Answers FArom The Oil Expert Part # 2

Kevin OB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 280. CL 500 SL 500 Audi A4 Avant
Fully Or Semi

I Have Two Vehicles SL280 SL 500 the 500 Only Just Purchased,, All it life Done Short trips Lived in Jersey I See from the Service Records the Oil Used Was Semi-Syn The 280 I have always used Fully Syn Both wil only do About 5000k this year if that

Am I Going Overkill using Fully Syn as reading your thread I will do a oil change every year

Last edited:
OP
O

oilman

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.opieoils.co.uk
Your Mercedes
clk 2008
Hi

You could still use the semi, but the fully synthetic gives better protection.

Cheers

Tim

pitch1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Morris 1800S, Volvo 740, Triumph 2000/2500PI
By gosh the amount of information on this site is incredible. thank you all for the contributions.

One question, if the service interval is extended beyond the computer date, ( A service required ) how long before it changes to B service required and how is this reflected in the Service log book by an MB agent?

thanks guys.

silver bullet

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230k 2001
very informative and some interesting points in there about ptfe and wonder additives products both of which I have been suckered into buying many years ago thinking i was doing a good thing. I have a question on which oil to use for my 1990 230 W124 CE. Is there a particular oil and grade you could recommend please?

OP
O

oilman

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.opieoils.co.uk
Your Mercedes
clk 2008
Hi

Technically the oil should meet the MB229.1 or higher spec and a 5w or 10w-40, but that spec actually means very little in modern terms

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-716-mercedes-engine-oil.aspx

If you want a better oil pick one of the 5w or 10w-40s that meet any of the specs listed via that link.

Cheers

Tim

silver bullet

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230k 2001
much appreciated thank you. I see from my old receipts from previous owners that castrol magnatec 10/40 has been used several times so I reckon i'll go with that. mileage btw is 98'788 I assume magnatec is still relevant?
Best wishes
Trace

OP
O

oilman

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.opieoils.co.uk
Your Mercedes
clk 2008
Hi Trace

Magnatec is okay, nothing special though. For what it costs, I would go for the Fuchs XTR, which is a higher spec oil and better value.

Cheers

Tim

Top Cat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
(97) W202 C230 Elegance Estate
Hi Oilman

I've recently had 10/40 Magnatec put into my '97 W202 C230 at 136k miles, but from the details in the service book it appears to have had a life of synthetic brands such as Mobil 1 and Esso Ultron, should I have used (and also revert back to) fully synthetic oil again, and if so would Castrol Edge 0/30 be OK to use, or is Mobil 1 10/40 the way to go or should I go for a Fuchs product as you mentioned above?

OP
O

oilman

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.opieoils.co.uk
Your Mercedes
clk 2008
There is no technical reason to go back to synthetic other then the fact they are better then semi synthetic. You can use any of those brands, the Mobil 10w-40 is a semi synthetic, their 5w-40 and 0w-40 are synthetics.

Cheers

Guy.

nrg220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220cdi Elegance Saloon
what oil to use C220CDI

As I got home to day in my Sept 2007 220CDI elegance I realised I didnt have the owners books although car bought from a MB garage. Got a tad excited and didnt check, mind you neither did the saleman either. I will get them later but anyone know what engine oil it needs? its only done 6000 miles but figure I should get some to stick in the boot

Does this engine have a cast iron block or is it Aluminium like BMW

Thanks

Last edited:

mrcole

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 CDI - W168 A140 - W169 A150
Brilliant info, well done for saying what most of us think about "Additives"

OP
O

oilman

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.opieoils.co.uk
Your Mercedes
clk 2008
Additives are just a waste of money, unless you are trying to mask a serious problem.

Cheers

Guy

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Additives are just a waste of money, unless you are trying to mask a serious problem.

Cheers

Guy

Thanks Guy. A refreshingly honest yet brief view, and exactly what I have felt and believe to be true.

Nevertheless, with sufficient urban myths around, and people's subjective views as strong as they are, the point is unlikely ever to be accepted by some.

In the same way as some people change fully synthetic engine oil, and filter, every 5,000 miles on a direct injection car. Can't do any harm (to the car) but does it do any good?

OP
O

oilman

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.opieoils.co.uk
Your Mercedes
clk 2008
Yes and no. All oils degrade with time and use, so if the oil is designed for normal service intervals, I would advise changing it annually, even if it's only done 5k in that year. It's because the additive package in the oil breaks down due to oxidisation. Also if the car gets very hard use, such as track time, the service interval should be reduced.

If you would like some more info about aftermarket additives, have a look here

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/tech-articles/Aftermarket-oil-additives.pdf

Cheers

Tim

syncropaddy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
.... too many cars!
Hi Oilman .....

Can you offer me any advice on transmission oils for manual transmissions?

OP
O

oilman

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.opieoils.co.uk
Your Mercedes
clk 2008
In which cars? Generally it's an mtf in Mercs, but let us know what you have and I'll check on that

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
Oilman,

not sure if you reply to PMs, ive been getting some conflicting info on what oil grade to use in my SL500.

1995 SL500 withe the M119 engine, from what i have found it takes 8 litres of 5w40... which its had since about 50k miles.... its on 128k and due for a service. What would you recommend? i have also read that 10w40 semi synth is OK...

Last edited:

Arzaam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2002 c180
Due to a leaking pipe replaced by a previous owner I found that on my w203 Mercedes c180 the coolant was topped off with water rhoigh majority is still coolant
It's the yellow kind glacentine, is there a need to flush it and replace with new
Or is there any harm in running it diluted this way

I live in a place where it doesn't get below freezing so apart from this any harm?
As glacentine is very oily and libricates parts as well

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom