Good luck with it and I hope you find a cheaper fix the Ad blue system is hardly a consumable and should last the life of the vehicle

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
more info in this link (with both NOx and Adblue issues part related the Post titles aren't helping us find them in search at a later date)

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
modern tractors are all dependant upon so many emission systems working as latterly designed - and with emissions and tractor death so concerning - expecting modern stuff to be allowed to stay on the road without it is all a bit silly

JHGC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-200
Hello. For the first time I had to fill adblue. I did it with 10liters. I call Mercedes and they said I could do it myself. So, I did until 3/4 of the ADBLUE deposit. More than thar, I was going to spoil add blue the bin. The next day the car did not recognize it. So I got the message that ther car was going to stop after 500 km. I went to Mercedes. The said my fox add blue sensor has broken. And a new one costs €1'000!!!. Is it the normal price?? Does someone can help me if the price they are asking is the right one? Thank you. Kind regards. José

OP
J

JohnMB67

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d 2018
Hi - a new add blue tank including sensor, cost me £1570! Car was only 4 years old and 40k miles. No assistance from MB, just had to pay and no cheaper via an independent MB garage.

JHGC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-200
Thank you John. It confirms that Mercedes Portugal is not doing anything different than other Garages worldwide... I never thought this could be a Mercedes policy. I know Mercedes is expensive but once you buy, the equipment is supposed to be ready for a lifetime...

siasoltan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class 2017
Hi all, same here, had my check engine warning light on and upon diagnosis today was informed the tank needs replacing for whopping £1580 !! my car is 5 years old and has 29,000 miles on. Got my car serviced in December 2022 by the same Mercedes dealership who filled the adblue tank. Any advice/update please?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hi all, same here, had my check engine warning light on and upon diagnosis today was informed the tank needs replacing for whopping £1580 !! my car is 5 years old and has 29,000 miles on. Got my car serviced in December 2022 by the same Mercedes dealership who filled the adblue tank. Any advice/update please?
Hello and welcome, you were sold a vehicle unsuitable for your driving profile :(

29K miles is 1.5 tanks of AdBlue - sitting around in the tank etc will have no doubt have caused it to crystallise - I'd get someone to clean it and replace the doing nozzle in the first instance... I wouldn't be dropping £1,580 off for a repair :shock:

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Thanks. I’ll have a look.
Yup familiar story... And well known bosch, benz f up. I just deleted by adblue and whilst at it egr. Not my preference but heartily sick of its dramas my tank ect was replaced just before I bought the car. But dramas back 4 Yr later. I , when chance comes going to try to same thing as the link you see . If I think that's issue I will put adblue back. No chance on egr that's simply another disaster engineered into the car.

siasoltan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class 2017
Hello and welcome, you were sold a vehicle unsuitable for your driving profile :(

29K miles is 1.5 tanks of AdBlue - sitting around in the tank etc will have no doubt have caused it to crystallise - I'd get someone to clean it and replace the doing nozzle in the first instance... I wouldn't be dropping £1,580 off for a repair :shock:

Hi, thanks a lot, agree! I should have bought a petrol car instead. I tried a couple of independent Mer garages in Leeds and they refused to look into it and said to take it to the dealer. By any chance do you know any garage in Leeds or Yorkshire who would be happy to have a look at the nozzle/valve for me?

Many thanks,

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi, thanks a lot, agree! I should have bought a petrol car instead. I tried a couple of independent Mer garages in Leeds and they refused to look into it and said to take it to the dealer. By any chance do you know any garage in Leeds or Yorkshire who would be happy to have a look at the nozzle/valve for me?

Many thanks,
You could give Prestige Motor Engineers in Ossett a call (01924 261821) - they do good work - I don't know if they do much with AdBlue though - but no harm in asking

siasoltan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class 2017
Many thanks, gave them a call and spoke to Shaun, they advised they do replace adblue tanks but never tried cleaning it, they said they are happy to try but no guaranty that would work. I will take the car to them and give it a try.

thanks

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Hi - a new add blue tank including sensor, cost me £1570! Car was only 4 years old and 40k miles. No assistance from MB, just had to pay and no cheaper via an independent MB garage.
That's because the labour is only about 2 hours to fit and install but the price of the parts will be about the same! So the saving across 2 hours labour will only be about £100.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
That's because the labour is only about 2 hours to fit and install but the price of the parts will be about the same! So the saving across 2 hours labour will only be about £100.
We had a warranty company claim who argued our labour rate over this job.

I had to ask them, what is the point of us doing the job, for essentially free?

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom