1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black smoke on acceleration (again) S210 E320cdi

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, Fuel and Exhaust' started by Nick Wood, Aug 30, 2017.

1. MarcBG

MarcBG New Member

Your Mercedes:
    2003 W209 CLK500 - 2000 W220 S320CDI
    I will clean them out over the weekend and post the results here.. the black smoke has returned today and it's just as bad as before (regardless of the vacuum transducer bypass & air filter removal)

2. MarcBG

MarcBG New Member

Your Mercedes:
    Well I could only undo the first two bolts holding the primary cat until the sun went down (will fully undo it tomorrow) and this is what the inside of the cat looked like, what do you guys think? Also I noticed the exhaust manifold had two cylinders where it was discoloured have a look at the pictures :S

Attached Files:

3. MarcBG

MarcBG New Member

Your Mercedes:
    No luck, removed the cats, honeycomb structures were intact, so gave them a thorough cleanse using brake cleaner followed by a sodium hydroxide bath and rinsed them countless times. Car still puts out big clouds of smoke. Still lacks power in the 1200rpm-2000rpm region (until the turbo kicks in) during that power region is when it smokes most. After 2000rpm the car no longer smokes (at least not noticeably). No limp mode or diagnostic codes either (checked on star diag).

Guess the only next steps are to either part out the car or sell it to the nearest car breakers. Was a great car while it lasted.

4. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    Something is telling it it's getting more air than is reaching the cylinders. Do you have any leaking pipework between turbo to intercooler to intake manifold or a leaking intercooler?

5. MarcBG

MarcBG New Member

Your Mercedes:
    Thank you for your reply - all pipes/hoses were removed last week and they were all in good shape, but did notice some oil residue on some of the joints where they connect. Today I've replaced all seals/o-rings (inc. thick o-ring between turbo to solid plastic part, and also the one where the EGR joins the metal pipe below it).

The only one left to do (tomorrow) is the o-ring between the end of the hose from the intercooler output & the start of the metal pipe that then goes to the EGR.

Also have replaced the vacuum transducers for the EGR & Turbo with new ones as the dealer previously mentioned the EGR Vac Transducer was bad. Even tried reinstalling the EGR bypass circuit by Dieselman that I had a while back.

No luck. I have just taken the car for a test drive, and black smoke is still there haunting me ( and other motorists behind the car :( )

Odd thing is, during the test drive, it partially blew the hose out of its place where it connects to the intercooler input and I could hear it hiss but still, it's putting out exactly the same amount of black smoke and power as it was before the work was done, is that indicative of anything?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019 at 8:15 PM
  6. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    Have you pressure tested the intercooler?